Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kulikov

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
If he was that solid I'm sure they would have kept him for the rock bottom price we just paid.
Maybe it was impossible for the Jets to lowball him considering they were paying him 4.33m for 3 years. He’s only 29 so it’s not like he’s a declining vet.

It’s debatable to me that Christopher Tanev is actually particularly better then Dmitry Kulikov. Like Tanev, Kulikov would normally get overpaid with multi-year deal from a team desperate for defense in a typical off-season. He’s not some fringe tweener barely staying in the league because he’s bad at hockey.

This is excellent signing at that price. Ben Hutton and Slater Koekkoek were really the only other intriguing UFA defensemen left unless you count poor Sami.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Maybe it was impossible for the Jets to lowball him considering they were paying him 4.33m for 3 years. He’s only 29 so it’s not like he’s a declining vet.

It’s debatable to me that Christopher Tanev is actually particularly better then Dmitry Kulikov. Like Tanev, Kulikov would normally get overpaid with multi-year deal from a team desperate for defense in a typical off-season. He’s not some fringe tweener barely staying in the league because he’s bad at hockey.

This is excellent signing at that price. Ben Hutton and Slater Koekkoek were really the only other intriguing UFA defensemen left unless you count poor Sami.

Ya, I'm a fan of Koekkoek, but seeing Chicago dump him when he was making near league minimum makes me really nervous about him.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Not sure if we NEED one now, but it would be nice to have. We definitely need to give Smith a shot at a spot while having a viable backup plan. I'm not sure how great of a backup plan Carrick is.

Ideally to me, the best move we could do is to trade Butcher for a viable 2nd pairing LD and a cap dump, but maybe that's just a pipe dream.

I'd keep Butcher. I think he's a good bounce back candidate with Murray shouldering some of the more difficult minutes. And frankly I don't think there's a market for him after the season he had last year.

Depth chart like this (not pairings)

LD
Murray
Butcher
Kulikov

RD
Severson
Subban
Smith

If you add a solid LD, push Kulikov to 7th defenseman, if you add a solid RD, push Smith to the left side and, again, make Kulikov 7th d. Carrick is injury callup in the AHL.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Smith competition / 7th Dman was absolutely necessary after last season. Also given Murray is an injury risk we needed the insurance. I hope we don't miss Mermis.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I'm just not high on his defensive ability from what I'm reading.

If he's terrible defensively he's still better than Butcher defensively as I see it. Butcher is soft, slow, without reach, and at this point lacks defensive confidence to my eyes. I just can't stomach Butcher having to play any meaningful minutes again. On a very good team where he can play very protected third pair minutes and PP he's a good fit. NJ just needs to give Butcher's minutes to Smith if Smith is at all showing some NHL ability.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I'd actually entertain the idea of trading Butcher at this point. He looks like he's becoming expendable for what he brings.

There's no market for Butcher in flat / internal cap world. Buying him out and trading for a cap dump or signing someone like Koekkoek I'd entertain at this point.

Edit: too late to buy him out!

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If he's terrible defensively he's still better than Butcher defensively as I see it. Butcher is soft, slow, without reach, and at this point lacks defensive confidence to my eyes. I just can't stomach Butcher having to play any meaningful minutes again. On a very good team where he can play very protected third pair minutes and PP he's a good fit. NJ just needs to give Butcher's minutes to Smith if Smith is at all showing some NHL ability.
Hmm. I somewhat disagree. I think Butcher was stuck playing in a system he's not suited for. Chasing a forward up past the dots is not a good thing to do for a slow d man. Thus, I think he's better than what he showed last year.

I mean, slower D can be OK in the league. Green wasn't exactly greased lightning, yet he carved out a heck of a career.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Can probably get at least a 4th for him at the deadline if we’re out of it. Any team could fit that cap hit on their team, especially if we retain.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hmm. I somewhat disagree. I think Butcher was stuck playing in a system he's not suited for. Chasing a forward up past the dots is not a good thing to do for a slow d man. Thus, I think he's better than what he showed last year.

I mean, slower D can be OK in the league. Green wasn't exactly greased lightning, yet he carved out a heck of a career.

That would be great if Butcher can develop some defensive chops, but it's hard to see that happening with Subban or Severson, both of whom want the puck and probably pair best with a defense first type of player with enough range to cover for mistakes. I don't see Butcher fitting a developing team with the defensive balance NJ has. If you want to let Smith percolate in the AHL for a season (assuming the AHL plays) then I'd find a right handed defensive partner for Butcher with some mobility reach and confidence in his own end and see where things stand at the TDL next season.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ya, I'm a fan of Koekkoek, but seeing Chicago dump him when he was making near league minimum makes me really nervous about him.
I normally try to be nuanced about GMs, it’s a tough complex job, but Bowman’s probably the worst GM in the NHL right now. I’m not sure what his strengths would be, he just routinely sucks sucks so Chicago does dumb things often. They could have been reasons. Koekkoek with played Maata and he’s gone too, and they may feel Boqvist is ready.

I can also see Koekkoek being singled out as a sexy pick for a UFA pick-up by the internet and not by GMs, which is unfortunate for him.

I wonder if we can have PTOs at our early non-playoff loser camp. I guess that would be seen as unfair to our betters? Koekkoek might be a guy who needs a PTO at this point or maybe he’s just holding out for a better deal.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wonder if we can have PTOs at our early non-playoff loser camp. I guess that would be seen as unfair to our betters? Koekkoek might be a guy who needs a PTO at this point or maybe he’s just holding out for a better deal.
You can sign a PTO at any time, so I'm guessing we'd be allowed. It's not like we're getting an earlier or later deadline than the playoff teams.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Camille the Eel

If I never see Butcher play another minute for us I’d be happy. He’s at his ceiling and out of his depth with his limited skating ability. In his first half season the league hadn’t figured him out. Then they did. Just pressure the puck on his stick. And defending our power play, funnel the puck
to Butcher and force him to carry it and try to make the zone entry - end of our power play every possession. The guy is only marginally an NHL player and no team that has him at more than limited 3d pairing minutes will ever be competitive.

Okay my rant. Think maybe I don’t like him.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If I never see Butcher play another minute for us I’d be happy. He’s at his ceiling and out of his depth with his limited skating ability. In his first half season the league hadn’t figured him out. Then they did. Just pressure the puck on his stick. And defending our power play, funnel the puck
to Butcher and force him to carry it and try to make the zone entry - end of our power play every possession. The guy is only marginally an NHL player and no team that has him at more than limited 3d pairing minutes will ever be competitive.

Okay my rant. Think maybe I don’t like him.

I'm pretty much there with you. It's a shame as I think he is a very smart player. I guess you have to be when you skate that slow.

Reactions: My3Sons

The Rochester Rocket

Feb 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Would’ve preferred to see if the analytics were right about Hutton, but I’m sure he’s looking for more money and years and this is good contract for Kulikov. He had more hits than Greene and Vatanen combined last season.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Eh. Doesn’t he kind of suck?

it’s whatever, he’s better than Connor Carrick and Mueller (who’s not here anymore) I guess.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I’m hoping he just ends up being the #7 injury fill in or a guy that can step in for Smith when he needs a night off. He’s perfect in that role. Hope Fitz has one more move for a D upgrade under his sleeve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad