Confirmed with Link: Devils have re-signed Marek Zidlicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Personally I would explore trading Larsson and any picks necessary (maybe even add Matteau) in order to get Evander Kane if he's REALLY on the market. Then we have Gelinas and Merrill with Severson/Santini on the horizon and Greene/Fayne/Zidlicky and one of Volch/Sal as the vets.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't think the resigning of Zidlicky effects Fayne. On the plus side if Fayne is not signed that means a Greene- Larsson 1st line pairing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't think the resigning of Zidlicky effects Fayne. On the plus side if Fayne is not signed that means a Greene- Larsson 1st line pairing.

It does effect someone because we would have 9 dmen under contract if we just resign Fayne.

Easiest solution I guess is letting Fayne walk and Merrill to Albany. Then you basically are asking Larsson to replace Fayne. Not the worst idea, but I much much rather have them both.

Doing that requires a Sal/Volch buyout and again Merrill to Albany.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
They needed to keep him around so I'm happy with the deal. This team is so starved for offense and he's actually one of the few guys who helps provide it. Letting him walk would only make them worse and that's really the last thing that they need right now.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Greene, Larsson, Salvador, Zidlicky, Merrill, Gelinas, Volchenkov, Harrold,
Gelinas and Fayne

If we think about it, our 7 (or 8 defensemen) are likely to come from that group. All but Merrill has to go through waivers, so I would think that barring a trade, Larsson or Gelinas is a lock for the team.

I really have no idea how this is going to work out, and I'm afraid we are going to lose Fayne in the process. I hope we see Fayne resigned, buy out Volchenkov, and get rid of Salvador if we can. Then Gelinas can go back to his FW/D role and Harrold will be the 8th defensemen.

Greene-Fayne
Merrill-Zidlicky
Salvador-Larsson
Gelinas-Harrold

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
It does effect someone because we would have 9 dmen under contract if we just resign Fayne.

Easiest solution I guess is letting Fayne walk and Merrill to Albany. Then you basically are asking Larsson to replace Fayne. Not the worst idea, but I much much rather have them both.

Doing that requires a Sal/Volch buyout and again Merrill to Albany.

I think Volch is getting traded/buyout.

I think eventually this is going to be a defense. Sal and Volch will need to be gone because no way Pete sits them.

Greene - Fayne
Merrill - Larsson
Gelinas - Zidlicky

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Just get the 2 veteran pylons off this roster and I'll be fine with Zids back. Buyout Volchenkov and send Salvador anywhere for a 7th and we'll start to get on the right track.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Don't get me wrong, I like what Zids brings to this team but at this stage of his career and where this team is it's just a waste of $4mil plus a waste of a roster space. This to me is just a lazy move by Lou. So far this year he's spent $10mil to bring back a 43 year old and a 38 year old off of a non playoff team. Why? It's just so time to move in a different direction.

We don't have another Dman that can provide the offense we do, at least not certainly. I really think Gelinas is going to grow very well this year but if he doesn't we can't afford to have zero offensive threat on the blue line. If anything, let's assume Gelly grows as we hope he does, that would give us a trade chip in Zids. Even if he only fetches a 2ndor 3rd, then it's still something more than we have. I really have no issue with this with it being only a 1 year deal. As for Jagr, you can't tell me his production isn't worth his salary. Given our lack of offensive talent, it's not like he's stealing a roster spot from someone more capable than him. Besides, we all must remember Jagr isn't human and doesn't age :laugh:

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I think Volch is getting traded/buyout.

I think eventually this is going to be a defense. Sal and Volch will need to be gone because no way Pete sits them.

Greene - Fayne
Merrill - Larsson
Gelinas - Zidlicky

woof at that gelinas and zidlicky pairing. I would switch zidlicky and Larsson. Larsson and Gelinas looked good together when paired with each other

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Don't get me wrong, I like what Zids brings to this team but at this stage of his career and where this team is it's just a waste of $4mil plus a waste of a roster space. This to me is just a lazy move by Lou. So far this year he's spent $10mil to bring back a 43 year old and a 38 year old off of a non playoff team. Why? It's just so time to move in a different direction.

Or he brought back our leading point getter at the forward and defensive position.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Only on HF is signing 2 guys, who put up a combined 109 points last season, considered a lazy move. Get your head out of the sand.

MountainGoat

I'm happy he's back but I'm surprised he only wanted 1 year

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If Volchenkov is gone, we are probably looking at our most mobile and most offensively-proficient defense in years. I really don't want to see Fayne go.

Greene-Fayne
Merrill-Zidlicky
Salvador/Gelinas-Larsson
Harrold/Gelinas

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
It's pretty safe to say that Merrill is not being traded and will start with the Devils next season. He all but solidified a top 3-4 role from last season's play.

I would buyout/trade Salvador before Volchenkov, but that's just me. Volchenkov is slow, but bottom pairing/PK minutes won't kill us.

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
LeBrun is reporting 1 year, $3 million for Zids instead of $4 million. If that's the case then it's an even better deal for us. If it turns out to still be $4 million for a top 20 Dman in points, it's still not a bad deal.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zids for $3 million is fantastic. Salvador has a cap hit greater than that. :shakehead

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Certainly don't mind Zids coming back. While flawed, 40 point d-men aren't easy to find and Merrill/Gelinas might need another year before being handed the keys to be PPQB.

I'd like Fayne back, but I wouldn't particularly be upset if he hit the open market. Might also depend on what kind of deal he's looking for. Hypothetically, if Volch is bought out and Fayne signs elsewhere:

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
Salvador-Zidlicky
-Harrold

I would be content with that. And then in 2015-16, maybe something like:

Greene-Merrill
Gelinas-Larsson
(free agent/Urbom/Helgeson)-Severson

Then the following year, Steve Santini might be in the mix as well.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Good. Zidlicky was not the barrier to re-signing Fayne, Salvador and Volchenkov are. I really don't want to see Salvador wearing the 'C' next year.

Zidlicky's skill set is not easily replaceable.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Love having Zids back. He's the only defender who can take the puck behind the net and make some really exciting plays.

If it's $3 mil, then wow we need to start bringing in more Czechs and less Swedes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad