Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
No team will touch him with a top 11 lottery pick .
The true contenders would rather be getting someone to help their drive now.
So now that leave what 1st pick you may be able to get or what pick would you accept.

This isn't at the trade deadline. Remember, the context here is that Montreal supposedly expects to threaten NYR with an offer sheet in order to get Sather to green light a Laf for garbage trade. Thus, the contenders (of whom there are always more at the draft than there are at the trade deadline), would see trading their 1st rounder (2+ years away) for Laf (21 year old player with solid post-season experience) as someone who would help their drive now.

And again, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for this supposed threat to Sather. He's vindictive and so is Dolan (the main two people who would need to sign off on moving Laf). They would take less to move him somewhere else just to spite Montreal if they tried that nonsense.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This isn't at the trade deadline. Remember, the context here is that Montreal supposedly expects to threaten NYR with an offer sheet in order to get Sather to green light a Laf for garbage trade. Thus, the contenders (of whom there are always more at the draft than there are at the trade deadline), would see trading their 1st rounder (2+ years away) for Laf (21 year old player with solid post-season experience) as someone who would help their drive now.

And again, I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall for this supposed threat to Sather. He's vindictive and so is Dolan (the main two people who would need to sign off on moving Laf). They would take less to move him somewhere else just to spite Montreal if they tried that nonsense.
So no top 10 pick. I agree.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
So no top 10 pick. I agree.

What are you, 12? The Rangers aren't shopping him. Ergo the "correct" value is pointless to discuss. One of your fellow Montreal fans suggested trying to offer sheet him at the 2nd rounder range, which is where you jumped in to that conversation. The two arguments have nothing to do with each other. You want Laf in Montreal so bad? Pony up an offer sheet the Rangers can't match. With your cap space and the Rangers cap crunch, it shouldn't be that difficult, but you can bet your ass they would find a way to match until the return had Montreal's 1st rounder in it.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
4M wouldn't do it. They'd be able to free up that amount (barely probably by moving Goodrow and bridging both Chytil and Miller). If it gets into 5.5 to 6m, then I just don't see how they make it work.

That doesn't really work either. The moment they threatened an offer sheet, Drury would be on the phone and moving him somewhere for a 1st rounder in 15 minutes. Montreal either goes OS or they go home unhappy. An offer sheet COULD work, but it would be at least in the 1st rounder compensation area.
With no contract no team would give them a 1rst.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Chapter 3 of the Rangers signing off on a rebuild, only to sign Panarin and Trouba for 20 mil aav, and resign Krieder instead of dealing him.

Now we have stunted Kravtsov, Kakko, and LaF where they should've been getting growing pains playing 16+ mins and PP time.

I really hope they don't do the same with Othmann next season.

(Hell no about a LaF deal)

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Goodrow is making 3.6 million for another 4 years. He's a C who is good on draws, a staple on the PK, has playoff experience (multi-Cup winner), and puts up respectable production (he's actually having a career year IRT points). He's paid pretty much at the right value for a middle six guy. To trade him without taking salary back, the Rangers wouldn't likely get much of anything in return, but they wouldn't need to add a sweetener either. Goodrow is exactly the kind of player teams look to add for Cup runs.

As I said, if Laf is wiling to sign and Montreal is willing to get on the bad side of Sather, I 100% think that they could poach him via offer sheet. But to think that the 4.2 level of return would do it (or to think that Sather would make it easy on you by voluntarily trading him to you for that pittance) is a pipe dream.
Ok so let me get this straight.

Rangers have a 3.6M$ bottom 6er (he ain't a top6 guy) for 4 more years and he has value. Yet HG is adamant Dvorak at 4.2 is worth nothing?

Again, I'm just saying it'd be really hard for the NYR to match, and there would be little to no retribution cause the NYR cap os tied up for at least another 4-5 years minimum. More than enough time for Sather to lose his job.

Chapter 3 of the Rangers signing off on a rebuild, only to sign Panarin and Trouba for 20 mil aav, and resign Krieder instead of dealing him.

Now we have stunted Kravtsov, Kakko, and LaF where they should've been getting growing pains playing 16+ mins and PP time.

I really hope they don't do the same with Othmann next season.

(Hell no about a LaF deal)
We'll gladly OS him at 4.2 and sent you our 2024 2nd rd pick for him
Thanks

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
With no contract no team would give them a 1rst.

If Montreal wants him, the compensation from their offer sheet will have a first. Otherwise, he's not playing for Montreal. Get with the times. The age of Montreal getting all the French Canadian players for free ended several decades ago.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Ok so let me get this straight.

Rangers have a 3.6M$ bottom 6er (he ain't a top6 guy) for 4 more years and he has value. Yet HG is adamant Dvorak at 4.2 is worth nothing?

Again, I'm just saying it'd be really hard for the NYR to match, and there would be little to no retribution cause the NYR cap os tied up for at least another 4-5 years minimum. More than enough time for Sather to lose his job.

We'll gladly OS him at 4.2 and sent you our 2024 2nd rd pick for him
Thanks

Who was talking about Dvorak? And for that matter, who said anything about value for Goodrow? My post quite clearly said they could effectively give him away, not that they would get anything of value for him. I don't have any idea where you're pulling this nonsense.

And no, you will not get Laf for 4.2 and a 2nd rounder. That is sheer delusion. OS is a possibility, but the Rangers match anything that wouldn't result in a 1st rounder coming back.

Also, the Rangers cap situation is fine after next season. This year is the last cap crunch year.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I know Laf isn't for sale because I possess common sense. A team that has had exactly ONE 1st OA draft pick in 55+ years isn't going to give up early on him because he's had some (highly exaggerated) struggles. Where there is smoke, there is also the possibility of potheads talking about ridiculous bullshit. I think that's more likely than the "fire" you see on this topic.

You are right. This IS a discussion board. But discussion implies a give and take. 99.9% of Rangers fans aren't looking to move Laf. 99.9% of other teams' fans aren't interested in trading anything of real value for Laf. Ergo, there is no discussion here.

What this is is a group of people who simultaneously insist that Laf is awful, yet still get pissed off at Rangers fans that we don't want to trade him to your favorite team for a 4th round draft pick and your worst contract. Even the fans who ARE offering value are doing so completely oblivious to either the Rangers needs or their cap situation. And it is roughly the umpteenth thread of this type this year.

If you saw thread after thread that looked like this:

Fans of other team: "We want Lafreniere!"

Rangers Fans: "Naw, we're not giving up on him yet."

FoOT: "But we WANT HIM."

RF: "We wouldn't trade him for anything less than XYZ."

FoOT: "WHAT?! But he sucks!! Don't you know that he sucks!?"

RF: "Then why did you propose trading for him?"

FoOT: "Because he's a possible reclamation project, and that's worth a 2nd round pick and a Z prospect."

RF: "For that return, we'll just keep him as our own project and see how it goes."

FoOT: "If you won't trade him to us for bargain basement value, they you aren't discussing. Don't you know this is a discussion board!?"

You'd go bonkers as well. Yes. This is a discussion board. Laf is not available for anything barring (by our definition) a drastic overpayment that makes sense for the construction and cap situation of our team. Discuss away.
You’re really overstating things. No fan bases are pounding the tables screaming “We want Lafreniere!!!” Given his draft pedigree it’s interesting to consider risking the equivalent of a late 1st or so to see if he can turn it around elsewhere. He’s not interesting at all at yesterday’s prices.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
You’re really overstating things. No fan bases are pounding the tables screaming “We want Lafreniere!!!” Given his draft pedigree it’s interesting to consider risking the equivalent of a late 1st or so to see if he can turn it around elsewhere. He’s not interesting at all at yesterday’s prices.

And he's not available at Ollie's Discount Warehouse prices. Again, Rangers fans aren't the ones making the vast majority of these proposal threads. I don't know how many ways we can make it more clear.

• Haha
Reactions: JlindiesANA

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Laf is an RFA this summer and the Rangers are in a cap crunch with very few bad/moveable contracts. If he wants out, why would he not just wait six months and pick his location?
He doesn’t get to pick his location as a RFA, it’s either he signs with the Rangers, or sit, barring an offer sheet, which of course the Rangers have the right to match.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Who was talking about Dvorak? And for that matter, who said anything about value for Goodrow? My post quite clearly said they could effectively give him away, not that they would get anything of value for him. I don't have any idea where you're pulling this nonsense.

And no, you will not get Laf for 4.2 and a 2nd rounder. That is sheer delusion. OS is a possibility, but the Rangers match anything that wouldn't result in a 1st rounder coming back.

Also, the Rangers cap situation is fine after next season. This year is the last cap crunch year.
How is their cap ok? Do Panarin Trouba and Kreider mysteriously vanish? Fact is they won't.

Their cap isn't okay next year, and it certainly isn't any better in 2-3 years when Sheterskin needs a new deal and they need to either resign or replace Panarin.

The NYR are in a pretty sever cap crunch for th next 4-5 years until Trouba walks, who they'll still need to replace in their top4.

Worse case scenario, OS Lafreniere to a 4.2M$ contract for 2-3years, make sure the NYR can't sign him.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Salary cap pal. Wtf are you talking about? There won't be an "add" because there won't be a trade.
Rangers can't afford this type of rental move without lots of moving pieces.
yes they can absolutely afford Horvat at the deadline - the issue is he’d strictly be a rental, and they are not trading lafreniere for that

How is their cap ok? Do Panarin Trouba and Kreider mysteriously vanish? Fact is they won't.

Their cap isn't okay next year, and it certainly isn't any better in 2-3 years when Sheterskin needs a new deal and they need to either resign or replace Panarin.

The NYR are in a pretty sever cap crunch for th next 4-5 years until Trouba walks, who they'll still need to replace in their top4.

Worse case scenario, OS Lafreniere to a 4.2M$ contract for 2-3years, make sure the NYR can't sign him.
Those are all productive players whats your point?- trouba slightly overpaid but not by that much.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
And he's not available at Ollie's Discount Warehouse prices. Again, Rangers fans aren't the ones making the vast majority of these proposal threads. I don't know how many ways we can make it more clear.
His fair market value is what it is. That it’s far lower than before doesn’t make it bargain warehouse.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
yes they can absolutely afford Horvat at the deadline - the issue is he’d strictly be a rental, and they are not trading lafreniere for that

Those are all productive players whats your point?- trouba slightly overpaid but not by that much.
My point is that the cap won't magically disappear for the NYR, nor will it go up by 10M$ next year.

Fact is they have lots of $ tied up in a lot of players that have LT deals. They are very vulnerable to an OS. Just get in there, Habs offer Laf 4.2 M$ for 1 year or 2 and I'm sure he jumps on it to get out of NY ASAP. NYR can't sign him cause they have other RFAs to sign this year that will require a sever upcharge

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Their big ticket players are locked up for several years, and the flat cap is ending soon. They are in a cap crunch this summer if the cap only goes up by a million, but only because they have three RFAs who need contracts (including 2 who will need 3rd contracts). Trouba only has 3 years left after this one (and after next year, his NMC becomes a MNTC--I'd be shocked if Trouba finishes his contract here, particularly with how well Schneider has been playing). Panarin's contract has 3 years left. Kreider's NMC turns into a NTC in two years.

The Rangers are in cap difficulty this summer because they have key RFA's to sign, and few move-able contracts. With each passing year, those non-move-able contracts become more and more flexible, and the cap is expected to jump the year after next. The Rangers need to keep things controlled this summer and maybe a bit the following summer. After that, it's all gravy.

Will Montreal signing Laf to a 4.2m offer sheet make things more difficult? Of course. But difficult isn't impossible. They can make that work. So either way, Montreal won't get their boy. If you want to go high enough for it to hurt before the Rangers couldn't find a way to match.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Their big ticket players are locked up for several years, and the flat cap is ending soon. They are in a cap crunch this summer if the cap only goes up by a million, but only because they have three RFAs who need contracts (including 2 who will need 3rd contracts). Trouba only has 3 years left after this one (and after next year, his NMC becomes a MNTC--I'd be shocked if Trouba finishes his contract here, particularly with how well Schneider has been playing). Panarin's contract has 3 years left. Kreider's NMC turns into a NTC in two years.

The Rangers are in cap difficulty this summer because they have key RFA's to sign, and few move-able contracts. With each passing year, those non-move-able contracts become more and more flexible, and the cap is expected to jump the year after next. The Rangers need to keep things controlled this summer and maybe a bit the following summer. After that, it's all gravy.

Will Montreal signing Laf to a 4.2m offer sheet make things more difficult? Of course. But difficult isn't impossible. They can make that work. So either way, Montreal won't get their boy. If you want to go high enough for it to hurt before the Rangers couldn't find a way to match.
Trouba has a M-NTC, he'll put any rebuilding team on his list and every canadian teams also. So in order to trade him to a contender in the US you'll need tot ake a contract or do like the TBL did with McDonagh

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
His fair market value is what it is. That it’s far lower than before doesn’t make it bargain warehouse.

But the Rangers don't need to accept his "fair market value." He's under team control for several more years. The market isn't what someone determines is "fair." It's the price where a transaction can take place. Your "fair" is not close to enough for the Rangers to move him, and it's the Rangers who get to make that call. So no, his "fair market value" isn't far lower just because you want it to be. You are confusing "what you want to pay (ie: pipe dream)" with "what both teams will accept (ie: fair market value)." I don't see EITHER side as anywhere close to where the other side is at, which is why I don't see ANY "market" for Lafreniere right now.

For the record, I feel the same way re: Kane. A ton of people were going on and on about how Chicago would have to accept a 2nd rounder if Kane limits his potential teams. But they don't. They don't have to trade Kane at all. And that's why I don't want to trade for Kane. Because the "market value" is higher than what I would want the Rangers to pay.

Last edited:

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014

And affording a rental for a middling playoff run fit your #1 ovetall pick from 2020 is not good asset management.

Fans of this team look past this season. Fans who aren't, don't.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
My point is that the cap won't magically disappear for the NYR, nor will it go up by 10M$ next year.

Fact is they have lots of $ tied up in a lot of players that have LT deals. They are very vulnerable to an OS. Just get in there, Habs offer Laf 4.2 M$ for 1 year or 2 and I'm sure he jumps on it to get out of NY ASAP. NYR can't sign him cause they have other RFAs to sign this year that will require a sever upcharge

You are absolutely delusional if you think you are getting Laf for only a 2nd round return offer sheet. This is why so many people can't stand Montreal fans. You think you're just entitled to any player with a French Canadian name.

Trouba has a M-NTC, he'll put any rebuilding team on his list and every canadian teams also. So in order to trade him to a contender in the US you'll need tot ake a contract or do like the TBL did with McDonagh

Say the Rangers trade Trouba after next season. They retain half (freeing up 4 million in cap space immediately, and his replacement is already on the roster in Schneider). Trouba, for his 31 and 32 age seasons at a $4m cap hit? There would be plenty of teams interested. Easily a 1st round pick return. I still think he finishes his current contract as a member of the Florida Panthers (he and his wife own a condo in Ft. Lauderdale, just minutes from the Florida rink, and his wife, if not already done with her residency, will be done by the time the NMC becomes an NTC).

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
You are absolutely delusional if you think you are getting Laf for only a 2nd round return offer sheet. This is why so many people can't stand Montreal fans. You think you're just entitled to any player with a French Canadian name.

Say the Rangers trade Trouba after next season. They retain half (freeing up 4 million in cap space immediately, and his replacement is already on the roster in Schneider). Trouba, for his 31 and 32 age seasons at a $4m cap hit? There would be plenty of teams interested. Easily a 1st round pick return. I still think he finishes his current contract as a member of the Florida Panthers (he and his wife own a condo in Ft. Lauderdale, just minutes from the Florida rink, and his wife, if not already done with her residency, will be done by the time the NMC becomes an NTC).
How is FLA'S cap any better???

And were not entitled, Habs are just in a position where OS for Laf at 4.2M$ makes a ton of sense. They'l have 2 top10 picks this year and 20M$ frees up at the end of the year. It screws up a competitor than can't retaliate. It's good business

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
And affording a rental for a middling playoff run fit your #1 ovetall pick from 2020 is not good asset management.

Fans of this team look past this season. Fans who aren't, don't.
I see reading comprehension is not one of your strengths. That’s literally what I said.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
How is FLA'S cap any better???

And were not entitled, Habs are just in a position where OS for Laf at 4.2M$ makes a ton of sense. They'l have 2 top10 picks this year and 20M$ frees up at the end of the year. It screws up a competitor than can't retaliate. It's good business

Montreal fans have literally been penciling Laf into their lineups for years (I won't usually post on other teams' boards, but I do take a look from time to time). That's not entitlement?

And I agree that Montreal is in a good position for an offer sheet. I've said as much in this thread. Montreal has cap space and the Rangers are tight until the cap has a real increase. What's entitled is the thought that you will be able to get him on a middling offer sheet. If you don't want the Rangers to match, then you'll have to offer enough on the OS that the return would hurt.

And again, the Rangers would be in a position to retaliate as early as the following summer or the year after. And with Sather/Dolan still calling the major shots? You know damn well retaliation would happen (probably in a way that hurts both teams, knowing Sather/Dolan).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad