Did anyone like Raymonds shootout goal?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
In theory yes, at the end of overtime, if both teams continued to take penalties, and no one ever scored, the game could go on indefinitely (just like the playoffs). It seems like this would be rare as someone would be likely to score in 3-on-3 or 4-on-3 or 5-on-3 situations, and there's little incentive to take a penalty when you're on minute 6 of overtime and you're on a powerplay.

If this was a concern it could quite easily be remedied by hard-capping the overtime period (for example: time could be extended, but by no more than 5 minutes).

But that's already what overtime is. If you extend it another 5 minutes then eventually you run into the exact same problem, because you're not actually changing anything.

If a player is still in the box for a penalty at the end of the overtime period, that player should not be allowed to participate in the shootout. Barring that, I see no way that you could implement any real consequences, given that you run the risk of more penalties being called in the duration of extended play.

hockeyfanz*

If anything the goalie should've done a spin-o-rama at the same time.

On the spinorama move..Id like the goalie to come out and body check the player to the ice when he has his back to the goalie. Is that legal?

gymineer

Jul 15, 2010
But that's already what overtime is. If you extend it another 5 minutes then eventually you run into the exact same problem, because you're not actually changing anything.

If a player is still in the box for a penalty at the end of the overtime period, that player should not be allowed to participate in the shootout. Barring that, I see no way that you could implement any real consequences, given that you run the risk of more penalties being called in the duration of extended play.

You most certainly are changing something. You're not just extending time for the sake of extending time, your extending it to give a team a chance with the powerplay they've earned.

In this situation, a 5 minute extension would mean that you were playing 3 on 3, 4 on 3, or 5 on 3 for the entirety of the extension.

Last year Winnipeg had the worst powerplay percentage in the league, based on 2 minute infractions of 5 on 4 play. So even if you were playing Winnipeg and you took a 5 minute major with a few second left in overtime, they'd probably have about a 45-55% chance of scoring on you and ending the game. That's against the league's worst powerplay.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
You most certainly are changing something. You're not just extending time for the sake of extending time, your extending it to give a team a chance with the powerplay they've earned.

In this situation, a 5 minute extension would mean that you were playing 3 on 3, 4 on 3, or 5 on 3 for the entirety of the extension.

Last year Winnipeg had the worst powerplay percentage in the league, based on 2 minute infractions of 5 on 4 play. So even if you were playing Winnipeg and you took a 5 minute major with a few second left in overtime, they'd probably have about a 45-55% chance of scoring on you and ending the game. That's against the league's worst powerplay.

While I fully understand exactly what you are saying I believe that in this case it simply does not make sense to change the rules to accommodate the situation. It really complicates a black and white occurrence. Put simply it just doesn't make much sense.

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
This spinorama is the best spinorama.

This one was great because Grabo had scored a "regular" spinorama about a month before. So Conklin was ready for the move, and Grabo pulled that off. It was amazing.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's cheesy, but the shootout is cheesy. Complaining about this move is like going to a keg party and complaining about all the drunk people.

EDDIE20*

I'd like to add, Maclean should've taken the high road. *****ing and complaining about a shoot-out goal is avoiding the big picture. His team gave up the lead, if they didn't do that there wouldn't have been a shoot-out. Ohh well love the comeback win from our boys. Awesome start to our season. Let's make it 4-0 on Tuesday!!!

If Erik Norris had used the move to win during a shootout against us, McLean would have no complaints. His team blew a 2 goal lead. Maybe he should be adressing that little fact instead of *****ing about a goal.

Tyler Biggs*

Video shows Ottawa complaining about the shootout goal. As if their goalie was going to stop any other the other remaining 2 shots anyhow. Move on....next excuse please.

cujoflutie

Video shows Ottawa complaining about the shootout goal. As if their goalie was going to stop any other the other remaining 2 shots anyhow. Move on....next excuse please.

Ottawa was lucky they got to OT with the Kadri hook let go and a penalty shot not given in the last minute.

Since a shootout is just a circus anyhow, maybe they should just give a player 7 seconds to score; rebound, wrap around, spin o rama. At least then it would be somewhat incorporating more elements of hockey.

Tyler Biggs*

They should get rid of the shootout. And add another 5 minutes of OT. The OT is usually very exciting. But I don’t find the shootout exciting at all anymore.

Team First

Jul 18, 2010
I liked the fact that it counted, it's just that he didn't do it very well. It wasn't fluid (appeared to stop).....

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
They should get rid of the shootout. And add another 5 minutes of OT. The OT is usually very exciting. But I don’t find the shootout exciting at all anymore.

What if the extra 5 minutes doesn't produce a goal? Should we extend overtime to 20 minute periods?? :) Let's face it, the shootout is here to stay. It's best we learned to live with it.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
People who don't like the spin-o-rama need to relax and remove the cucumbers from their rectal cavities. It's a skill. One of the best, most exciting skills a player can master. And you want to ban it? Maybe we should also ban stickhandling too while we're at it. Oh, why stop there? Let's ban skating a full speed too! Oh, let's ban wristshots too! Because only highly skilled players can master those, and showing off skills you've spent years mastering is classless!

hockeyfanz*

People who don't like the spin-o-rama need to relax and remove the cucumbers from their rectal cavities. It's a skill. One of the best, most exciting skills a player can master. And you want to ban it? Maybe we should also ban stickhandling too while we're at it. Oh, why stop there? Let's ban skating a full speed too! Oh, let's ban wristshots too! Because only highly skilled players can master those, and showing off skills you've spent years mastering is classless!

how come players never use these cute moves in the course of a game like on a breakaway?

hockeyfanz*

What if the extra 5 minutes doesn't produce a goal? Should we extend overtime to 20 minute periods?? :) Let's face it, the shootout is here to stay. It's best we learned to live with it.

Replace the shootout with guys shooting pucks blindfolded at an empty net from their own goal line.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Looked like it didn't stop the forward motion (barely), so it looked legit to me. It's a gimmicky move in a total BS gimmicky shootout . . . but that being said, if we have to live with the shootout in the first place, it's a legit enough hockey move.

Tyler Biggs*

I think they should change the way points are awarded to teams to be more like European soccer. Here's my proposal:

Regulation Win = 3 points
Overtime/Shootout Win = 2 points
Overtime/Shootout Loss = 1 point
Regulation loss = 0 points

If teams got an extra point for winning in regulation (and one point left on the table for going to overtime), then I think you'd see a lot more wide open play late in games, and a lot fewer of them going to overtime.

Raymond used the same move with the Canucks several times. I'd prefer the shooter to shoot, or deke myself but ending the game with a winner is why the shoot out exists. As long as the goal tender is not interfered with I don't see an issue.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I think the shootout makes the nhl look like the travelling wrigley bros circus show to begin with.
Its a skill to be able to do that but its really unfair to the goalies and i really hope the shoot outs get taken out before players start with the robbie schrempf globetrotter crap

Im a leafs fan through and through but i was embarassed by that goal
If i were a goalie i would poke check his feet out mid spin

Tyler Biggs*

If NHL GMs and coaches are gonna sit there an nitpick what should and should not count in a shootout, then it's time for it to go. It's not even entertaining anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad