Confirmed with Link: Devils sign Kulikov

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
At least he's not a small soft finesse guy. For one year at such a cheap cap hit he won't block any prospects and may actually be able to give some stability to Subban to help him rebound. Maybe he helps push the Devils defense all the way from complete dumpster fire to just a stove top grease fire.

This does sort of suggest Fitz isn't seeing anything in the trade pipeline in the near future for a defender.
OOOOOORRRRR, wanted back up so he could freely trade Butcher with out worrying about filling the spot later.... I can hope.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Meh not transformative but he could help a bit. It's one year so whatever we'll see how he does.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I don't see him as 2nd pairing. I think I'd actually prefer Butcher over him there... unless we're thinking we throw Smith right into the fire on the 2nd pair.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Wouldn't be surprised if we add another low rent righty and force Ty to actually make the team.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If he was that solid I'm sure they would have kept him for the rock bottom price we just paid.

Considering the Jets are having cap issues at the moment, even this "rock bottom" price is a tough stretch and they still have RFAs to sign. They only have $27k currently in available cap space.

They also have two decent young LDs coming up on ELCs, so I'm sure it was easier for them to let Kulikov walk.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
do we have a choice so far

My own preference would be for Smith to play with a suitable partner if he breaks into the NHL for the upcoming season. If Butcher has to be limited to third pair and PP only he doesn't fill a good role on a team trying to develop a similar style of defender. I'd prefer to see Smith paired with a defensively stable veteran partner that can help tutor and guide him and cover up bit for the defensive miscues that are likely to happen with a young player who is a puck moving finesse defender. If there is an AHL season and Smith starts there I'd have no problem with Butcher in a third pairing role with a stable defensively savvy veteran partner that doesn't need to be clocked with a sundial when he tries to skate quickly.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't see him as 2nd pairing. I think I'd actually prefer Butcher over him there... unless we're thinking we throw Smith right into the fire on the 2nd pair.

So you think that Kulikov is the worst own zone defender since I last played? Really, Butcher on the second pair? Are you trying to kill me? Is that some sort of sick joke? There are children that watch Devils games and you'd roll Butcher out there with Subban on a second pair? What is wrong with you?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
So you think that Kulikov is the worst own zone defender since I last played? Really, Butcher on the second pair? Are you trying to kill me? Is that some sort of sick joke? There are children that watch Devils games and you'd roll Butcher out there with Subban on a second pair? What is wrong with you?

I'm just not high on his defensive ability from what I'm reading.

Reactions: hn777

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
We already have a low rent righty that we "like" in Carrick

I forget that dude exists...though if you're going to make Ty Smith earn it, I suppose Carrick is better suited as a 7th D. I don't much care either way provided we avoided keeping Smith as a 7th D. Either play him a ton at the AHL level, or give him the sheltered 3rd pairing NHL minutes. Those are the two ways I'm okay with.

Reactions: TheGooseIsLoose

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
JERZ!

Kulikov was actually very solid defensively even strength looking at the advanced stats. It looks like he mostly played with Neal Pionk, so he’s a LD who pairs well with a puck moving defenseman. Kulikov might have been holding out for more and today he finally gave up but he’s actually what we needed.

Reactions: My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad