Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kulikov

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Not a home run or anything but a solid depth signing. Doesn’t block one of the kids from beating him out either with the low cap hit. Bahl probably takes his spot next year

Move approved!

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
Eh. Doesn’t he kind of suck?

it’s whatever, he’s better than Connor Carrick and Mueller (who’s not here anymore) I guess.

DDavatar.jpg :naughty:

Another bad move by the Devils. Fitz showing his inexperience by not knowing that anyone the Panthers didn't keep is worthless. Notice that the real contenders in our division like Carolina and the Rangers didn't pick him up.

Reactions: Oneiro and Bleedred

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I like this move, played extremely tough minutes for Winnipeg last year. Didn't fare the best but was certainly a serviceable defensemen in 18/19. Could rebound to that level at minimal cost. Plus, looks like a good match for Smith on the 3rd pair.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Smart move. Should be a solid veteran option (with size) on the bottom pair capable of filling in anywhere.

We needed that type of defender to pair with Smith (and hopefully eventually Butcher if Smith moves up the lineup).

Camille the Eel

Isles? for boychuk+? devils saves real money, get a player who can play with smith+ sweetener. Isles saves cap space and get replacement for toews.
Boychuck probably has very little tread left on his tires. He’s been out, injured or scratched an inordinate amount of time the past two seasons. If we could get the “Johnny Rocket” of circa 2012-2014 it would be one thing. But I think he’s very possibly done or pretty much so.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Breaking News: Fitzgerald spotted cruising local area hospital for NHL talent.

Seems like the caveat for every player we've added this off season is "If healthy" - I think we have signed the entire NHL infirmary this off season.

Heard he was in contact with Beau Bennett. He would really add to the offense here.... "if healthy"

Reactions: Bleedred

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't think many of you understand how good this signing is. Our current Defense is made up of people who's best quality is their offensive game. Having a stay at home defensemen that can play up and down the line up with Severson, Butcher, Subban, makes this a homerun in my opinion.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
For me, Ruff is a bigger factor than either Murray or Kulikov. We have the forwards to turn the puck around fast and we have the D to flip it to them. It's always been about getting stops and actually having the puck.

There's been so much debate about Severson and Butcher that this may be the year we can finally settle it. When they're on, they are two of the better transition D in the league (ditto for Subban).

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Boychuck probably has very little tread left on his tires. He’s been out, injured or scratched an inordinate amount of time the past two seasons. If we could get the “Johnny Rocket” of circa 2012-2014 it would be one thing. But I think he’s very possibly done or pretty much so.
It’s the second year on Boychuk’s deal that makes him nearly untradable. The sweetener would have to be excessively sweet. A team can’t give up 2021-22 cap space when the cap is going to remain flat, it’s too valuable and you don’t know what will shake loose.

I wouldn’t ask for Dobson, that’s a ridiculous ask but I would want their 2022 1st only top 3 protected and thats something they wouldn’t want to lose.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
For me, Ruff is a bigger factor than either Murray or Kulikov. We have the forwards to turn the puck around fast and we have the D to flip it to them. It's always been about getting stops and actually having the puck.

There's been so much debate about Severson and Butcher that this may be the year we can finally settle it. When they're on, they are two of the better transition D in the league (ditto for Subban).

What? You mean we're not going to have our forwards fly the zone and then have to stop and wait at the opposing blue line while our D gets double-teamed and have no closer outlet passes or pressure relief valves?

That's crazy talk.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Another terrific signing by Fitzgerald, and there can be really no disputing this if only because of the contract terms.

I've been watching Kulikov for years, and he's a very good defenseman, when healthy. The "when healthy" would be a huge concern were the Devils a Stanley Cup hopeful or if they had just signed him to a four-year, $16 million deal. But at 1 year, $1.5 million? The Devils have essentially picked up a big, mobile, smart, physical and capable left defender on not much more than a "prove it" deal. The Devils went into the 2020 off-season with Will Butcher as their top LD on the depth chart. With the addition of two superior defenders in Ryan Murray (acquired for a 5th round pick) and Dmitri Kulikov (acquired for what amounts to "petty cash"), the Devils are no longer a complete liability on LD.

It certainly bears noting that both Murray and Kulikov have had trouble staying healthy over their careers, and the Devils could certainly benefit by adding one more player to provide stability and depth for the left side of the blueline (I would strongly recommend a one-year deal to a familiar face in Andy Greene).

Best case scenario? The Devils have rid themselves of an abominably bad coach in John Hynes, while solidifying their biggest concerns in goal with Crawford, and on LD with Kulikov and Murray. Though the Devils are far from a pre-season favorite, if they are healthy and get expected production leaps from young studs like Hischier, Hughes and Bratt (also Smith), they can challenge for one of the lower playoff spots.

But it's actually the worst case scenario which makes the Kulikov (and Murray) acquisitions so shrewd. If the Devils are heading towards the lottery at the trade deadline, capable NHL defenders like Kulikov and Murray are annually in demand at that time. If healthy, these are certainly players who can garner the Devils a second or third round pick.

Like the Murray trade and the Crawford signing, the Kulikov signing makes the Devils stronger now and potentially stronger in the future. Kudos once more to Mr. Fitzgerald.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
note that we have okhotyuk, bahl, and walsh signed to their ELCs too, so they may get trials as well. one of em is bound to make it

Okhotyuk and Bahl would probably benefit from another year of minor pro development more than limited minutes at the NHL level. Walsh needs to shore up his defensive play before an NHL coach can rely on him. Hopefully there will be an AHL season to develop these three prospects.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Okhotyuk and Bahl would probably benefit from another year of minor pro development more than limited minutes at the NHL level. Walsh needs to shore up his defensive play before an NHL coach can rely on him. Hopefully there will be an AHL season to develop these three prospects.

Have you been able to watch Walsh much at Harvard? He's a guy I wonder about. Obviously he's been in the system for a little while, I was hoping that 3 years playing for a good program in the NCAA would polish him a bit.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Have you been able to watch Walsh much at Harvard? He's a guy I wonder about. Obviously he's been in the system for a little while, I was hoping that 3 years playing for a good program in the NCAA would polish him a bit.

Walsh's offense is very good. His defense is not abominable, but it's far from ideal. He's a lot like a faster version of Butcher -- he's terrific when he has the puck, but he's a bit of a liability without it. He's very beatable one-on-one, and he's not enough of an entity along the boards or in the crease. I'd say that right now, Ty Smith is a better option at RD in every single respect than Walsh -- there's really no aspect of the game which I would rank Walsh higher than Smith.

Walsh has the IQ and puck skills to make it in the NHL as a 35-45 point, second-pairing type, but only if his defense becomes at least passable. But I would say he has more upside than Butcher on account of the fact that he skates very well.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I`m repeating myself about Butcher
Butcher has no future in this organisation. I will surprised very much if i will wrong here. I don`t know how he looks at the picture, where devils take tall good skating LD Bahl in trade, after that devils trade for two way LD Murray , after that devils take tall PP LD Mukha in first round where devils had options like Bourque or Perreault, and after that Devils make a deal with stay at home LD Kulikov. If this is not the SIGN i don`t know what it is. (+ Devils add Edwards in later rounds. left handed puckmover)

Kulikov with absolutely safe deal. After all only thing i need is trade for Cernak. Reasonable for us, very reasonable for Tampa(cap and seattle draft problems).

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I`m repeating myself about Butcher

Kulikov with absolutely safe deal. After all only thing i need is trade for Cernak. Reasonable for us, very reasonable for Tampa(cap and seattle draft problems).

I agree with you in that Butcher becomes the 3LD with the acquisitions of Kulikov and Murray, which is as high as you want him on the depth chart. Though I like the way Butcher thinks the game and find him to be a very good puck distributor, the fact remains that Butcher is a defenseman who is, quite simply, overmatched against most NHL forwards while defending. It's just so difficult to overcome his disadvantages with skating and physical strength.

Like you, I'd love to bring in a guy like Erik Cernak to New Jersey. But though I agree with you that it makes sense -- I don't foresee the Lightning trading any of their very talented RFA trio (Cernak, Sergachev, Cirelli) until they have exhausted all possible options of trying to keep them in Tampa.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think many of you understand how good this signing is. Our current Defense is made up of people who's best quality is their offensive game. Having a stay at home defensemen that can play up and down the line up with Severson, Butcher, Subban, makes this a homerun in my opinion.

Yep, I agree here 100%.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2