GDT: Devils vs. Panthers 2016-17 SEASON OPENER! 7:30 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I don't hate Severson, I hate the way he played tonight. And I'm not sure you understand what interference is. He was the last one to touch the puck, it was maybe a second since he had touched the puck, and it was still in his vicinity. That's not interference.

Bottom line is that he gave up on the play before he was even hit. That was the problem on that play and for most of the night. You can't be a top pairing defenceman and play like that.

I know what interference is. He was shoved off the puck and no longer had possession and the panther player kept initiating contact with him well after he no longer had possession and when the puck was near the right side of the net and he was on the left side of it. "A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck."

The contact to get him off the puck fine, the contact after he no longer had possession of the puck (a full second after, a full second after losing the puck and being hit is called a late hit) is interference.

GDDevils*

We got a point, which was more than we probably deserved. Hopefully this game shook some rust off and we have a better showing Saturday.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
The telling part that it was interference was Cory being pissed off saying something to the ref, he rarely gets pissed off let alone pissed off at a ref.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
And that's a puck battle, thus not interference.

The puck was on one side of the net and the players were on the other. They were a good distance from the puck and the Florida player had to reengage Severson after they had already left the puck behind and separated.

I don't even think interference is normally called in that situation but I think it fits the actual definition.

GDDevils*

I know what interference is. He was shoved off the puck and no longer had possession and the panther player kept initiating contact with him well after he no longer had possession and when the puck was near the right side of the net and he was on the left side of it. "A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck."

The contact to get him off the puck fine, the contact after he no longer had possession of the puck (a full second after, a full second after losing the puck and being hit is called a late hit) is interference.

Except he was still technically in possession of the puck. Even if he wasn't it was within his reach and would fall under the definition of a puck battle. Those hits happen every game and don't get called because it isn't interference.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I don't hate Severson, I hate the way he played tonight. And I'm not sure you understand what interference is. He was the last one to touch the puck, it was maybe a second since he had touched the puck, and it was still in his vicinity. That's not interference.

Bottom line is that he gave up on the play before he was even hit. That was the problem on that play and for most of the night. You can't be a top pairing defenceman and play like that.

Severson tried to stop and get back to the puck, which was about 6-7 feet back behind the net. But he couldn't, because he was barreled over. How exactly did he give up on the play? If you're misreading that simple logic, how are we supposed agree with any of those other mostly baseless conclusions?

Severson played very well despite fumbling the puck and being interfered with at the end there.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Impeding progress is interference. The ****ing puck or where it is has nothing to do with anything

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Whether or not it was interference is kind of a dumb thing to be preoccupied about. They lost a game they deserved to lose, and it wasn't because of a missed call. They were just thoroughly outplayed by a better team.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Except he was still technically in possession of the puck. Even if he wasn't it was within his reach and would fall under the definition of a puck battle. Those hits happen every game and don't get called because it isn't interference.

I think the puck was further away from Severson than you're remembering. The puck was far from reachable by Severson or the Panther.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ

No, it was not in reach. And there is no "last person that touched the puck can be hit anywhere on the ice, as long no one else touches the puck" rule.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Just for giggles, I just watched it on my DVR. He lost he puck about 2/3 of the trapezoid away from where he was hit, and the puck was bout 1/2 a trapazoid away when he went down, so it's closer than I thought.

The telling thing is, the Panther player definitely knew Severson didn't have the puck, since he knocked him over and in the same motion turned around to grab the puck, which he had to take 2 strides to get to.

It's close but I can understand them letting it go in OT.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If anyone cares to look @myregularface on Twitter has the gif up. The puck was NOT on the other side of the net. It was right there. I don't get what you people are looking at.

GDDevils*

Severson tried to stop and get back to the puck, which was about 6-7 feet back behind the net. But he couldn't, because he was barreled over. How exactly did he give up on the play? If you're misreading that simple logic, how are we supposed agree with any of those other mostly baseless conclusions?

Severson played very well despite fumbling the puck and being interfered with at the end there.

I'm not misreading anything. The puck most certainly was not that far away. These type of plays happen in every game without being called. Expecting them to be called in an OT period is foolish.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
People saying that was interference make me wonder if I watched the same thing. I saw Severson fumble the puck and then get rag dolled. Regardless I have no idea what Cory was doing, how does he not see the pass? Puck was in and out before he even flinched.

Both Severson and Hynes didn't make a comment about interference, Severson took the blame for that play, Hynes said it was a hockey play...eh whatever.

GDDevils*

No, it was not in reach. And there is no "last person that touched the puck can be hit anywhere on the ice, as long no one else touches the puck" rule.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth to suit your argument.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Except he was still technically in possession of the puck. Even if he wasn't it was within his reach and would fall under the definition of a puck battle.

Wait, what? LOL "Technical possession" of the puck? That's a new one.

Not to mention, it was not within his reach, and player was already turned around in the attempt to go back to the puck when Matheson (who clearly must have thought Severson still had the puck) was repeatedly checking him as if he still had the puck.

The Devils should have been blown out of this game, so I dont care about the loss, lucky to get a point, but that's a call that needs to be made.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
If anyone cares to look @myregularface on Twitter has the gif up. The puck was NOT on the other side of the net. It was right there. I don't get what you people are looking at.

The puck was slowly moving towards where the contact would evtually be made. Even with the puck moving towards them the Panther has to stride away to get the puck.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Interference. A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck. A "pick" is the action of a player who checks an opponent who is not in possession of the puck and is unaware of the impending check/hit.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Got a point in a game where the top two lines did NOTHING.

Zacha is going to be a two-way beast folks. I want him between Cammy and Palms at some point.

Japam

I love Matt Loughlin.
May 21, 2012
nj
If it was Lars it probably would've been lack of skill/foot speed/smarts. amirite, jimbo?

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Whether or not it was interference is kind of a dumb thing to be preoccupied about. They lost a game they deserved to lose, and it wasn't because of a missed call. They were just thoroughly outplayed by a better team.

I disagree, because I expect this team to struggle with gaining chemistry early on. So the fact that they battled for a point, and played a very good 2nd period despite being thouroghly outplayed at times, was a positive. They earned a chance to win the game. So IMO the penalty isn't meaningless, as you're suggesting.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Interference. A minor penalty shall be imposed on a player who interferes with or impedes the progress of an opponent who is not in possession of the puck.

It's this simple.

Bonus points for the fact Severson was turned and repeatedly trying to return to the puck and Matheson repeatedly checked him as if he still had possession of the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad