GDT: Devils vs. Panthers 2016-17 SEASON OPENER! 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Well Beau Bennett is also better than DSP at almost everything. I'm hoping he's the one that ends up as the 1st line RW

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
Things that lost us the game, not converting on power play chances, coaching decisions line wise, especially on the power play. Blown coverage on Barkov and the Panters just being a more talented team that has more chemistry at the moment.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
No, no it wasn't. Lets not kid ourselves. That was Severson loafing it because he thought the Panthers were changing, then getting trucked.

Getting trucked that way would be interference. Don't let your hate for Severson make you completely ignore the rules of the game.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Speers doesn't belong on the team. Wood shouldn't be on the 4th line. Josefson shouldn't be on the 3rd line.

Moore was better tonight and I think if that pairing stays together, Lovejoy is going to benefit him.

The forwards looked a little rusty to me. The young guys look clueless without the puck in their own zone.

I think Santini can do a better job than Quincey. Santini is a much better skater.

Auvitu looked better than I expected but still needs adjusting.

Was most disappointed in Hall. Thought he was invisible just about the entire game.

I think they played a good game against a good team. Luongo made some very big saves in this game.

Overall C+

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Honestly, this was homer game for a 100 pt team that has had our number. Teams offense was crap but we got a point. The Fiddler basicly killing half their pp at the end of the game was ridiculous.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Of course I would've loved to come out with a win, but a point on the road against a better team is good.

There are a lot of positive things I took out of this game. This team could actually do some damage.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No, no it wasn't. Lets not kid ourselves. That was Severson loafing it because he thought the Panthers were changing, then getting trucked.

Obvious interference is interference.

Unless they've changed the rules and you're now allowed to crush your man to the ice 28 minutes and 2 football fields after he's lost the puck, and right next to the net to boot....... it's interference.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Let's hope Hynes stop wasting Cammy AND Palmieri with Zajac. DSP can't be on Hall's line, just not fast enough. I don't care if he's got grit or anything, today's game is all about speed and skill, he lacks both.

Put Speers on a scoring line or send him back to the OHL.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm a little concerned Severson thinks the Devils played a "good game" and were "getting chances" - I sure didn't watch that game.

Palmieri at least seems to know they played awful in the 3rd.

GDDevils*

Getting trucked that way would be interference. Don't let your hate for Severson completely ignore the rules of the game.

I don't hate Severson, I hate the way he played tonight. And I'm not sure you understand what interference is. He was the last one to touch the puck, it was maybe a second since he had touched the puck, and it was still in his vicinity. That's not interference.

Bottom line is that he gave up on the play before he was even hit. That was the problem on that play and for most of the night. You can't be a top pairing defenceman and play like that.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I do recall some Oiler fans mentioning Hall takes some time to warm up.

Yea, and given that and how he is with a new team, he didn't do horrible since at times he looked dangerous, but other times I didn't even notice him on the ice haha. They have a day to get some things worked on or they will get spanked by the Lightning who are a much better team than the Panthers let alone the Devils.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Definitely had a rough start to the 3rd, but we definitely had some flashes too. I felt we were in the same ballpark as the Cats. They didn't blow us out of the water.

GDDevils*

Obvious interference is interference.

Unless they've changed the rules and you're now allowed to crush your man to the ice 28 minutes and 2 football fields after he's lost the puck, and right next to the net to boot....... it's interference.

Obvious exaggeration is obvious.

If the puck was that far away how did he get it right back, go behind the net and make a pass in less than 5 seconds?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
And I'm not sure you understand what interference is. He was the last one to touch the puck, it was maybe a second since he had touched the puck, and it was still in his vicinity. That's not interference.

Bottom line is that he gave up on the play before he was even hit. That was the problem on that play and for most of the night. You can't be a top pairing defenceman and play like that.

He tried to reverse it and didn't get all of it. Not sure why he tried to do it, but that's what he did. The thing is, it wasn't just a second, and the puck was nowhere near him. It almost looked like the panther saw the loose puck THEN shoved him.

GDDevils*

He tried to reverse it and didn't get all of it. Not sure why he tried to do it, but that's what he did. The thing is, it wasn't just a second, and the puck was nowhere near him. It almost looked like the panther saw the loose puck THEN shoved him.

And that's a puck battle, thus not interference.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They got dominated physically on the boards in this game. A guy like Kalinin might have helped a bit in that regard. I thought Greene got better as the game went on. Auvitu looks like a nice fit and had a decent game. The top line was hemmed by Jagrs line all night. Hall and Henrique were invisible.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
People saying that was interference make me wonder if I watched the same thing. I saw Severson fumble the puck and then get rag dolled. Regardless I have no idea what Cory was doing, how does he not see the pass? Puck was in and out before he even flinched.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Definitely had a rough start to the 3rd, but we definitely had some flashes too. I felt we were in the same ballpark as the Cats. They didn't blow us out of the water.

3rd period was rough. But really the forwards had almost no possession time in the other zone all night. I was disappointed in that.

I thought their breakouts looked good, I thought the defensive coverage looked good...there were points when Speers and Wood looked completely lost in the D zone. Wasn't impressed with Fiddler at all. He looked experienced in the faceoff circle the rest of his game was blah. I'm notsure what Hynes was thinking with that 4th line.. it looked like a stunt.

A lot of guys looked like they needed smelling salts.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

It was a second and the puck was definitely within his vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad