Confirmed with Link: Devils have re-signed Marek Zidlicky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Severson is at least 2 years away and Santini is at least 4.

I'm interested in the terms of the deal. If it's 1 year, I'm ok with it. 2 years and I have a problem.

EDIT: 1 yr $4M is a good contract!

I don't really believe this at all, especially Santini.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Honestly I sort of expected this given Zidlicky's season last year and their lack of trust in Gelinas.

Are we not allowed to have 2 offensive minded defenseman?

Zidlicky was arguably our best defenseman last year.

I think this means that at least one of Sal and Volch are going to be traded/buy-out.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Severson is at least 2 years away and Santini is at least 4.

I'm interested in the terms of the deal. If it's 1 year, I'm ok with it. 2 years and I have a problem.

How can you say definitively he is at least 2 years away? I remember people saying Boucher won't be here for another 2 years and he was on the team for 20 games last season. Or people saying Merrill won't be up in NJ for the 13-14 season.

I would be very surprised if it took Severson 2 full seasons in the AHL to come up to the NHL.

NC107*

Good move re: Zidlicky, Lou is working, there so much more to do

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
But I thought Lou was sitting on his hands doing nothing !

That's what this board would have you believe anyway.

that was based on Fayne's agent saying that Lou hasn't even contacted him yet.

which is inexcusable no matter what your rationale is.

and if they are just going to let Fayne walk they are dumber than I thought

DevilsFanInFla

Feb 28, 2014
Lou does seem to be rather uncharacteristically active this offseason. I definitely like it and it really gives me the feeling, correctly or not, that he is not going to settle for mediocrity this season. Does that mean he'll hit a home run? No but I'd rather him aim for the fences than sit around and do nothing. I fully expect a Schneider announcement July 1 and early on at that. Hopefully he is working with Fayne right now though. Too valuable to just let walk.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
that was based on Fayne's agent saying that Lou hasn't even contacted him yet.

which is inexcusable no matter what your rationale is.

and if they are just going to let Fayne walk they are dumber than I thought

I like Fayne too and want him to stay but I can see why he would be the easiest to jettison if he isn't brought back.

ownership despite how rich they are might not want to buyout Sal or Volch, we have a log jam that needs clearing one way or another.

Obviously everything we're discussing is hypothetical and we really have no clue whats going on but that could be one scenario.

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Lou does seem to be rather uncharacteristically active this offseason. I definitely like it and it really gives me the feeling, correctly or not, that he is not going to settle for mediocrity this season. Does that mean he'll hit a home run? No but I'd rather him aim for the fences than sit around and do nothing. I fully expect a Schneider announcement July 1 and early on at that. Hopefully he is working with Fayne right now though. Too valuable to just let walk.

Don't get me wrong, I like what Zids brings to this team but at this stage of his career and where this team is it's just a waste of $4mil plus a waste of a roster space. This to me is just a lazy move by Lou. So far this year he's spent $10mil to bring back a 43 year old and a 38 year old off of a non playoff team. Why? It's just so time to move in a different direction.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
so now we have SIGNED for next year:

Andy Greene
Marek Zidlicky
Anton Volchenkov
Peter Harrold
Bryce Salvador
Jon Merrill

Eric Gelinas and Adam Larsson are RFAs but lets assume (good assumption) they are re-signed. they have to be on the roster next year because they are no longer waiver exempt. so if they aren't on the roster, they are not on the team. simple as that.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
****ing stupid. Another aging D taking up a spot from one our youngsters. Please let there be some sort of trade imminent. Having Zid, Volch, Sal, and Harrold on the team at the same time makes ZERO sense.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011

Andy Greene
Marek Zidlicky
Anton Volchenkov
Peter Harrold
Bryce Salvador
Jon Merrill

Eric Gelinas and Adam Larsson are RFAs but lets assume (good assumption) they are re-signed. they have to be on the roster next year because they are no longer waiver exempt. so if they aren't on the roster, they are not on the team. simple as that.

Volch will most likely be a buy out which in all honesty I'd rather have Sal be traded, but oh well. Take away Volch and really there is no way Harrold will be on the roster. He is just useless. He's not horrible, but he too small to be that good defensively, and doesn't bring anything close to enough offensely to warrant a spot and all the time he gets when he does play.

If Fayne doesn't get re-signed:

Greene Merrill
Larsson Zid
Salvador Gelinas

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
****ing stupid. Another aging D taking up a spot from one our youngsters. Please let there be some sort of trade imminent. Having Zid, Volch, Sal, and Harrold on the team at the same time makes ZERO sense.

Agreed, unless you can somehow get rid of both Salvador and Volchenkov, this is ****ing idiotic.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Out of all the old d men we have, zidlicky is the one I least have issue with. I like bringing him back. He serves a huge need unlike the two grenade handling, cement skating turds.

One of Salvador or volchenkov absolutely needs to go. Volchenkov has more left in the tank, but both would be gone by 2015-2016 if we use the buyout on volchenkov.

NHL Fanatik*

If Harrold, Salvador, it Volchenkov are on the roster next season, then Lou did it wrong.

Also if Fayne is not re-signed, that's also a mistake.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Out of all the old d men we have, zidlicky is the one I least have issue with. I like bringing him back. He serves a huge need unlike the two grenade handling, cement skating turds.

One of Salvador or volchenkov absolutely needs to go. Volchenkov has more left in the tank, but both would be gone by 2015-2016 if we use the buyout on volchenkov.

I think we all prefer Zid to Volchenkov and Salvador, but we don't have the ability to just jettison them. You can't play more than 6 d in a game. Zid, Greene, Volch, Salvador, and potentially Fayne leave room for only one of Merrill, Larsson, and Gelinas to play. Plus Harrold is still there as the 7th defenseman.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

Andy Greene
Marek Zidlicky
Anton Volchenkov
Peter Harrold
Bryce Salvador
Jon Merrill

Obviously you're right... but we use information all the time to tell ourselves "Lou will finally make a move and fix things" and he ends up using some BS loophole or phantom injuries and keeping 8-9 D. It's getting old. I hope we aren't up for another year of that.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Without any outside signings:

Greene-Fayne
Gelinas-Larsson
Merrill-Zidlicky

Getting creative:

Greene-Boyle
Gelinas-Larsson
Merrill-Zidlicky

I could also see Lou bring in a guy like Andrej Meszaros if Volchenkov, Salvador, Harrold are gone.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Without any outside signings:

Greene-Fayne
Gelinas-Larsson
Merrill-Zidlicky

Getting creative:

Greene-Boyle
Gelinas-Larsson
Merrill-Zidlicky

I could also see Lou bring in a guy like Andrej Meszaros if Volchenkov, Salvador, Harrold are gone.

Playing all 3 is Gelinas, Larsson, and Merrill is asking to get pummeled. They need to play 2 of them, but 3 is too many. Either trade one or use the third as the 7th defenseman/rotation and injury-filler.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

With this team lacking offense the zidlicky re-signing should be the last one that should be complained about

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kind of surprised we have another resigining early. I do wonder about Fayne right now.

Still Zids was excellent last year and fills a need the team needs. We need goals and that is A LOT of points to let walk out the door if we didn't.

Terms are just fine.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Playing all 3 is Gelinas, Larsson, and Merrill is asking to get pummeled. They need to play 2 of them, but 3 is too many. Either trade one or use the third as the 7th defenseman/rotation and injury-filler.

using one of those promising young DMen as the 7th DMan is ridiculously stupid.

you either play them or you trade one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Boyle is finished. Zid is the safer bet right now.

I'm starting to get hopeful that maybe Salvador will sit on LTIR next year. His new contract/roster spot is the root cause of all these problems the last 2 years. We had 7 defensemen signed for 12-13 already, but then we re signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad