Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I expect him to assess entirety of what is in his best overall interest.
He'll take 2.5ish for 1 yr and continue to develop relatively friendly situation here w/NY.
That imo is the rule, there could be an exception.
Also Trouba can be dealt in 2 seasons when nmc => llimited ntc
Most of that 8m can be repurposed.
So yes, not immediate full $$$$ but I see enuf for him to stay
Where will Vesey fit in?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Our team sucks and we need something to talk about besides that, hardly leak mode, no different that any other team in a market like this.
Agree. But it’s idle chatter. Ideally Vancouver would trade Boeser, Myers and Garland. Resign Horvat and Kuzmenko…

But since your GM can’t find trade partners for those three bad contracts, he’s gotta pivot to what he can sell.

I’ll continue to laugh at the pointless leaks on Boeser and others.

But I think you’ll fetch a very nice haul for trading the other two guys. Your team will really suck after that… but if y’all win the Bedard lottery… that’s the best rebuild move since the Oilers were steered yet another 1st overall pick on the rigged McDavid lottery.

It’s time Vancouver got a rigged lottery in your favor. And that kid. Damn. He looks incredible. He looks better than MacKinnon, better than Matthews and better than Hughes when they were the likely #1 overall picks. He’s worth tanking for. Comparing Slafkovsky to Bedard is like comparing a Honda Civic to a carbon fiber racing Porsche.

Last edited:

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
And my point was that the "market price" is set by a feasible transaction. There is no feasible transaction in this case due to the things I mentioned earlier. This isn't video game hockey where every player has a compiled mathematical value. To have a market, you have to have a player ON the market, and Laf isn't. it's like on Pawn Stars where the shop and the seller are just clearly miles apart on value. The smart thing to do is shake hands and move on. Unfortunately, we get threads like this almost weekly because Habs fans are pissed off that they can't have their new French Canadian toy for peanuts.

Uhm. This thread is about how VANCOUVER is apparently interested in Lafreniere. It wasn’t started by a Habs fan. Nor was the rumour.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Where will Vesey fit in?
Vesey gets traded.
Only reason to have given him an extension is that:
(a) cheaper to do so now than before he hits the market
(b) very small term added to cheap price theoretically adds to his value

Our best long term interests are to move vets, play da kids

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Podholzin for Laf or Horvat and Kuzmenko with 50% retained for Laf.

Ranger fans are going thru what Edmonton fans went thru with Yakupov and JP. We felt they had much more value because of draft position, age and potential then what the GM's of the league thought. Every year you wait to trade a potential bust prospect just keeps lowering the value. Right now no team would give a 1st in the top 20 for Laf. Next season his stock will drop to a 2nd and keep dropping if he stays around 30 points.
I’d rather keep Podkolzin than trade him for Laf. Podkolzin’s skill, speed, and size are coveted abilities.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Ranger fans are going thru what Edmonton fans went thru with Yakupov and JP. We felt they had much more value because of draft position, age and potential then what the GM's of the league thought. Every year you wait to trade a potential bust prospect just keeps lowering the value. Right now no team would give a 1st in the top 20 for Laf. Next season his stock will drop to a 2nd and keep dropping if he stays around 30 points.
Horvat + Kuzmenko with 50% retention roughly equates to the value of 3 mid/late 1st round picks. Really doubt Laf is even worth half that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’d rather keep Podkolzin than trade him for Laf. Podkolzin’s skill, speed, and size are coveted abilities.
Podkolzin isn’t even an NHL caliber player in his D+3 season.

Give me a break. Dude is more of a poor man’s Nail Yakupov than worthy of fetching a LaF. And I say that gladly acknowledging LaF has fallen well short of expectations. But so has Podkolzin. Like painfully short. He’s just your most recent Olli Juolevi.

Though it appears Lekkerimaki wants in on this race to the bottom as well.

Even ole Jake Virtanen looks better compared to these guys.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Canadian Canuck

KevinFinnerty

I bomb atomically...
Mar 7, 2020
St.Augustine
Lafreniere is still untouchable. Look what Kakko is finally doing, its going to be Lafs turn soon. Trouba is available In a few years though. Hard hitting captain baby

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Kakko isn’t a comparable. He’s showing much more promise by the plays he makes and how noticeable he is. I swear he’d lead the league in 3rd assist lol.

Laf is nowhere near as noticeable and still has a lot to work on.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

Give me a break. Dude is more of a poor man’s Nail Yakupov than worthy of fetching a LaF. And I say that gladly acknowledging LaF has fallen well short of expectations. But so has Podkolzin. Likely painfully short. He’s just your most recent Olli Juolevi.

I mean, maybe if you’ve never watched Podkolzin play. Dude has a motor and is incredibly tenacious, playing with a high intensity level. His ceiling (not saying I think he actually hits it) is a Hossa type player.

right, and also, like last night, look at Necas w Canes, was considered underwhelming before this season
Not every top prospect puts it all together at NHL level right away
I agree, but for every Necas there is a Yakupov, Dal Colle, etc. Trading Laf is all about risk management. For every player drafted high that eventually improves, you can point to a player that busts/disappoints.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I mean, maybe if you’ve never watched Podkolzin play. Dude has a motor and is incredibly tenacious, playing with a high intensity level. His ceiling (not saying I think he actually hits it) is a Hossa type player.

I agree, but for every Necas there is a Yakupov, Dal Colle, etc. Trading Laf is all about risk management. For every player drafted high that eventually improves, you can point to a player that busts/disappoints.
Did you just use Hossa in a sentence comparing Podkolzin to him?

Wow. Podkolzin can’t even score goals in the AHL. His ceiling isn’t Hossa. It’s someone like Stephen Yelle. A bottom six forward that can hit and kill penalties.

But he’s probably just an AHL/NHL tweeter like S Dries.

Hoglander has more NHL potential than Podkolzin.

• Haha

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver

Give me a break. Dude is more of a poor man’s Nail Yakupov than worthy of fetching a LaF. And I say that gladly acknowledging LaF has fallen well short of expectations. But so has Podkolzin. Like painfully short. He’s just your most recent Olli Juolevi.

Yakupov and Podkolzin aren’t even similar in play style or even stature :laugh:

Podkolzin is nowhere near Juolevi/Virtanen territory.

The jury is still out on Lekkerimaki though he’s coming off a concussion.

Your ill obsessed trashing of the Canucks is hilariously embarrassing, especially when you say random crap like that.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Did you just use Hossa in a sentence comparing Podkolzin to him?

Wow. Podkolzin can’t even score goals in the AHL. His ceiling isn’t Hossa. It’s someone like Stephen Yelle. A bottom six forward that can hit and kill penalties.

But he’s probably just an AHL/NHL tweeter like S Dries.

Hoglander has more NHL potential than Podkolzin.
Dude come on, take a second to read my post and understand the context of it. I said Hossa is his ceiling and not saying that I actually thinks he hits it. You must have a really tough time watching the entry draft where they stylistically compare 2nd round picks to hall of famers, hey?

Like I said, I don’t think he actually hits that ceiling. Hoglander might have more offensive upside, but Podkolzin is more versatile and can play a better two-way game. If he develops well, I see him likely as a ~50 point, 2nd line forward who is defensively responsible.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Dude come on, take a second to read my post and understand the context of it. I said Hossa is his ceiling and not saying that I actually thinks he hits it. You must have a really tough time watching the entry draft where they stylistically compare 2nd round picks to hall of famers, hey?

Like I said, I don’t think he actually hits that ceiling. Hoglander might have more offensive upside, but Podkolzin is more versatile and can play a better two-way game. If he develops well, I see him likely as a ~50 point, 2nd line forward who is defensively responsible.
Sure. His ceiling is probably a middle six guy that puts up 40-50 points. His floor is Sheldon Dries and he’s closer to the latter than the former. He should be much farther along in his progress than he is today. He’s developing poorly with Vancouver. Good change of scenery candidate for the offseason.

Trade him + Hoglander to Minnesota for Marco Rossi.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Sure. His ceiling is probably a middle six guy that puts up 40-50 points. His floor is Sheldon Dries and he’s closer to the latter than the former. He should be much farther along in his progress than he is today. He’s developing poorly with Vancouver. Good change of scenery candidate for the offseason.
Lol. I don’t think you understand what a stylistic comparison or ceiling (when stylistically evaluating a player). It’s if everything went perfectly, that’s the type of player he’d be. It’s not what’s actually going to happen. You’re taking a far too literal approach to this.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015

I know Horvat is a rental, but he has more value than Laf does currently. Laf has about the same value (maybe less) than Dach, which was 13oa and a 3rd in a weak draft. Horvat will get a later 1st in a deeper draft, plus a couple other solid/higher end pieces. Why would we add Kuzmenko to this deal AND retain?

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Horvat + Kuzmenko with 50% retention roughly equates to the value of 3 mid/late 1st round picks. Really doubt Laf is even worth half that.
I'd say more. Kuzmenko is probably worth a mid-late 1st + solid prospect, he has 32 pts in 36 games which is 1st line production and is on an ELC, each of those have tremendous value. Horvat is easily worth 2 1sts and a 2nd + in value currently. Whether he gets that will remain to be seen, but he has that kind of value as a rental atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad