GDT: Devils @ Stars - 2:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Maybe it's more about the player and less about the action, you know? If a guy is way over his head like Schmid was earlier this year then they definitely send him back. Unfortunately it's an unknowable question because we'll never know if Tedenby flamed out because he was rushed to the NHL or if that was always destined to be his lot in the NHL.

Eh, Tedenby has had a fine pro career in Europe but he's never been near the league leaders in scoring in the various leagues he's played in. It would've been nice if he could've had a full season in Albany, but I don't know if that would've done it for him. In addition to his sub-NHL hockey sense, I thought Tedenby's biggest issue was speed. He had great shiftiness but didn't really have the sort of top end speed a player like him would've needed to succeed.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That could be beneficial.

Could be, but given that the NHL is now saying that the cap will remain static for 2 more years and could rise significantly in the third, I think that means holding back Holtz's ELC burn makes more sense.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Could be, but given that the NHL is now saying that the cap will remain static for 2 more years and could rise significantly in the third, I think that means holding back Holtz's ELC burn makes more sense.
If it rises in his free agency year then you’re no worse off than you will be if you delayed it a year.

I think Holtz is likely scoring enough goals by the end of year 3 that it’s likely a moot point but I’d probably take the gamble and burn this year.

Imagine if Hughes had gone to college for a year and pushed his free agency until the end of next season. The Devils would have gotten better value from his ELC and likely much less value from his second contract.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
We need a list of posters who wanted to strip Nico of the C. That was terrifying how people could think that.

giphy.gif

This is all a joke of course! :laugh:

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
If it rises in his free agency year then you’re no worse off than you will be if you delayed it a year.

I think Holtz is likely scoring enough goals by the end of year 3 that it’s likely a moot point but I’d probably take the gamble and burn this year.

Imagine if Hughes had gone to college for a year and pushed his free agency until the end of next season. The Devils would have gotten better value from his ELC and likely much less value from his second contract.

The Devils are in different phases of their rebuild for these two things, though. It's not hard to look at a Devils future with Sharangovich and Mercer signed reasonably long-term and think that this team is getting awfully hard to fit under the cap at $83.5M, but at ~$90M it might be significantly easier. Staggering Mercer and Holtz's ELC expiration seems like a good idea as well.

I'm normally a burn the ELC guy, I know Dellow argued for it on Twitter as well, I think it's pretty negligible for non-contenders. But there's unique circumstances right now.

Reactions: Devils731

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Nico's latest stat update since the all star break:

24 games played, 12 G, 18 A, 30 points, somehow managing a +3 plus/minus, and shooting at 21.8%.

He has been an absolute beast in this latter part of the season. Love everything our sweet Swiss boy does for us.

Best part about that for me is you could half his SH% which is more in line with his career average and he’s still PPG

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Vintage Nico. I fondly remember him dancing Slavin two years ago in Carolina and Doughty in LA during his rookie year. I like off the rush plays so those goals I remember most from Nico

The one where he toyed with Barzal a couple of years ago reminded me of this one

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Not to mention the we have to trade him to change the culture instead of getting rid of passengers like Zacha and make actual improvements with the ‘culture’

Yeah but Zacha was our leading scorer from the start of last season up until that point which obviously mean he was great and unmovable

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred and Oneiro

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yes, this was low hanging fruit but I too went right for it.

Wait a minute he's shooting at 10.8% on a career average of 10.8%!?!!? This is an outrage! I was told that his 16.5% last year and his 17.39% to start this year was his new norm and he'd never regress to his career average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad