Did anyone like Raymonds shootout goal?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
maybe they have more character than the Leafs? I didn't like it when Grabbo did it, and didn't like it last night. Until the NHL gets it's head out of it's *** this will continue, and as much as I think it's wrong apparently it is well within the rules, too bad, Anderson played a great game last night, how do you think he feels? Bad enough to lose on a shoot out let alone a stop.... pivot....score play while not maintaining any forward momentum.

If the refs say it's good the Sens take tbe supposed high road and still claim no it isn't, interesting. Have the Sens ever given back a goal because they were offside? I guess that has never happened. Have the Sens ever went up go the refs and stated we deserve a penalty for tbat last play? i mean since they are supposedly so noble and all.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I loved Raymond's shoot-out goal. Until it's deemed illegal then players should use it. I was laughing my ass off when I listened to Maclean crying to the media about it. "I'm only a fisherman from Nova Scotia, so what do I know" cry me a river Maclean cry me a damn river. Playing the victim card in his team giving ups 4-2 lead is a great way to be a leader for your team.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'd like to add, Maclean should've taken the high road. *****ing and complaining about a shoot-out goal is avoiding the big picture. His team gave up the lead, if they didn't do that there wouldn't have been a shoot-out. Ohh well love the comeback win from our boys. Awesome start to our season. Let's make it 4-0 on Tuesday!!!

Tyler Biggs*

If the league wants to end a game on a skills competition, you might as well allow any kind of shot that’s not kicked or thrown in. The real injustice to the game isn’t the spinorama, it’s the shoot-out itself.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If the Sens don't choke their 4-2 lead then we aren't having this discussion. Maybe MacLean should teach his team not to blow a lead instead of complaining about the shootout rules.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
I didn't like it.

With that said; I don't like the shootout; so I see it as a bad move that should be removed from the game; within a segment of the game that shouldn't exist. It's just a comedy act anyway; putting the accomplishments of the whole game on very limited actions by few players. You might as well do whatever is legally going to allow you to win and there is no honour lost in winning in this comedy act.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The NHLPA refused to have the rule-change about forward momentum/motion added, so that move + goal is absolutely legal and allowed.

Therefore, it's a good goal. There's nothing wrong with it.

It'll probably get taken out of the game soon enough, but as long as it's in there, it's a good goal.

I was at the game, and seeing it in real time was amazing. I have no problems with players taking advantage of the rules.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I find it hilarious that people complain about shots like that in the shootout. The whole damn thing is a gimmick. Using shots like that during a gimmick is perfectly fine by me.

I loved the goal, as much as I could hating the damn shootout.

Same here. Complaining about gimmicks within a gimmick is sort of like *****ing about the quality of the prize in a box of that godawful Cracker Jack.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Not really a fan of the shootout, I prefer the idea of the team winning based on team play, but I loved the goal. It's well within the rules for the time being, so complaining about it is simply ridiculous.

Also, I don't know if it's been pointed out yet, but we scored 2 goals, not just Raymond's, and Bernier was given the chance to face all three Senators shooters, and came out on top. So we win the game regardless, why bother moaning about the one goal anyway?

gymineer

Jul 15, 2010
One ludicrous element of the shootout; the sens were short handed for over a minute when the OT ended and still had a chance at winning the game without killing the penalty. They could have even used the player in the box in the shootout.

I've long thought there needs to be a rule change around penalties taken at the end of a game. In no other sport that I know of is a penalizing consequence negated because time expires.

Under the current rules, if a game is tied with 8 seconds to go, and you're on a half breakaway and I am the defensemen beside you, I would be an idiot to not trip you, cross check you, or do whatever it takes to make sure you don't get a shot. Because it's only going to be a 5 second powerplay.

They should play out the penalty in situations where it would allow a team that is losing or tied a chance to affect the outcome of the game.

I talk more about it here as rule number 4: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=805957

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I've long thought there needs to be a rule change around penalties taken at the end of a game. In no other sport that I know of is a penalizing consequence negated because time expires.

Under the current rules, if a game is tied with 8 seconds to go, and you're on a half breakaway and I am the defensemen beside you, I would be an idiot to not trip you, cross check you, or do whatever it takes to make sure you don't get a shot. Because it's only going to be a 5 second powerplay.

They should play out the penalty in situations where it would allow a team that is losing or tied a chance to affect the outcome of the game.

I talk more about it here as rule number 4: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=805957

So technically it is possible that a game will literally never end for the rest of time. If the PP continues on and another penalty occurs before it lapses they would then need to play out the next penalty as well. This could go on forever.

gymineer

Jul 15, 2010
So technically it is possible that a game will literally never end for the rest of time. If the PP continues on and another penalty occurs before it lapses they would then need to play out the next penalty as well. This could go on forever.

In theory yes, at the end of overtime, if both teams continued to take penalties, and no one ever scored, the game could go on indefinitely (just like the playoffs). It seems like this would be rare as someone would be likely to score in 3-on-3 or 4-on-3 or 5-on-3 situations, and there's little incentive to take a penalty when you're on minute 6 of overtime and you're on a powerplay.

If this was a concern it could quite easily be remedied by hard-capping the overtime period (for example: time could be extended, but by no more than 5 minutes).

The problem comes down to this: In pretty much every sport in the world, if you commit an infraction early in the game, there is a consequence. In basketball if you're fouled while shooting, you get to shoot free throws. In hockey, if you're tripped your team gets a 2 minute powerplay to try and score.

But in almost all other sports, that consequence in enforced consistently throughout the game. Hockey is the one sport where we throw away that consequence at the most crucial and exciting time of the game. I can trip you in the first period and you get a full 2 minute powerplay, but if I trip you with 20 seconds left, it's only a 20 second powerplay.

Aside from the "fairness" of it, it would make overtime more exciting and decrease the odds of games going to shootouts.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
It helped the Leafs win, apparently didn't break any rules, and pissed off the Sens. What's not to like?

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Didn't Grabo do something similar in a shootout? Did people complain about it then? If not, why is it different now that Raymond has done it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00