GDT: Devils vs. Islanders - Groundhog Day - 7:00 PM - MSG

What keeps you watching these games?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
You're going to post a thread I made a year ago when no one here knew he had his bad hip?

I mean you don't see me posting so much **** about him night in and night out knowing what type of injury he went through

Hey @BenedictGomez, is this a strawman fallacy?
And how about at the Anaheim game when you were making posts about him as he was getting scored on early? That was in December, after we knew about his hip surgery? Look, I'm not looking to fight with everyone over this, just didn't like that my post (which was not intended as a disparaging one on Cory) was taken that way. Although I guess I understand why it was, as I've had very little good to say about him lately, so I know I shouldn't take it personally. He did nothing wrong in this game.

Reactions: Maine Fan

Quest for Stanley

Dec 12, 2017
Is what not true? I'm honestly trying to figure out what you're trying to argue here. You, and a few other posters, seem to believe there's this vocal contingent of fans who constantly make excuses for Cory, when in reality most of us have accepted that he's not good anymore. You're not converting unbelievers here.

It's okay to say Cory had a good game. That's not the same thing as making excuses for him or thinking he's found his game again. It's like as soon as somebody dares say something positive about Cory they're immediately labeled defenders. It's such an odd, annoying, and often downright stupid habit society has these days.

I also don't know why you bristle so much at people saying we've had bad goaltending this year.
Cory played awesome! The Devils big guns didn’t get it done. Zero on the PP, 3on3 or shoot out

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol look at colorado. they want to trade varly for kinkaid. edmonton wants to offload talbot for schneider. this board is delusional and spoiled by decades of solid defense and legendary goaltending.
Talbot has been trainwreck bad this year.

One of the worst goalies I've seen. I mean, Cory has looked worse overall, but hasn't played nearly as many games to look as bad as Talbot has this year.

Talbot looks like a bum. He also had the nerve to bitch after being pulled in a game where he allowed 2 weak goals the other night.

I'll be irate if Shero signs this BUM next year (don't care how many good years he HAD in the past, he's not having them currently) to anything more than an AHL contract.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I mean, Cory has had a lot of justified criticism this year but when he finally shows a flash of his old self, the team shits the bed all over the place. Yes the lineup had plenty of chaff but they weren't the reason we lost. Hell one of the scrub a dub dubs scored our only goal! And a nice drive and shot at that.

I'm not worried about any wins in general but geez this one was sick. Plus missing the net twice in a row in the shootout is indefensible. Dekes are optional but forcing the goalie to at least make a save is not.

Fire Kowalsky into the sun, random fans could draw up plays with as good a chance of success.

I can't wait until Johansson is out of here too, I've had it with the casual bs all the time. It was terrific trade value at the time and Ray had the right idea, but he's another guy that's just cursed since he got here. He can't be out of here soon enough.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It’s all three. Just because the defensive warts that show up didn’t tonight doesn’t erase that fact.
That's fair, I don't like any of them, but we've had the others here for 4 years now to mixed results, but we've had this guy here for not even one year with very bad results. Results that were much better before he entered the picture. He also reeked of mediocrity in the AHL, so I tend to think this guy really is a huge achilles heel here on a coaching staff full of questionable characters.

Doesn't mean Hynes and Nas are worth a damn either.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I mean, Cory has had a lot of justified criticism this year but when he finally shows a flash of his old self, the team ****s the bed all over the place. Yes the lineup had plenty of chaff but they weren't the reason we lost. Hell one of the scrub a dub dubs scored our only goal! And a nice drive and shot at that.

I'm not worried about any wins in general but geez this one was sick. Plus missing the net twice in a row in the shootout is indefensible. Dekes are optional but forcing the goalie to at least make a save is not.

Fire Kowalsky into the sun, random fans could draw up plays with as good a chance of success.

I can't wait until Johansson is out of here too, I've had it with the casual bs all the time. It was terrific trade value at the time and Ray had the right idea, but he's another guy that's just cursed since he got here. He can't be out of here soon enough.

That pretty much sums up my frustration from the game tonight....

Reactions: mtnet

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean, Cory has had a lot of justified criticism this year but when he finally shows a flash of his old self, the team ****s the bed all over the place. Yes the lineup had plenty of chaff but they weren't the reason we lost. Hell one of the scrub a dub dubs scored our only goal! And a nice drive and shot at that.

FIRE KOWALSKY NOW!

And toll his pay for next year or however long he's signed for.

Reactions: mtnet

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have 0 shut down D-men. Salvador-Volchenkov was a better defensive pair than whatever we have now, which is pretty sad.
These defensemen are really not needed anymore, first of all.

Second of all, we have similar guys right now in Lovejoy, Santini, Mueller.

How many guys like that do you want?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The GM that did nothing to improve the defense whatsoever during free agency?

Yes, a great person to trust.
That wasn't even his worst move this offseason, He really punted this season when he didn't even make a pitch for that Russian guy!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Save % doesn't determine anything related to goaltending, especially a defense that gives up numerous turnovers and offensive chances in key scoring locations
I hate to ask this because by doing so, I'm now saying disparaging things about Cory after a game like this, but explain to me why Cory was so good in 14-15 and 15-16 behind really bad defenses? Those teams had awful defense and he had years that could have won him a Vezina if we were good and he won more.

In fact, one of the major reasons he didn't win more was because the defense was awful, had no guys that could produce offense on it, and couldn't even move it out of the zone. On top of really BAD forwards who sucked at defense and couldn't score either.

So you don't think that maybe he just declined? Or are you telling me he really wasn't that good back then? Because if you think he's not as bad as he has been now, you also have to say that he was never as good as he used to be either.

The only positive about those defenses over the current one was that Greene was a few years younger and better than the current version and Adam Larsson is better than Mueller/Santini/Lovejoy.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Team save percentage of .892. Only Florida is worse.

You blamed this season on Cory until your boy Keith turned into a pumpkin then rapidly changed your tune because it could never be Keith’s fault.
I don't think it's quite .892%. It was actually .898% before this game. I only know that because yesterday I pointed out how the team save percentage was actually higher than both Kinkaid and Schneider's individual save percentages, which is because of Blackwood.

It probably went up another point with Cory's performance tonight. .898% is still pretty bad. Hockey reference has it at .898% not including tonight's game, but maybe .892% is the even strength save percentage? Wouldn't surprise me, considering how good our PK has been. That's probably keeping the overall save percentage a bit higher.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I hate to ask this because by doing so, I'm now saying disparaging things about Cory after a game like this, but explain to me why Cory was so good in 14-15 and 15-16 behind really bad defenses? Those teams had awful defense and he had years that could have won him a Vezina if we were good and he won more.

In fact, one of the major reasons he didn't win more was because the defense was awful, had no guys that could produce offense on it, and couldn't even move it out of the zone. On top of really BAD forwards who sucked at defense and couldn't score either.

So you don't think that maybe he just declined? Or are you telling me he really wasn't that good back then? Because if you think he's not as bad as he has been now, you also have to say that he was never as good as he used to be either.

The only positive about those defenses over the current one was that Greene was a few years younger and better than the current version and Adam Larsson is better than Mueller/Santini/Lovejoy.
Yeah but that was when we had Adam Larsson tho. He made Schneids look like a modern legend. Haven’t you seen how much his presence has boosted Cam Talbot’s SVP% ?

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
One game doesn’t change the fact we have near bottom of the league goaltending.

You just point to SV% again. And again. And again.

But hey, don't think for a second that perhaps it is a terrible stat that mostly reflects the way the team in front of the goalie plays.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Just got home from the game. Haven’t been that pissed off after the game since the Johnny Mac era. I’m no Cory fan but the man had a great game, fighting for his career and this POS TEAM CANNOT SCORE FOR HIM?? The only guy who gave him a goal was KEVIN ROONEY!? GTFO. This team has no f***ing balls. The man needed a win and you f***ing did nothing to help him out. What a f***ing disgrace. At the very f***ing least Cory is a geniune good man who cares and he puts in his best performance in a year and you basically shit on him. Unbelievable.

/rant

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You just point to SV% again. And again. And again.

But hey, don't think for a second that perhaps it is a terrible stat that mostly reflects the way the team in front of the goalie plays.

Has a goalie ever played poorly in your eyes? Has any Devils goalie ever been bad?

Reactions: Bleedred

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Team save percentage of .892. Only Florida is worse.

You blamed this season on Cory until your boy Keith turned into a pumpkin then rapidly changed your tune because it could never be Keith’s fault.

Look, I've been as big a Cory basher as there is - because SV% made him look better than he was when he was winning, and the team played team defense in front of him.

He has been bad at times (the giveaways behind the net, and some weak early goals) but all three of our goalies have suffered the majority of their defeats at the hands of the players in front of them.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Just got home from the game. Haven’t been that pissed off after the game since the Johnny Mac era. I’m no Cory fan but the man had a great game, fighting for his career and this POS TEAM CANNOT SCORE FOR HIM?? The only guy who gave him a goal was KEVIN ROONEY!? GTFO. This team has no ****ing balls. The man needed a win and you ****ing did nothing to help him out. What a ****ing disgrace. At the very ****ing least Cory is a geniune good man who cares and he puts in his best performance in a year and you basically **** on him. Unbelievable.

/rant

Thank you for summing up with the strongest emotion, the last few pages here. From the TV looked like Cory was in God mode tonight, like OLD Cory good.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Has a goalie ever played poorly in your eyes? Has any Devils goalie ever been bad?

Of course - at times all of our goalies have been bad this season.
Just nowhere near the bad as their SV% looks for the past two years.

Like I said - Cory's SV% was more than a little bit inflated even when he was playing well - because he made it very hard on himself with grenade handling, poor rebound control and poor game management.

You guys REALLY can't see the difference between the way pucks stuck to Kinkaid last year when he was playing well and what we've seen from Cory all along? No difference in how often they freeze the puck or where they put the rebounds?

Cory is certainly to blame for Cory's losing streak - but it's foolishness to point to his SV% for any of our goalies as evidence of bad play.

Blackwood wasn't as good when he was .972 or whatever, and he wasn't as bad when he was .800 giving up 5 goals a game.

They are at the MERCY of the defense and the cross-slot chances they've been giving up, and it has an incredible snow ball effect.

Look at the goals against Kinkaid against the Kings and see how deep in the blue he's playing... Wanna know why? Because Butcher (and EVERYONE on this team) cannot cut a frigging cross-slot pass to save their lives. They are shitty defensemen when it comes to using their sticks, positioning... just about everything that makes a defenseman.

Reactions: haak84 and tr83

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
So in short the answer is no, no Devils goalie has ever played poorly, at least not for a full season. It has always been the defense's fault. It's the goalie's fault when his SV% is high (unnecessarily!) but it's the team's fault when it is low. Just needed to see it spelled out.

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
Poor Cory between that last minute post we hit in ot and no help whatsoever in the shootout I feel bad for the guy. He played amazing tonight.

Also really hate islanders fans so damn annoying for a fan base who hasn't done jack **** since the early 80s.
Word. Can’t stand the Piles. Hate that franchise more than the New York Raggies. I moved back to NJ in February 1995 in 6th grade. I lived in NJ from birth until 1988 and spent 7 years in Denver. There was no hockey in Denver then. The IHL had a team there my last year of residence there. They hadn’t even announced Quebec was moving yet. So I loved the NHL but never found any kids in school to relate to and share my love of the sport with. They all loved the Broncos and Nuggets. I’m not a fan of football or B-ball. Was already an NJD fan by the 94 playoffs. We moved when I was 5 and never got into the NJD my first stint living in NJ. So I watched whatever ESPN aired and started liking the Devs in the 94 playoffs because they came from my state and I liked some guy named Brodeur after I saw him.

So when I moved back to NJ I was happy to meet some hockey fans at my middle school. Only they were fans of the Piles. They were an arrogant bunch. Very boisterous bunch of creeps that had out of control egos over a hockey club that won the cup when they were probably a year old and a few others before conception. I wasn’t accepted because I was a fan of that joke club that played 15 minutes from us in that dumpy building opposite Giants Stadium. Because of these stupid jock meatheads this totally made me loathe the franchise. Their logo, their lame colors. I still loathe them. Serves those bunch of D’s right. They didn’t win another playoff round until 20 years later and it was against the Flordiques who also haven’t won a round in over two decades. The NJD won their first cup several months later. Hate that franchise.

Reactions: Satans Hockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad