GDT: Devils @ Sabres - 8pm, MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
A prime spot for the devils to fold and have a let down game after the streak got snapped.however, tbe devils didn’t let that happened and came away with a convincing two points

Was awesome to see how they came out. Probably their best first period of the season? Tells you all you need to know about this group and the coaching staff.

Reactions: PWiz30

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
A32A0210-F060-480B-B103-A95977F59473.jpeg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Was awesome to see how they came out. Probably their best first period of the season? Tells you all you need to know about this group and the coaching staff.

One of the worst third periods tells me that pace is not sustainable for 60 minutes. Minimally at least not when you have a game the next day.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I've been very impressed at how good the Devils have been at containing opposing star players. And it's not simple line matching either, like in the old days when Madden would be stapled to a guy's hip. We are playing top lines against top lines, and winning the puck possession battles to deny them chances.

Can't score on us if we always have the puck in your zone.
That’s what makes us so good. We have more than just one line and one D pair that can compete with the other teams big boys.
That and all 4 of our lines have the ability to generate chances . Usually a forth line is “ just don’t get scored on and give the big boys time to rest “ . Our 3rd and 4th lines are handfuls for teams as well as our other lines

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
One of the worst third periods tells me that pace is not sustainable for 60 minutes. Minimally at least not when you have a game the next day.

It’s definitely a taxing system. Schedule has picked up this week and you’re likely seeing those effects a bit. Will be interesting to see how they come out tomorrow night.

Camille the Eel

Please gimme another Columbus blowout.

I'll settle for any kind of a win though.
They already gave us our worst and most embarrassing loss of the season and at home. Historically they’ve swept or nearly swept us and had our number. They will be coming off a shut out win tonight. Hockey’s a funny game but let’s play our best game tomorrow.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I wouldn’t say that. It didn’t look like they ran out of gas at all. You could see they were laying back and not as agressive on the forecheck. Sabres were pressing hard , pinching ebery chance etc.
What makes you thnk we were tired and cannot keep the pace all theee periods?
Almost every game this year we are still flying in the 3rd. Just look at the last game against the Leafs. We dominated and skated circles around them in the 3rd.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
@Bleedred . Does Schmid’s style of play remind you how Hellebuyck plays?
Im not saying Schmid is as good as Helle , but that they look similar in how they play.
Both big dudes , hardly any extra movement at all, play deep in the crease , calm and steady and always square to the shooter and more of a “blocker“ than eedhig for saves etc. hard to explain but I just think they play a similar way

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@Bleedred . Does Schmid’s style of play remind you how Hellebuyck plays?
Im not saying Schmid is as good as Helle , but that they look similar in how they play.
Both big dudes , hardly any extra movement at all, play deep in the crease , calm and steady and always square to the shooter and more of a “blocker“ than eedhig for saves etc. hard to explain but I just think they play a similar way
Funny enough, there were a lot of Hellebuyck comparisons when Blackwood first debuted in the NHL. I remember some fans of other teams saying that.

I guess I can see a little bit of Hellebuyck in him?

For my money I think Hellebuyck is no worse than the third best goalie in the NHL. And I didn't appreciate Hellebuyck much until I started doing the goals against reviews. I thought he was overhyped and maybe a little overrated about 3-4 years ago, but now I think he may be somewhat underrated. I mean, he's obviously not underrated, everybody knows he's good, but I think he's almost as good as it gets.

I definitely see more of a Hellebuyck type which would probably make @BoBilly (forgot his name and it isn't coming up) pretty unhappy, as he prefers the ''Hybrid'' type of goalie that really doesn't exist anymore, outside of a bunch of guys like Cam Johnson that aren't any good and will never crack the NHL.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Also want to apologize to Tatar, so proud of him for turning into being a great player for us instead of a pre-season and practice all star. I never saw it coming but I absolutely love to be wrong when it means the team is winning.
Lindy and staff have got great buy-in from this team this year. They just play hard and willing to do the dirty work that it takes to win games. It's been an amazing transformation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad