GDT: Devils @ Stars - 2:00 PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I have worries about how Holtz overall game will turn out but I don't really have any doubts that he won't at the very least be a 2nd line caliber goal scorer with PP upside.

Yeah, his skating worries me for 5v5 play and him being able to create on his own but he should be lethal on the powerplay whenever he gets here and honestly if he fixes those issues for us, he’ll be an amazing asset since our 5v5 play seems great.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Zetterlund used his large ass to block out Benn and tie up Heiskanen in front of the net on Nico’s goal.
jdhku2anylg51.jpg
He’s hulking out there and ripped his clothes.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Alexander Holtz? The guy who's ppg in the AHL as a 20 year old? That guy is gonna bust?

Just don’t want to count him as sure fire before he shows it here, I wouldn’t blame other fans for being excited for him though.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Just don’t want to count him as sure fire before he shows it here, I wouldn’t blame other fans for being excited for him though.
Yeah i'm a big Holtz believer but I'm also pragmatic enough to know that until he can prove he can play in the NHL we shouldn't take him for a certain piece. I'm pretty optimistic though from what he's been doing so far. My only pushback is about attaching or insinuating the B word about him

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Great game by Daws although I have heard over and over and over and over and over that the Devils have already ruined his career.
Like it or not, he shouldn't be playing this many games. And this was his first particularly good game in 2 weeks and his first great game in 4 weeks.

So let's pump the brakes a little bit because I know the only thing I've heard over and over and over and over and over and over more than myself saying Daws NHL career could be ruined is cherry picking and conveniently boasting over one game sample sizes.

I mean what's next? McLeod has a 2 goal game on Tuesday and it's ''Oh yeah! I heard McLeod was the worst goal scorer ever tho! And how he's gone 25 games without a goal 3 different times in his NHL career!''.

The larger sample size would not indicate Daws has been ruined, but it would indicate he is NOT ready for the NHL yet.

What do you think? Because he doesn't allow 3-4 goals EVERY SINGLE GAME that he's somehow NHL ready? And that it's good idea to keep playing him like this?

Where will you be when he inevitably has a bad game or two coming up soon?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Brett Nico Holtz
Mercer Jack Sharangovich

What a nasty top 6

I'm just hoping that Jack line can find more consistency and be better. On paper it looks like it should be great but in practice they've been more like "fine" and have been very up and down.

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Like it or not, he shouldn't be playing this many games. And this was his first particularly good game in 2 weeks and his first great game in 4 weeks.

So let's pump the brakes a little bit because I know the only thing I've heard over and over and over and over and over and over more than myself saying Daws NHL career could be ruined is cherry picking and conveniently boasting over one game sample sizes.

The larger sample size would not indicate Daws has been ruined, but it would indicate is NOT ready for the NHL yet.
Oh yeah he's absolutely not ready for the NHL or to be penciled in as a backup yet. His play is really good for us to know he can play at the NHL speed with some competency but yeah he hasn't been super great lately. He's shown enough flashes during his season with us however that I'm pretty optimistic about him being a player for us in the future.

Reactions: Bleedred

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I'm just hoping that Jack line can find more consistency and be better. On paper it looks like it should be great but in practice they've been more like "fine" and have been very up and down.

Forsberg would be a sick add if we want Mercer at center long term, would be weary of his shooting % this year for the contract he wants. But he’d be the perfect linemate for Hughes and the last guy I’d be willing throw a UFA bag on.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Oh yeah he's absolutely not ready for the NHL or to be penciled in as a backup yet. His play is really good for us to know he can play at the NHL speed with some competency but yeah he hasn't been super great lately. He's shown enough flashes during his season with us however that I'm pretty optimistic about him being a player for us in the future.

Personally I have no expectations for like any young goalie outside of the "stars". If he makes it as a good goalie in a few years then cool. If he doesn't then that's what I expected anyway.

Reactions: Offseason Champs

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
As Mercer grows and matures that line is going to be straight up filthy. Important to remember he's still a rookie and just hopefully at the start of how good he'll become as he matures. Hoping Sharangovich takes another step next year to hit that 30 goal mark.

Reactions: My3Sons

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

I mean what's next? McLeod has a 2 goal game on Tuesday and it's ''Oh yeah! I heard McLeod was the worst goal scorer ever tho! And how he's gone 25 games without a goal 3 different times in his NHL career!''.

The larger sample size would not indicate Daws has been ruined, but it would indicate he is NOT ready for the NHL yet.

What do you think? Because he doesn't allow 3-4 goals EVERY SINGLE GAME that he's somehow NHL ready? And that it's good idea to keep playing him like this?

Where will you be when he inevitably has a bad game or two coming up soon?
Daws clearly has the ability to be an NHL goaltender, but being an NHL goaltender is about consistency period-to-period and game-to-game. He doesn't have that consistency right now.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Forsberg would be a sick add if we want Mercer at center long term, would be weary of his shooting % this year for the contract he wants. But he’d be the perfect linemate for Hughes and the last guy I’d be willing throw a UFA bag on.

I really have no interest in Forsberg because that deal is just going to be crazy and regrettable very quickly. If we're going to add anyone for the top 6 I'm still on the Garland train.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Alexander Holtz is 20 years old, is a PPG (has 1 G 1 A so far today btw), 0.5 GPG player in his first full North American pro season, and we're talking about him potentially busting after a great win. Jesus guys.

giphy (5).gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s confirmation bias, people are worried about Holtz cause he didn’t set the world on fire his first 5-10 games a la Bahl. If he’d been in the minors all year there’d be much more of a buzz

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
If Boqvist can keep up his momentum gained this season into next season, I feel comfortable giving him a solid spot next year where he's playing at now.

Guy quietly has forged out a season when we thought all was lost for him earlier in the year.

On the flipside, too bad Zacha couldn't bury those shots from December to now, like that. It's like we have to go back to the LA Kings roadtrip where he was "money" on the goals back in November.

What a weird season.

Zetterlund got 2 points today, this guy has a mix of fiestiness and shot that we haven't seen since Wood was healthy.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
As Mercer grows and matures that line is going to be straight up filthy. Important to remember he's still a rookie and just hopefully at the start of how good he'll become as he matures. Hoping Sharangovich takes another step next year to hit that 30 goal mark.

Yegor can hit 30 but I also wouldn't put that as an expectation because of him not being a PP1 guy but even with that said since 12/6 (the day Jack was put back as his center and he stopped playing with f***ing garbage) he is on a 30 goal 58 pt pace with mostly 5v5 scoring. He's 64th in 5v5 pts and 40th in 5v5 goals since then. If he takes another jump then that's f***ing great but I don't even think it's needed. If anything I just want to see his defensive game take a big leap

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Holtz will be in a good position to succeed next year. He likely gets a shot with Jack or Nico and Bratt and has a full offseason to work on his strength and skating. He won’t have to drive his line, just finish well.
Can't wait till he doesn't destroy the league and win the Calder and gets labelled a bust around these parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad