Did anyone like Raymonds shootout goal?

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Until the league outlaws it, players who can pull it off would be stupid to stop doing it.

It would never work on an old school goalie who lays out on his side with a poke check like Johnny Bower or Ken Dryden. Maybe instead of complaining about, goalies should devise a way to defend against it. It can obviously be defended as there's no way the puck is going to be raised.

Oh yeah, count me in as a fan who hates the shootout. Two teams play hard to get a tie game after 65 minutes and get 1 point each for their effort. Then one team gets another point for a skills competition. I don't like the 3 point games either. Every game should have the same number of points up for grabs.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I liked it. It was clever and if it works then use it. The puck was still moving and it's an effective deke move. Anderson could've poked it before he started his spin and he should know Raymonds tendencies from the coaching staff. Especially when he saw Raymond go to his right.

You can try and make excuses but he didn't come to a complete stop and the puck moved the entire time and yes it's still legal. Is it somewhat cheap? Sure. But it doesn't always work all the time and it's a risky maneouver and fun to watch for the fans. Which is what Hockey is really all about. Entertainment and pulling off high degree moves to help your team win at any cost.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
not a fan of the shootout, but c'mon, that moves almost undefendable, should be banned IMO.

BurnsBlue

Jun 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I dont think this poll is fair, should be, "should it have counted" haha, because i LOVED it, made me laugh so hard, against ottawa too, so even better, but it probably should not have counted :)

BayStreetBullies*

I can't believe so many people voted 'no'.

The shootout is a mockery of the spot, ergo, players should make a mockery of the shootout.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't mind continuing motion spinoramas but this one looked dicy to me - just looked like he stopped, then spun.

that being said, I'm way to happy about our first non-bozak player scoring a shootout goals in two seasons, and winnning our first shootout in two seasons to care at all.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If the NHL insists on having the 1 on 1 skills competition to resolve ties, then, the spin-o-rama move should be 100% allowed. Keyword being SKILLS!

Goal keepers need to find a way to stop it!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This goal by Grabovski on St Louis is a fine example of the spinorama shootout

Grabo manages to keep forward motion which is fine you can bring the puck back but the body needs slightly forward. Raymond went back and stopped, the goal shouldn't have counted.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
If it had happened to any team not named Ottawa (and habs/jets) I would have disliked the goal. Since I love being the controversial team that gets HFBoards blood boiling and makes rival fan bases mad. I love every minute of it.

Not Raymond's fault Anderson quits half way through the spin.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
Very encouraging to see how many posters hate the Shoutout!*! It's embarrassing that it exists.

As for the move, who and why do ppull care if the shooter stops, or loses forward momentum? Who cares.

Eliminate the gimmick.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If it had happened to any team not named Ottawa (and habs/jets) I would have disliked the goal. Since I love being the controversial team that gets HFBoards blood boiling and makes rival fan bases mad. I love every minute of it.

Not Raymond's fault Anderson quits half way through the spin.

With Alfredsson gone the battle for Ontario has lost its appeal. They haven't played each other in the playoffs for a decade and the only reason I hated Ottawa soo much was because of Alfredsson. With his move to Detroit it means I ****ing HATE Detroit so there is that hatred to lean on but I just don't feel the same towards Ottawa. In fact they have a young team with an amazing goalie and a great coach..i wish them nothing but the best, just not against TML.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
why didn't Ottawa follow suit then?

maybe they have more character than the Leafs? I didn't like it when Grabbo did it, and didn't like it last night. Until the NHL gets it's head out of it's *** this will continue, and as much as I think it's wrong apparently it is well within the rules, too bad, Anderson played a great game last night, how do you think he feels? Bad enough to lose on a shoot out let alone a stop.... pivot....score play while not maintaining any forward momentum.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Technically Mason Raymond didn't get the shootout winner. So Ottawa didn't lose because of it

hockeyfanz*

Thought it was complete BULL. Glad we won, but the shootout as a whole needs to be gone asap.

While I agree....with you...Raymond does it well and it is allowed so why not? The shootout is a sham...probably the worst change in the sport in recent memory. But until this ridiculous method of deciding a game gets canned, Raymond should exploit it.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I don't think anything even high sticking the puck in the SO should be illegal. Make it exciting if that's what the league wants.

SO is a ****ing joke!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad