Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kulikov

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I hear you, but I am not sure putting Butcher with Smith is the best option either
That's EXACTLY my problem.

I like Butcher, but I just don't see how he fits in nicely. What you wrote is probably the best we can do with the pieces we have.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
yeah running a top 4 right now of

Murray-Severson
Kulikov-Subban

makes alot of sense but a Butcher-Smith pairing will get crushed.

if we can somehow snag a better RHD option, that would be great for Smith or for Butcher (if we dont use Butcher to aquire that)

Someone like Cernak would be useful here

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's a no risk signing. He's actually an NHL D man, which is more than we could say for half the defense entering the off season. I think the D is significantly more competent than it was last year, even if it's just bad now instead of complete dumpster fire.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
cup.jpg!
I kid I kid, but pretty good idea for stemming the tide until some of these kids drafted last year, plus Bahl, are eventually ready. We aren't getting Sergachev. Give up on that, people.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
I guess you could pair Smith with Subban on the 2nd pairing if Smith can play on the left?
That makes sense, but would really love Subban to have the opportunity to be the one who provides offense on a pairing, not someone who is covering someone else's mistakes.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Perfectly fine with this signing . Good defensively. Can PK .
We still need to get another D though . As in a Dunn / Cernak / Sergachev level Dman.
Get er done Fitz.
Oh ya , also trading for Kane Laine and Gaudreau so there is that as well .

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Perfectly fine with this signing . Good defensively. Can PK .
We still need to get another D though . As in a Dunn / Cernak / Sergachev level Dman.
Get er done Fitz.
Oh ya , also trading for Kane Laine and Gaudreau so there is that as well .
i think we're done, we traded for 2 LDs this offseason, so unless we package butcher and ship him off somewhere, we're not doing anything more

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Pretty neutral with this, at least we're signing players, every signed player is a potential asset for a future trade even if that's for a 7th round pick. I think Kulikov's best days are probably behind and I don't think he's ever been great, but has always been alright. The positive is he's basically played all his career in the NHL after being drafted, the negative is that the past 5 seasons he's been signed to three (now four) teams. Nobody really wants to hold on to him and/or sign him longer than three years. All that said, signing a guy who got 4m last season, to a 1m/1y contract is hard to hate.

Reactions: Guttersniped

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I like it; I don’t love it.

He fills a need as a defensively-sound LHD, but he and Murray are massive injury risks. If even one of them misses a stretch, our pants are at our ankles.

Reactions: JK3

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
JERZ!

Kulikov was actually very solid defensively even strength looking at the advanced stats. It looks like he mostly played with Neal Pionk, so he’s a LD who pairs well with a puck moving defenseman. Kulikov might have been holding out for more and today he finally gave up but he’s actually what we needed.
Like the sound of that; could be a stable partner with Smith, is an actual NHL-level player (low bar but necessary one with this team), low cap hit, short term, could be a decent trade piece at the deadline if the team's out of it, etc.

Regardless of what Kulikov contributes next season, it's still the type of move the Devils likely should be making at this point: low risk veterans who can provide some help to the younger guys while not carrying a big enough price tag to keep Fitz from moving on any deals that could provide more long term solutions, should they arise.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Don't think we're done. Need at least one more defenseman.
Not sure if we NEED one now, but it would be nice to have. We definitely need to give Smith a shot at a spot while having a viable backup plan. I'm not sure how great of a backup plan Carrick is.

Ideally to me, the best move we could do is to trade Butcher for a viable 2nd pairing LD and a cap dump, but maybe that's just a pipe dream.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
JERZ!

Kulikov was actually very solid defensively even strength looking at the advanced stats. It looks like he mostly played with Neal Pionk, so he’s a LD who pairs well with a puck moving defenseman. Kulikov might have been holding out for more and today he finally gave up but he’s actually what we needed.

You use "Jerz" again and I'm putting you on my imaginary ignore list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad