• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
the islanders/mets fan crossover complex is REAL. hiding when bad, obnoxious when good. put them in first place, jesus f***ing christ. (sorry mets fam) there were nearly as many islanders fans at the rock tonight as barclays! :laugh:

i don’t think they’ve invaded like that since the meadowlands.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Pretty fitting this is what my stream froze on after I left for the gym:

upload_2019-2-7_23-24-49.png

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I also hate this argument about how the defense kills the tender and it’s never their fault. It reminds me of the NY Piles fans I talked about in the last post. I had to hear them trash the GOAT and tell me about how it was everything from Tommy Albelin to Bobby Carpenter being stud defensive players. While they rolled out Tommy Soderstrom and proclaimed he could do the same with Marty’s team and how Soderstrom was at the mercy of Rich Pilon. I remember being 13 and marking out over Corey Schwab in that fight with Soderstrom. I just wanted him to beat the f*** up of him to shut those trolls up. Comparing Brodeur to Soderstrom even in 1995 was majorly blasphemous. Soderstrom was out of the league the next season.

Reactions: New Jersey

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yeah but that was when we had Adam Larsson tho. He made Schneids look like a modern legend. Haven’t you seen how much his presence has boosted Cam Talbot’s SVP% ?
Talbot's save percentage pre and post Larsson is probably a greater disparity than Cory pre and post 2016-2017.

Talbot had one good year there after Larsson and it was a VERY good year, as I give a .917% goalie that plays 73 games MUCH more credit than a .920+% goalie that plays 50-60 games in a year.

Since then it's been pathetic.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
after tonight i *hate* the islanders again
I've hated them a while. Probably not to the @Cage Helmet extent. He's almost gotten into brawls at the Nassau before when we went. A bunch of us went to see the Devils play the Islanders (we used to go frequently, especially during a weekend game, so as to not fight traffic) probably in 1999. Luongo was in net for the Islanders. He must have been 16 and was ready to throw down with a bunch of grown up Islanders fans. Something about that logo and jersey always incited him. I had to warn his wife when we took her to a couple games in Tampa that he could get a bit obnoxious, especially for a sober person. But he's usually well-behaved when it's not the Islanders and we've never taken her to see the Islanders. I was a little worried when the two of us attended Patty night against the Islanders last year.

I hate that we're supposed to respect the Islanders though. I wish we hated them more.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I also hate this argument about how the defense kills the tender and it’s never their fault. It reminds me of the NY Piles fans I talked about in the last post. I had to hear them trash the GOAT and tell me about how it was everything from Tommy Albelin to Bobby Carpenter being stud defensive players. While they rolled out Tommy Soderstrom and proclaimed he could do the same with Marty’s team and how Soderstrom was at the mercy of Rich Pilon. I remember being 13 and marking out over Corey Schwab in that fight with Soderstrom. I just wanted him to beat the **** up of him to shut those trolls up. Comparing Brodeur to Soderstrom even in 1995 was majorly blasphemous. Soderstrom was out of the league the next season.
Two things I remember about Soderstrom.

First of all, he was TERRIBLE. Which probably explains why his stint in the NHL ended before he was 28 years old.

Second thing I remember was Schwab beating him up.

That's about all I remember. He was a scrub in net. Looked like a goalie that the league was chock full of about 10 years earlier.

Good ole Rich Pylon LOL. I think his son plays for Washington now. As soon as I saw his last name (I can't even remember his first) I thought ''What are the chances these two are related?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Just got home from the game. Haven’t been that pissed off after the game since the Johnny Mac era. I’m no Cory fan but the man had a great game, fighting for his career and this POS TEAM CANNOT SCORE FOR HIM?? The only guy who gave him a goal was KEVIN ROONEY!? GTFO. This team has no ****ing balls. The man needed a win and you ****ing did nothing to help him out. What a ****ing disgrace. At the very ****ing least Cory is a geniune good man who cares and he puts in his best performance in a year and you basically **** on him. Unbelievable.

/rant

Welp the Groundhog Day meme sure fit Cory today :P

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
cory looked like his old self again last night, hope he can build on it. if i were him i would feel good after that game even in a loss. season isn’t about winning games anymore but small victories like that

Reactions: None Shall Pass

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I thought it was a good game for the most part. The HAD to support Cory and Cory looked like the guy Lou traded the #9 pick for.This team is NOT outscoring anybody, so let's see how good they CAN play defensively.

With that said, the D still isn't that good. The Isles goal was a big WTF. Their intelligence, as a collective, is sorely lacking.

Isles are a really good defensive team. I mean, FFS their goalie is Thomas Greiss, who I'm sure @Bleedred tore to shreds during the game, has had a really good season so far.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Of course - at times all of our goalies have been bad this season.
Just nowhere near the bad as their SV% looks for the past two years.

Like I said - Cory's SV% was more than a little bit inflated even when he was playing well - because he made it very hard on himself with grenade handling, poor rebound control and poor game management.

You guys REALLY can't see the difference between the way pucks stuck to Kinkaid last year when he was playing well and what we've seen from Cory all along? No difference in how often they freeze the puck or where they put the rebounds?

Cory is certainly to blame for Cory's losing streak - but it's foolishness to point to his SV% for any of our goalies as evidence of bad play.

Blackwood wasn't as good when he was .972 or whatever, and he wasn't as bad when he was .800 giving up 5 goals a game.

They are at the MERCY of the defense and the cross-slot chances they've been giving up, and it has an incredible snow ball effect.

Look at the goals against Kinkaid against the Kings and see how deep in the blue he's playing... Wanna know why? Because Butcher (and EVERYONE on this team) cannot cut a frigging cross-slot pass to save their lives. They are ****ty defensemen when it comes to using their sticks, positioning... just about everything that makes a defenseman.

Nah couldn’t possibly be the system and how the players are coached. Plus can you show it on a whiteboard?

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Lol at this heat map. It’s almost like the isles force their shots from the outside. Also, this is cory’s Ideal shot map if you ask me, he’s best downlow and close in.

Attachments

• D28E2521-5A73-4810-AE9C-D52F539DD20A.jpeg
    D28E2521-5A73-4810-AE9C-D52F539DD20A.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 24

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
As bad as Cory has been he has deserved at least two wins to end that awful streak.

Tonight and that game we scored three own goals on him.

I want this monkey off his back so he is feeling better mentally, then we can better assess what, if anything, he has left physically.
I think he should have won a few games just by luck. Just by us outscoring the other team. But last night he legit played well and you should be able to win the game while only allowing one goal.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Lol at this heat map. It’s almost like the isles force their shots from the outside. Also, this is cory’s Ideal shot map if you ask me, he’s best downlow and close in.
thats barzal

i remember watching highlights pre-draft and noticing how he ALWAYS work the perimeter.

also, what pissed me off last night during our PKs was how tight our diamond structure was to defend it. isles had so much space and time to make passes and shots around the perimeter

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
thats barzal

i remember watching highlights pre-draft and noticing how he ALWAYS work the perimeter.

also, what pissed me off last night during our PKs was how tight our diamond structure was to defend it. isles had so much space and time to make passes and shots around the perimeter
I'm fine with giving them extended zone time but keeping them to perimeter shots. In fact, with our current defensive talent and lack of foot speed with our D, I think it's the only way for us to keep the puck out of our net.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
I'm fine with giving them extended zone time but keeping them to perimeter shots. In fact, with our current defensive talent and lack of foot speed with our D, I think it's the only way for us to keep the puck out of our net.
PK was way too passive, and gave them too much respect though. i still don't know how our PK is so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad