Post-Game Talk: Devils Lose Again, Cory's Streak Continues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I would respect Andy Greene more if he would say that his on ice play makes him no longer worthy of being a captain.

But that's not gonna happen

On-ice play has very little to do with whether a guy's a captain or not, otherwise the captain would always be the best player by rote.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
No you get ragged on for saying it a HUNDRED TIMES A NIGHT and giving guys under 30 a break while only bashing the 30+'s on the team. Just like Bleed is getting it for overdoing the goalie comments or anyone else for their own favorite flogs. It just gets into spam territory that annoys everyone else.

The guys under 30 are actually useful to the team and aren't making horrible choice after horrible choice with the puck like Greene does on a nightly basis. Every shift he makes at least two horrible plays.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
geez that NHL game tracker.

since the beginning of 2018 with goalies over 15 games started

Schneider is:
last in wins
last in GAA
last in save %

just unprecedented at this point

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I’ve been critical of Hynes’ over reliance on vets but there was plenty of blame to go around in other spots in this game. Good coaching would help a lot. No question but a good coach is going to look at the lineup and see he is icing two second pairing dmen on the right side maybe one second pairing dman on the left side and four or five third pairing dman beyond that. And a backup goalie who is completely broken inside. The shocking thing is the league is so meh this year they can crawl back into relevance with a three or four game win streak.

This team won't do that. And if they do, they will only follow it up with a long losing streak.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
On-ice play has very little to do with whether a guy's a captain or not, otherwise the captain would always be the best player by rote.

To a degree, but i'd say that overall game play/skill does set the bar for captain as well, its not the only factor.....but you rarely see 4th line captains, or 7th defender unless they're like over 40 years old and still captain going on a former star legacy (Messier) or some other manifestation of that.

Except for Florida, who used to have the Atlanta Thrasher/Chicago Wolves AHL star MacKenzie as captain (whenever that was, recently)... That's the only example of a non-skill captain who is far down in the lines I can think of recently.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The guys under 30 are actually useful to the team and aren't making horrible choice after horrible choice with the puck like Greene does on a nightly basis. Every shift he makes at least two horrible plays.

If anyone over 30 pulled what Miles Wood has this season you'd be all over them like white on rice. But it's okay for him to be egotistical enough to think he's doing great with seven points in 28 games, not doing the little things and have his game completely go in the crapper because he's not making six million. If Pavel Zacha was over 30 you'd be eviscerating him for four points in 23 games.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would respect Andy Greene more if he would say that his on ice play makes him no longer worthy of being a captain.

But that's not gonna happen
You know what? I'll level with you on Greene and Schneider.

See, I'm probably WRONG to give Schneider the heat I give him. It's not lack of trying or effort, he's just finished. Old age, injuries, whatever. Even though he's really not that old.

And I think the same goes for Greene. Old age, too many minutes played, there's not many 36 year old defensemen playing the minutes he plays. I don't think he's necessarily not trying or playing poorly because of effort, I think he's playing poorly because of ability. Same with Cory and probably Stafford if he plays.

I do think Greene should have the captaincy removed after this year and his role should be reduced after this year. It should have been reduced this year and it might be, but it's also not coming fast enough. I think I'd like to not have him on the team next year at all, that would be my preference, but he's untradeable (unless it's the deadline next year) and I see no sense or need to buy him out in the final year of his deal. He'll probably be even worse next year, but I don't think he's quite Dan Girardi or Brooks Orpik bad, but he's getting there. I wouldn't wanna see him past 2020, that's for sure.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This team won't do that. And if they do, they will only follow it up with a long losing streak.

It feels that way right now. In games like this I try to watch the young players and hope they have success. The team is still building and the playoff spot last year doesn’t change that. Other than how it impacts the young players both Greene and Lovejoy will be in the rear view mirror soon enough. Hopefully they are replaced by better players in Smith and someone else.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Joonas Korpisalo
Mike Condon
Malcolm Subban
Scott Darling
Jeff Glass

These are Cory's contemporary's and they are all much better than him since the start of 2018.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
If anyone over 30 pulled what Miles Wood has this season you'd be all over them like white on rice. But it's okay for him to be egotistical enough to think he's doing great with seven points in 28 games, not doing the little things and have his game completely go in the crapper because he's not making six million.

When the puck is on his stick, he ends up turning into a bad clarkson (skating wise), and a Kalinin (puck handling wise). I can't say he's not trying, but he is gripping that stick tight and he's looking like he needs to sit a few games at minimum. We don't have that many better options depth wise, and we don't have any size, i think that is the only reason why Wood is still in there. Size and craziness.

Totally potato masher style stickhandling.... when the puck comes to him now, out of control.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
If anyone over 30 pulled what Miles Wood has this season you'd be all over them like white on rice. But it's okay for him to be egotistical enough to think he's doing great with seven points in 28 games, not doing the little things and have his game completely go in the crapper because he's not making six million.

Lol yet you're okay with Greene being egotistical and thinking he still has the ability to play, with his pathetic 6 points in 28 games while seeing 20+ minutes of ice time a night?

I dont get you or anyone else whining about Wood. He's absolutely playing like dog shit, but he has also been completely unoticable, which is a lot better than constantly being noticabley bad, which is what Greene and Lovejoy are.

And yea, I tend not to like old players that are causing the problems for the team in young mans game that clearly can't hack it anymore without being more of a negative than positive.

Wood is young, can still be a decent player for this team, probably needs to sit a few games to get his head on straight, but he is still less of an issue than Greene or Lovejoy.

We scored 5 goals tonight, gave up 5. One of them was thanks to the moron wearing the C playing like the typical idiot he has played like the past two and a half seasons. Another was thanks to another should be bought out and retired player in Lovejoy.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
this is the 2nd game where i feel like our performance gets laughed at.

the vatanen own goal was pretty bad, but THREE IN ONE GAME?

THE GREENE REACTION WAS EVEN LOL WORTHY. (if it wasn't so sad)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
When the puck is on his stick, he ends up turning into a bad clarkson (skating wise), and a Kalinin (puck handling wise). I can't say he's not trying, but he is gripping that stick tight and he's looking like he needs to sit a few games at minimum.

Totally potato masher style stickhandling.... when the puck comes to him now.

I might give him a break just not playing well with the occasional stupid mistake if he didn't also say he wouldn't change a thing about his game or if he was still doing the little gruntwork things that got him to the NHL.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Honestly, as much as we need him to produce more, whatever, I can deal with it if it takes time to find that part of his game. But when he’s out there ****ing floating, shying away from contact and being careless, well **** that. Make yourself useful or go upstairs and eat popcorn. Absent is the only way to describe him the majority of the time.
The thing that pisses me off the worse is that Zacha has been given every opportunity to succeed - he has been the teams 2nd line center all season aside from that small stint in AHL, he's gotten some 2nd unit PP time, he's gotten some PK time and even some OT time and the drive is still not there.

Yet the likes of Brett Seney busts his ass on every shift he has and gets a goal today but he is only rewarded with 7 minutes of ice time.

I'm sick of the Zacha excuses, that we need to play him between MoJo and Bratt because of his 'defense'. It is a bunch of bullcrap. The kid just doesn't want to be an NHLer. Well not with this team. Only solution is to trade him.

Reactions: Bosskarelli

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Lol yet you're okay with Greene being egotistical and thinking he still has the ability to play, with his pathetic 6 points in 28 games while seeing 20+ minutes of ice time a night?

I dont get you or anyone else whining about Wood. He's absolutely playing like dog ****, but he has also been completely unoticable, which is a lot better than constantly being noticabley bad, which is what Greene and Lovejoy are.

And yea, I tend not to like old players that are causing the problems for the team in young mans game that clearly can't hack it anymore without being more of a negative than positive.

Wood is young, can still be a decent player for this team, probably needs to sit a few games to get his head on straight, but he is still less of an issue than Greene or Lovejoy.

We scored 5 goals tonight, gave up 5. One of them was thanks to the moron wearing the C playing like the typical idiot he has played like the past two and a half seasons.
sidebar, i don't think points should be a massive metric for evaluating defensemen. yeah, it's important, but it's not the only thing

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
this is the 2nd game where i feel like our performance gets laughed at.

the vatanen own goal was pretty bad, but THREE IN ONE GAME?

THE GREENE REACTION WAS EVEN LOL WORTHY. (if it wasn't so sad)

I was so mad, I couldn't even watch the reply a 2nd time, It's a miracle we got a point out of this game....

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
every goalie in the league (+13 starts) is a at least half a goal saved per game better than cory since the start of 2018.

this isn't a matter of a bad few games or like the team not showing up. the dude is the worst goalie in the league and by good measure. the "eye test" also confirms it.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's almost like they think that getting to the shootout gets you a point or something. Their entire mantra has been speed, speed, speed for the last two years, so why purposely slow yourself down in OT when you have even more ice to work with? I understand that pushing play is riskier, but you've already got one point, why not go for the second one?

Although I would be interested to see how many other coaches go conservative in OT too. I feel like teams are more conservative in OT these days.
I smell a rat here and I think there's a new 3 on 3 coach. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but the PP coach is usually the one who handles the 3 on 3. I can't confirm that it's this way with our team, but it's a common theme in the league.

It sure looks like it's being coached different from the last several years. Hmmm, new power play coach, new 3 on 3 game plan, hmmm, do we have anybody on our staff with the last name of a former Canadian wrestler?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I dont get you or anyone else whining about Wood. He's absolutely playing like dog ****, but he has also been completely unoticable, which is a lot better than constantly being noticabley bad, which is what Greene and Lovejoy are.

It's a lot easier for a fourth-line forward to be 'unnoticeable' than a first-pairing defenseman (and I don't think being unnoticeable is a great trait for a forward either). Especially when the first-pairing defenseman is probably a second or third-pairing guy at most right now but he's only there cause the other options are all young guys who are second-pairing guys at most.

And obviously Greene made an idiot mistake, he knew it the second he did it by his visceral reaction. There's no reality check needed there.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
The thing that pisses me off the worse is that Zacha has been given every opportunity to succeed - he has been the teams 2nd line center all season aside from that small stint in AHL, he's gotten some 2nd unit PP time, he's gotten some PK time and even some OT time and the drive is still not there.

Yet the likes of Brett Seney busts his ass on every shift he has and gets a goal today but he is only rewarded with 7 minutes of ice time.

I'm sick of the Zacha excuses, that we need to play him between MoJo and Bratt because of his 'defense'. It is a bunch of bullcrap. The kid just doesn't want to be an NHLer. Well not with this team. Only solution is to trade him.

I still think Zachas defense is being underrated on this board though. He's also strong in the corners (Zajac style) when he is playing "well".

Seney is small. fast, and to the eyes, looks fast. Zacha is a bigger dude so he may not look like he has the wheels but I don't know if i agree that Zacha isn't busting his ass.

I often see him working the corners very hard, taking the body heavily in the corners. Probably almost as hard as our best cycle/boards guy (Zajac).

He definitely isn't producing, but I wouldn't rattle on his defense (IMO).

Reactions: R8NJ

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I don't think Hynes really wants to play boyle at center so that's probably the guy who would replace him
Why can't Boyle play center?
Is it a speed thing?
He's been a center for 10+ NHL seasons and all of a sudden he can't play there.

I've got no idea on what is Hynes thinking about this. Drives me nuts.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You know what? I'll level with you on Greene and Schneider.

See, I'm probably WRONG to give Schneider the heat I give him. It's not lack of trying or effort, he's just finished. Old age, injuries, whatever. Even though he's really not that old.

And I think the same goes for Greene. Old age, too many minutes played, there's not many 36 year old defensemen playing the minutes he plays. I don't think he's necessarily not trying or playing poorly because of effort, I think he's playing poorly because of ability. Same with Cory and probably Stafford if he plays.

I do think Greene should have the captaincy removed after this year and his role should be reduced after this year. It should have been reduced this year and it might be, but it's also not coming fast enough. I think I'd like to not have him on the team next year at all, that would be my preference, but he's untradeable (unless it's the deadline next year) and I see no sense or need to buy him out in the final year of his deal. He'll probably be even worse next year, but I don't think he's quite Dan Girardi or Brooks Orpik bad, but he's getting there. I wouldn't wanna see him past 2020, that's for sure.
This Cory "Old age* meme just doesn't fly in my mind...the guy didn't become a starter until 2015-16.

Before he become a starter in 2015-16 he had 129 starts...So he was a starter for only 2 years then began his decline at 29 years old? That shit don't add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad