Confirmed with Link: Devils have re-signed Marek Zidlicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Love having Zids back. He's the only defender who can take the puck behind the net and make some really exciting plays.

If it's $3 mil, then wow we need to start bringing in more Czechs and less Swedes

because the czech republic is better than sweden at hockey :sarcasm:

Maybe Lou surprises us all this summer and uses a buyout on both Sal and Volch.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Certainly don't mind Zids coming back. While flawed, 40 point d-men aren't easy to find and Merrill/Gelinas might need another year before being handed the keys to be PPQB.

I'd like Fayne back, but I wouldn't particularly be upset if he hit the open market. Might also depend on what kind of deal he's looking for. Hypothetically, if Volch is bought out and Fayne signs elsewhere:

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
-Harrold

I would be content with that. And then in 2015-16, maybe something like:

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
(free agent/Urbom/Helgeson)-Severson

Then the following year, Steve Santini might be in the mix as well.

I wouldn't factor Larsson into any pairings until he signs.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
woof at that gelinas and zidlicky pairing. I would switch zidlicky and Larsson. Larsson and Gelinas looked good together when paired with each other

I rather let Gelinas and Zidlicky get a bunch of PP time and the easiest 5on5 match up.

Gelinas is so bad in his own zone he would bring down Larsson for sure.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If Gelinas plays with Larsson then Larsson probably won't get near to 20 minutes of ice time which is why I think a Merrill-Larsson pairing or Greene-Larsson pairing should happen.

I don't really see how anyone can dispute bringing Zid back. highest scoring D, basically a point every other game it's not easy to replace.

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I thought grandpa Lou just takes long naps until draft day? :sarcasm:

Have zero issues with this move, I think it's fairly obvious Volch will be bought out this summer. I like Fayne but if he does leave I don't think it's a back breaking loss.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
because the czech republic is better than sweden at hockey :sarcasm:

Maybe Lou surprises us all this summer and uses a buyout on both Sal and Volch.

lol well I'm just saying let's compare the tenures of Elias, Jagr, and Zidlicky to Salvador, Tallinder, Tedenby, Bergfors... Czechs seem to do better in our organization ;)

Last edited:

MountainGoat

it's always nice to have a player that takes a discount to be here

Sascha Goc

Mar 9, 2014
I'll be very surprised if our overall defensive numbers don't take a tumble, if Fayne leaves. I think hes more important to this team than people realize.

The team is worse without Fayne, however he may end up being a casualty of having too many defenseman on the team (which would be sad) , but I think long term he can be replaceable by the young guys coming thru the system.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
lol well I'm just saying let's compare the tenures of Elias, Jagr, and Zidlicky to Salvador, Tallinder, Tedenby, Bergfors... Czechs seem to do better in our organization ;)

Salvador is Canadian lol.. You mean Oduya? But he had some good years with this organization.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think Fayne's getting slightly overrated here based on 2012 and his time with Greene. Would he be nice to keep, sure. Is he a neccesary being? No, especially going forward with the D the way it is. He doesn't skate particularly well, doesn't move the puck and isn't very physical so he really has to be near flawless in his own end to be an asset.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
The team is worse without Fayne, however he may end up being a casualty of having too many defenseman on the team (which would be sad) , but I think long term he can be replaceable by the young guys coming thru the system.

I agree but he is a very solid top 4 d-man right now. Relying on players who have yet to prove a whole lot at the NHL level to replace him is risky. Hes only 27 and is just entering his prime. He really needs to be retained.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I agree but he is a very solid top 4 d-man right now. Relying on players who have yet to prove a whole lot at the NHL level to replace him is risky. Hes only 27 and is just entering his prime. He really needs to be retained.

We couldn't (and can't) wait to get those players in the lineup for Volch/Sal/Harrold/even Zid at times over the last two years, but when getting them in the lineup is at Fayne's expense all of a sudden it's too much inexperience.

If there's no major changes I can see the defense looking like this:
Greene-Merrill
Zidlicky-Volch (or Sal)
Gelinas-Larsson
Harrold

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna

We cant afford letting players leave thru FA. So i agree.

NC107*

Don't get me wrong, I like what Zids brings to this team but at this stage of his career and where this team is it's just a waste of $4mil plus a waste of a roster space. This to me is just a lazy move by Lou. So far this year he's spent $10mil to bring back a 43 year old and a 38 year old off of a non playoff team. Why? It's just so time to move in a different direction.

The Devils are in a bind and Lou is trying to fix the problem he created. Signing Jagr and Zidlicky is a smart move both produce offense. Let's let Lou make the rest of the moves to be competitive. If he doesn't make the moves then then let him retire or get fired.

NHL Fanatik*

Fayne needs to stay. Young, works well with Greene, top-4 skill-set...

If we let him go that is a problem. Unless Lou has something under his sleeve, which never seems to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00