Rumor: Dhaliwal: Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

Bondra slapshot

Jul 21, 2009
Kevin Allen, one of the most decorated hockey journalists of all time, just shared on Buzzcast a few minutes ago that he spoke to a GM and was told that Drury received a lot of calls from several GMs checking in on the status of Laf. Drury said he was never available and still isn't. Kevin Allen is far more dialed in than Vancouver Media click baiters. Notice how all of this talk is also coming solely out of Vancouver. Lol. It's called an echo chamber. Vancouver is desperate to stay relevant in their echo chamber of fantasy narratives.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
Horvat is Miller 2.0.
Let's see how intelligent and vigilant Vancouver fans are.
This is gonna be a fun TDL

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Kevin Allen, one of the most decorated hockey journalists of all time, just shared on Buzzcast a few minutes ago that he spoke to a GM and was told that Drury received a lot of calls from several GMs checking in on the status of Laf. Drury said he was never available and still isn't. Kevin Allen is far more dialed in than Vancouver Media click baiters. Notice how all of this talk is also coming solely out of Vancouver. Lol. It's called an echo chamber. Vancouver is desperate to stay relevant in their echo chamber of fantasy narratives.

Horvat is Miller 2.0.
Dhaliwal literally said today on his show Canucks called the Rangers and the Rangers said he's not available

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

Horvat is Miller 2.0.
but doesn't that verify what dhaliwal said?

i mean you are correct that canuck fans and canadian fans in general do endlessly discuss player trades on the thinnest of pretexts and so do the media here, but there is actually a pretext here. he reported as a fact that the canucks are interested in laf and checked in on him. that seems to check out. whether the rangers will trade him was not reported and remains to be seen. dhailwal certainly did not report they were interested in moving him. unless and until a trade is done i would be surprised if the rangers would do anything but deny about a player like laf. if you put his name out there even off the record then his relationship with the club is permanently affected.

i would speculate though that you can interpret events one of two ways.

1. if this came from an agent, which is dhaliwal's usual mo, it was most likely to be laf's agent leaking the fact other teams are checking in on laf, which might be their way of giving drury a nudge that laf is unhappy with the scratch. the castenguay mention is a bit of a hint that this is what happened.

2. if this came from the canucks then this suggests it is a nothing story. canucks have been tighter than a drum with the local media since benning was fired in order to punish them for their part in the final days of benning. if the canucks have broken that embargo with the new year upon us, then you can be sure that this story if an official leak and therefore a red herring. they are not going to risk messing with any actual negotiations for laf so most likely they know there is zero chance.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Agree. But it’s idle chatter. Ideally Vancouver would trade Boeser, Myers and Garland. Resign Horvat and Kuzmenko…

But since your GM can’t find trade partners for those three bad contracts, he’s gotta pivot to what he can sell.

I’ll continue to laugh at the pointless leaks on Boeser and others.

But I think you’ll fetch a very nice haul for trading the other two guys. Your team will really suck after that… but if y’all win the Bedard lottery… that’s the best rebuild move since the Oilers were steered yet another 1st overall pick on the rigged McDavid lottery.

It’s time Vancouver got a rigged lottery in your favor. And that kid. Damn. He looks incredible. He looks better than MacKinnon, better than Matthews and better than Hughes when they were the likely #1 overall picks. He’s worth tanking for. Comparing Slafkovsky to Bedard is like comparing a Honda Civic to a carbon fiber racing Porsche.
Pigs fly and hell freezes over before we win a draft lottery.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Horvat for Lafreniere & a (mid/late)1st rounder.

Not sure what to make of this rumour.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Podholzin for Laf or Horvat and Kuzmenko with 50% retained for Laf.

Ranger fans are going thru what Edmonton fans went thru with Yakupov and JP. We felt they had much more value because of draft position, age and potential then what the GM's of the league thought. Every year you wait to trade a potential bust prospect just keeps lowering the value. Right now no team would give a 1st in the top 20 for Laf. Next season his stock will drop to a 2nd and keep dropping if he stays around 30 points.

Horvat and Kuzmenko for Lafrenriere? Oh, is that all??

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Meanwhile, NYR fans will try to tell you that Lafreniere produces like a first liner if you would just consider 5 on 5 production per 60 minutes on Monday, Thursday and Sunday nights only lmao.

Their desperate attempts to rationalize his poor play remind me of how LeBron tried to hide his receding hairline with his headband for a few years, and every year he had to wear it higher and higher, until he finally just pulled the trigger on a transplant.

NYR will pull the trigger on a trade eventually too.

😂😂😂

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Sure. His ceiling is probably a middle six guy that puts up 40-50 points. His floor is Sheldon Dries and he’s closer to the latter than the former. He should be much farther along in his progress than he is today. He’s developing poorly with Vancouver. Good change of scenery candidate for the offseason.

Trade him + Hoglander to Minnesota for Marco Rossi.
Not that I disagree he will be a second line player but I wonder what you thought of Nichushkin in his second year… they’re not that far apart in how they approach the game. He’s not a finesse player, he’s a player coaches love that plays in the details. He’s not producing offense but that’s ok for now, he’s in the AHL to help build that confidence.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Canucks interest in Alexis Lafrenière.​

Canucks interest in Alexis Lafrenière.

The Canucks know this player inside out, Lafrenière's old agent is current Canucks assistant GM Emilie Castonguay.

The Canucks have checked in on Lafrenière, he was made a healthy scratch last week by the Rangers.

The Rangers are very ware of the Vancouver interest in Lafrenière.

Lafrenière will not be cheap but the Canucks have the assets like Bo Horvat to pull this off, if the Rangers decide to move him.

Lafrenière is the type of player the new regime in Vancouver is looking for.

Before he was traded to Montreal, the Canucks were also one of the teams after Blackhawks forward Kirby Dach.

Lafreniere and Dach are the type of young players the Canucks are looking for.

Has this clown gotten anything right for the Canucks? He seems to say so and so are supposedly rumoured to go to van and ole Rick is always wrong.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
One half of that has happened

HELL freezes over: Temperatures in tiny US town plunge to -25C as big freeze grips US

The Rockford IceHogs are 7th in the AHL as well (TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League) so if they win there, it might happen!
:laugh:

Has this clown gotten anything right for the Canucks? He seems to say so and so are supposedly rumoured to go to van and ole Rick is always wrong.
Yes all the time in fact, very well connected, he talks about rumours, the same rumours that don't always come to fruition, hence why they are called rumours

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Podkolzin isn’t even an NHL caliber player in his D+3 season.

Give me a break. Dude is more of a poor man’s Nail Yakupov than worthy of fetching a LaF. And I say that gladly acknowledging LaF has fallen well short of expectations. But so has Podkolzin. Like painfully short. He’s just your most recent Olli Juolevi.

Though it appears Lekkerimaki wants in on this race to the bottom as well.

Even ole Jake Virtanen looks better compared to these guys.
Yes he is, our coach doesn't like him for whatever reason, he looked just fine out there with the big club, just hasn't been able to produce enough offense yet, hence why he is in the AHL. He is actually pretty good in his own end.

He is absolutely not Juolevi, for someone that knows so much about our team that comparison is just awful. What major injury screwed up Pods development like it did for Olli?

We don't need Pod to be a superstar yet, we need to play the slow game with him and watch him get better and better, which in my opinion will happen. He has the IQ, attitude and grit already, just needs to find his offense.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Yes he is, our coach doesn't like him for whatever reason, he looked just fine out there with the big club, just hasn't been able to produce enough offense yet, hence why he is in the AHL. He is actually pretty good in his own end.

He is absolutely not Juolevi, for someone that knows so much about our team that comparison is just awful. What major injury screwed up Pods development like it did for Olli?

We don't need Pod to be a superstar yet, we need to play the slow game with him and watch him get better and better, which in my opinion will happen. He has the IQ, attitude and grit already, just needs to find his offense.
Everyone always blames the coach. It’s easy and politically expedient for a fan base.

But He’s a new coach for y’all. Is Vancouver going to be a team that gets a new coach every season? And how’s that going to help his development when the coach is never a consistent?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Podkolzin isn’t even an NHL caliber player in his D+3 season.

Give me a break. Dude is more of a poor man’s Nail Yakupov than worthy of fetching a LaF. And I say that gladly acknowledging LaF has fallen well short of expectations. But so has Podkolzin. Like painfully short. He’s just your most recent Olli Juolevi.

Though it appears Lekkerimaki wants in on this race to the bottom as well.

Even ole Jake Virtanen looks better compared to these guys.
Podkolzin scored 14 goals his rookie season playing limited offensive minutes and has struggled at the NHL level in his sophomore season like many young players do. GTFO with this garbage.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
He used to be pretty good. He definitely has connections to agents, but his rumours at this point are just him acting as a mouthpiece for his agents (ie, nothing of substance).

Reactions: notsocommonsense

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
so you are saying the canucks are not interested in laf and have not checked in? because that is what he reported. a story about the canucks checking in on laf and being interested is not much of a story, but it seems accurate and certainly qualifies as newsworthy for a sports reporter tasked with covering the team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He used to be pretty good. He definitely has connections to agents, but his rumours at this point are just him acting as a mouthpiece for his agents (ie, nothing of substance).
Yeah that's the consensus I got from my mates here in Vancouver, that Rick is just clickbait.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Everyone always blames the coach. It’s easy and politically expedient for a fan base.

But He’s a new coach for y’all. Is Vancouver going to be a team that gets a new coach every season? And how’s that going to help his development when the coach is never a consistent?
Oh but it is the coach, Pod looked good so far this year and looked fine last year too, as I said, just hasn't been able to find his offense yet, he's young and we can and should play the long game here.

His development is being helped by being in the AHL and getting more opportunity.

Yeah that's the consensus I got from my mates here in Vancouver, that Rick is just clickbait.
Well your mates are wrong, if Rick is clickbait then I'm guessing every insider in sports is clickbait? Rick is the most connected guy in this city.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad