Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kulikov

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I’m hoping he just ends up being the #7 injury fill in or a guy that can step in for Smith when he needs a night off. He’s perfect in that role. Hope Fitz has one more move for a D upgrade under his sleeve.
The problem is if he's the 7th who is the 2nd and 3rd LD? Butcher will be one but there's still an empty slot. I think Kulikov is in the top 6 opening night.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Wasn't thrilled when it was announced but Kulikov had bounced back from that terrible season in Buffalo and now appears mildly competent. I've never been a fan of his but he can exist on the left side.

I think the idea organizationally is that if any of these guys miss significant time on the left side that Bahl will get a chance in the NHL. They can also shift Smith over to the left side.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
i think he has scored like 2 ot goals vs the devils iirc. the first one was his second year and I remember everyone was pretty hyped about him and his upside.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He seems like a perfect candidate for this years "decent third pairing defenseman who ends up getting overplayed that we all fight about".

Actually, scratch that. We still have Butcher for that.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
A one year deal for somebody that we can trade for a pick if we're out of it at the deadline are my favorite signings.
What would he fetch a 3rd or 4th round pick ? I'll tale an extra draft pick but I'd like to see him contribute and us start to turn a corner this season.

Reactions: My3Sons

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Here's an approximate LD depth chart around the league. Some guys play the right side (notably Sergachev, Hjalmarsson, Goligski, Cole). Not too many spots left, I'd guess that Chara/Greene re-sign eventually. I'd think LA would add somebody as well. Klefbom/Kempny are expected to miss a chunk of next season.

Anaheim: Lindholm-Fowler-Djoos-Curran-Larsson-Mahura-Guhle
Arizona: OEL-Chychrun-Hjalmarsson-Goligoski-Oesterle
Calgary: Giordano-Hanifin-Valimaki-Kylington-Mackey
Edmonton: Klefbom-Nurse-Russell-Jones-Broberg
Los Angeles: Maatta-_________-MacDermid-Bjornfot-Anderson-Clague
San Jose: Vlasic-Simek-Ferraro-Middleton-Pasichnuk
Vancouver: Edler-Hughes-Benn-Juolevi-Rathbone
Vegas: Theodore-McNabb-Martinez-Holden-Dahlstrom-Hague-Schuldt

Chicago: Keith-de Haan-Zadorov-Seeler-Mitchell
Colorado: Girard-Toews-Graves-Cole-Byram-Gilbert
Dallas: Lindell-Heiskanen-Oleksiak-Sekera-Hanley
Minnesota: Suter-Brodin-Soucy-Hunt-Belpedio
Nashville: Josi-Ekholm-Borowiecki-Tinordi-Davies
St. Louis: Krug-Scandella-Dunn-Gunnarsson-Miikola-Perunovich
Winnipeg: Morrissey-Forbort-Beaulieu-Sbisa-Niku-Stanley

Boston: _________-Grzelcyk-Moore-Lauzon-Zboril-Vaakanainen
Buffalo: Dahlin-McCabe-Irwin-Davidson-Samuelsson
Detroit: DeKeyser-Nemeth-Staal-Merrill-Cholowski-Hicketts
Florida: Yandle-Nutivaara-__________-Stillman-Rauhauser
Montreal: Chiarot-Edmundson-Romanov-Mete-Kulak
Ottawa: Chabot-Reilly-Brannstrom-Wolanin-Lajoie
Tampa Bay: Hedman-Sergachev-McDonagh-Coburn-Masin
Toronto: Rielly-Muzzin-Dermott-Lehtonen-Sandin

Carolina: Slavin-Skjei-Gardiner-Fleury-Bean-Forsling
Columbus: Werenski-Gavrikov-Harrington-Kukan-Carlsson
New Jersey: Murray-Kulikov-Butcher-Smith-White-Bahl
NY Islanders: Leddy-Pelech-________-Hickey-Aho-Wotherspoon
NY Rangers: Lindgren-Johnson-Smith-Hajek-Miller-Bitetto
Philadelphia: Provorov-Sanheim-Gustafsson-Gostisbehere-Hagg-Morin
Pittsburgh: Dumoulin-Pettersson-Matheson-Riikola-Joseph
Washington: Orlov-Dillon-Kempny-Siegenthaler-Fehevary

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I mean he's not very good, but he's a left handed D and it's only for one year. I expect him to be a healthy scratch or traded by the end of the year.

Clearly just a placeholder for Smith who will almost certainly be starting on the right side.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He was 4th in minutes this past season for the Jets. So at this point he is top 4.
Ya, but I was just reading an article before about how he was in way over his head on the 2nd pairing leading to a horrible year for him. I'll try to hunt it back down when I'm feeling less lazy.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They need vet bodies. You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment to think some big savior trade is coming.

The type of D trade we need isn't happening until we are able to sell our first.

Reactions: Sgt Brylin

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They need vet bodies. You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment to think some big savior trade is coming.

The type of D trade we need isn't happening until we are able to sell our first.

I fully expect our defense to be rather patchwork for the next year or two. Which I'm okay with as long as we don't end up forcing a kid like Smith over his head and risk hurting his development. Maybe we get lucky and somebody good becomes available, but if the market isn't there, it isn't there. We can't force teams to make legit top 4 defensemen available.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He was actually pretty solid in Winnipeg last year. He’s no Victor Hedman, but for that price, he’ll be a decent fit on the bottom pair for you guys. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Reactions: My3Sons

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I fully expect our defense to be rather patchwork for the next year or two. Which I'm okay with as long as we don't end up forcing a kid like Smith over his head and risk hurting his development. Maybe we get lucky and somebody good becomes available, but if the market isn't there, it isn't there. We can't force teams to make legit top 4 defensemen available.

At the very least not force them to sell them for pennies on the dollar.

Prospect wise our D depth has greatly improved, but we still lack high end talent there and it's hard to see where it comes from unless we get lucky.

Its going to take a trade down the line that is going to be expensive. 1st plus a very good prospect or a younger roster player with term.

As you said we really won't be in a position to make that kind of move for another year or two so going patchwork is the best we can do.

The key is to protect Smith. So if it means overplaying a scrub, then so be it. I would have zero issue if Smith was in Bingo this year. Learning how to play professional D is difficult and takes time.

Camille the Eel

I recall him being a useful point man on the power play. Serviceable anyway, with a good shot and some creativity as far as moving within the group, skating and finding open spaces with the man advantage. Also has a bit of a nasty edge to his game at times.

Maybe in Ruff’s system, if what he plays here resembles what he did in NY and Buffalo, where the D joins the rush on the fly and the 5 man unit is emphasized, he will fit in well.

Reactions: Playing With Fire

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Upgrade on Mueller. Nothing more than a bottom pairing /7th defenseman stop gap.

Probably gives the team better depth than bringing back Claesen or Mermis.

I still think Fitzgerald is not done and will add another defenseman.

Reactions: archiemandl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad