GDT: Devils @ Stars - 2:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Like it or not, he shouldn't be playing this many games. And this was his first particularly good game in 2 weeks and his first great game in 4 weeks.

So let's pump the brakes a little bit because I know the only thing I've heard over and over and over and over and over and over more than myself saying Daws NHL career could be ruined is cherry picking and conveniently boasting over one game sample sizes.

I mean what's next? McLeod has a 2 goal game on Tuesday and it's ''Oh yeah! I heard McLeod was the worst goal scorer ever tho! And how he's gone 25 games without a goal 3 different times in his NHL career!''.

The larger sample size would not indicate Daws has been ruined, but it would indicate he is NOT ready for the NHL yet.

What do you think? Because he doesn't allow 3-4 goals EVERY SINGLE GAME that he's somehow NHL ready? And that it's good idea to keep playing him like this?

Where will you be when he inevitably has a bad game or two coming up soon?
Never said he was or wasn't NHL ready yet. I also don't post repeatedly that his career is ruined by playing in the NHL when the Devils have no other reliable options.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh yeah he's absolutely not ready for the NHL or to be penciled in as a backup yet. His play is really good for us to know he can play at the NHL speed with some competency but yeah he hasn't been super great lately. He's shown enough flashes during his season with us however that I'm pretty optimistic about him being a player for us in the future.
I'm more worried that we've forced him to play too many games at this point and being in the NHL right now I would argue is not good for his development.

He's now already played more games as a rookie than Marc Andre Fleury, who also struggled and was sent back later that season, as well as having the NHL lockout that ensured he would not play an NHL game at all the next season.

Remember when Carter Hart was called up very quickly by the Flyers? He was a little younger than Daws is now (so was Fleury) and he did well, but he had that horrid season last year.

There's a lot of examples that it's not great for goalie's development to be in the NHL with this little pro experience.

The highly touted Spencer Knight is not having the greatest of seasons this year after being inserted into the NHL at a very young age.

Right now the Hammond trade looks to be completely useless, as I was for it with the idea that it sends Daws back to Utica and sees Hammond and Gillies get the remainder of starts (unless Blackwood comes back before the year ends or one of those guys are injured before that happened), but the only purpose they seemed to have with it was to ensure Gillies didn't dress for games at all anymore and that Hammond got in there when Daws needed a rest.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Never said he was or wasn't NHL ready yet. I also don't post repeatedly that his career is ruined by playing in the NHL when the Devils have no other reliable options.
And that's the reason that he shouldn't be playing so much and should have been sent back.

Because we are sacrificing his career because we have no other reliable options, in a season that was LOST a LONNGGGGGG TIME AGO. Basically Daws at this point is the difference between probably crossing the 60 point barrier and possibly falling short of the 60 point barrier.

And as I've said to others, if you really value Daws as a prospect, you should WANT him in the AHL and away from the NHL team at this point.

By the way, I'm surprised you haven't asked me to eat crow on Zacha for his goal today. His first point in 6 games I think? Yeah, give him a new contract!

Some of you are so warped with this ''You're only as good (or bad) as your last game'' stuff.

Reactions: Offseason Champs

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Potentially the most surprising thing about Nico's goal was how happy he looked after, and that he didn't look like he was on the brink of collapsing after that shift
6c0yub.jpeg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
8th game this season where the Devils have held the opponent to 1 or fewer goals.
To be fair to Daws, even though he's struggling, I'm guessing he's been in net for about 4 or 5 of them?

Blackwood had 2 shutouts, so there's 2 of the 8 right there.

Gillies had that one game where he allowed just one goal to Montreal in the blowout win that got Ducharme fired. I know he didn't have a single other one goal against (or fewer) start.

I don't think Schmid had a fewer than 3 goal, if not 4 goal against start.

Pretty sure Wedgewood didn't have a fewer than 3 goal against start in the few games he played.

Did Bernier have a 1 goal against game? I know he had a bunch of 2 goal against games.

Off the top of my head (no cheating to look it up), Daws had a one goal against game against Buffalo in his first ever start all the way back in October.

Daws had a 1 goal against game vs Pittsburgh

Daws had a 1 goal against game vs Anaheim in a shootout win

That's 4 including today's game, but I think he had one other one goal against game in there, unless it was Bernier or Blackwood that did.

EDIT - Ahh, I had to cheat to look it up. It was Blackwood against Columbus in January. That was literally Blackwood's like only good game after early December. He had a fairly simple shutout against Philly in December and a 2 goal against game in a shootout loss to Ottawa in December. Everything else after November, outside of those 3 games was a disaster for him.

Reactions: My3Sons

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
And that's the reason that he shouldn't be playing so much and should have been sent back.

Because we are sacrificing his career because we have no other reliable options, in a season that was LOST a LONNGGGGGG TIME AGO. Basically Daws at this point is the difference between probably crossing the 60 point barrier and possibly falling short of the 60 point barrier.

And as I've said to others, if you really value Daws as a prospect, you should WANT him in the AHL and away from the NHL team at this point.

By the way, I'm surprised you haven't asked me to eat crow on Zacha for his goal today. His first point in 6 games I think? Yeah, give him a new contract!

Some of you are so warped with this ''You're only as good (or bad) as your last game'' stuff.
Why would I ask anyone to eat crow because Zacha scored a goal? Sure, I like him but he is what he is.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why would I ask anyone to eat crow because Zacha scored a goal? Sure, I like him but he is what he is.
Well, basically coming in here to celebrate Daws having a good game by saying this is indicative of it not being a detriment to his development by being in the NHL as many games as he's played this year, is like celebrating when Zacha scores a goal or god forbid Michael McLeod has a 2 goal game on Tuesday (which I'm pretty sure he has one 2 goal game in his career in the NHL, was it this season? Or last?) using that as evidence that McLeod is not a poor goal scorer.

For the past month it's pretty much been downhill for Daws and I'm not sure that's good for his development. He really shouldn't be here. He's gonna have some good games like he did today if he continues to stay up, but he'll probably take some more beatings and maybe even get yanked in a couple of them, only to get thrown right back in there the next game.

Reactions: My3Sons

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
On the Nico goal, i was told by the crypto guy and others that we MISSED BAD in 2017 with the Nico pick ……very interesting. Go Nico go.

• Haha
Reactions: Blender

MVP Zacha

Feb 8, 2012
Kansas
Well, basically coming in here to celebrate Daws having a good game by saying this is indicative of it not being a detriment to his development by being in the NHL as many games as he's played this year, is like celebrating when Zacha scores a goal or god forbid Michael McLeod has a 2 goal game on Tuesday (which I'm pretty sure he has one 2 goal game in his career in the NHL, was it this season? Or last?) using that as evidence that McLeod is not a poor goal scorer.

For the past month it's pretty much been downhill for Daws and I'm not sure that's good for his development. He really shouldn't be here. He's gonna have some good games like he did today if he continues to stay up, but he'll probably take some more beatings and maybe even get yanked in a couple of them, only to get thrown right back in there the next game.
I agree that he should be in the AHL. But also don't think the Devils are ruining his career because they have no other viable options at goal.
Please point out where I came in to celebrate anything. I said he had a great game.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Technically speaking, Lays is the Rangers version of NJ Devslolz but he’s not far off.

Yeah they're probably closer but they've got a few NJ Devlolz. I think Crypto is even further and will never ever say anything remotely positive about us

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I agree that he should be in the AHL. But also don't think the Devils are ruining his career because they have no other viable options at goal.
Please point out where I came in to celebrate anything. I said he had a great game.
The celebrating, boasting, whatever, about ''All I've heard over and over and over and over is about how we're ruining his career'' would seem to indicate that you were using today's game to shoot that down and argue against that. Where were you to argue against that when he was getting blown up the last handful (or the better part of the last handful of games) of games when I was heavily preaching that we're flirting with ruining him?

Playing him because we have no viable options in goal (in a lost season) is actually a pretty good reason not to keep playing him in the NHL.

if he weren't struggling (and he has been struggling since his early surge), I wouldn't think it was the worst thing to keep him up. If we needed to depend on him to make the playoffs? I wouldn't think it was the worst thing, although he'd need to play as well as he did up until the last 3.5-4 weeks if it was gonna do anything to help us make the playoffs. This is assuming we were still on the bubble and not on the bubble of the first overall pick.

Reactions: NJDevs26
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad