Post-Game Talk: Devils def. Canucks - 3-2

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Two mediocre teams. Guess the difference was Hall who actually does have some talent. Canucks got some pressure on at times but have too many weak players to sustain much. Team looks like it will be sputtering along maybe getting enough out of the Sedins to stay in games and win a few, but it has far too many holes to hang in with any team of significance.

Stecher - Weak in the early going but got stronger as the game went on. In the end, looked to be our chief offensive force. Refreshing to have a defenseman that can actually get in on the rush and move the puck around in the offensive zone.

Sedins - not always strong in the their zone (guess goes without saying) but they were tenacious on the puck in the ozone and gave the team its only chance to win.

Bad

Sutter - play is really tailing off. Not even playing in spurts anymore. Sedins are more or less on their own.

Granlund - for most of the game a ghost. Really have to make an effort to spot him in the play. Looks aimless. Whole third line is turning into a black hole.

Sbisa - not totally his fault but on for a lot shifts were the team was groping in its own end. Slow to the puck and forced into turnovers. Thought Severson and Sbisa were mirror images of each other and neither played well.

Gudbranson - becoming pretty obvious that Gudbranson lacks the skating and the skill to be anything more than bang it out, bang it in d-man. Him and Hutton have not formed a successful combo and that was the main basis for any optimism heading into the season.

Megna - zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Other points

Kudos to Gaunce for dropping the gloves. Not really going after a heavyweight but did show some spunk and some realization that he has to show more if he is going to stick around.

Markstrom made some terrific saves but did not provide the full proof, over-the-top type of effort this team needs every game. Any slippage in the goal-tending and we're sunk.

Hutton has to make a better effort (I would say frankly, some effort) to clear the crease. It's like no one ever taught him how he should do that.

Game was great response to Linden's belief that we are staying a contender to raise he spirits and be fair to the Sedins (he said sarcastically). Who knows maybe he meant contending for a better lottery position.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Devils should be far ahead of us but they were awful. A lot of baaaad teams in the NHL right now

This game it was evident that any time the devils wanted to turn it on they could...at least against the Canucks. They could own the Canucks down low at will.

it takes some time for separation in the standings to occur. The best team in the league will typically top out at 120 points. For your average 0.500 team assuming fairly steady point generation the difference after 26 games would be expected to be 10 points. The best teams in the league currently have 37 points...there is the 10 point gap. Teams making the playoffs with, say, 96 points would have about 30 points. Low and behold that's about where the playoff teams are right now. There won't be much more than 4 or so points separating the decent teams from the poor teams right now.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Having a look at the Devils prospect pool. Pretty pathetic for a team missing the playoffs for 5 years

I like to lurk on the other team's boards.

You're actually right with this statement. Lou Lamoriello and David Conte (head of scouting) absolutely lost their touch in the past several years. Starting with Mattias Tedenby and Jacob Josefson as first round picks in the 2008 and 2009 drafts. They found a few gems (Henrique and Severson being post round 1 picks) but have failed to deliver ANY quality prospects. We were excited about Gelinas, Merrill, Josefson, and Boucher but they all turned out to be TERRIBLE. Boucher was waived and picked up by Nashville, Gelinas was traded to Colorado then waived, Josefson and Merrill are healthy scratches.

Lou consistently traded picks and signed third line grinders for a team that was going nowhere. Re-signing Zubrus and Salvador, trading for Ruutu, signing Andrew Peters, Eric Boulton, Cam Janssen, Tom Kostopolous, Rob Niedermayer, Steve Bernier, Stephen Gionta, Peter Harrold, Matt D'Agostini, Bobby Butler, Damien Brunner, Krys Barch, and on and on and on and on. Lou was in love with guys that couldn't score if their lives depend on it. Then, with this team's yearly struggle to score, they kept the emphasis on drafting defensemen. Larsson was a no brainer but nothing else is panning out.

Sorry for the rant. Ray Shero has absolutely turned this franchise around... or is headed that way. The trades for Hall and Palmieri, finding Auvitu and Kalinin in Europe, drafting Zacha, McLeod, and Bastian. Our prospect pool is definitely in the bottom third but there are some bright spots and some reasons to be excited for us Devils fans.

Good game tonight. Hope Larsen is okay.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Agreed. I don't think our D is filled with amazing puck movers but they're better than this

It is a good core but it's stocked with too many one way defenders and not enough rovers. And it's going to be harder to do that when you have three guys on the back end making significant money on the cap who can't push the pace offensively (Tanev is closer to being so just because of his smarts), if we do sign gudbranson. But I am of the mind that teams should carry at least 3 rovers and spend big money on d that way.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I remember being so mad that New Jersey lost the McDavid lottery.

Imagine if McDavid was in the east instead of turning around Edmonton now. Plus I felt like NJ was the only team that really deserved McDavid.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I like to lurk on the other team's boards.

You're actually right with this statement. Lou Lamoriello and David Conte (head of scouting) absolutely lost their touch in the past several years. Starting with Mattias Tedenby and Jacob Josefson as first round picks in the 2008 and 2009 drafts. They found a few gems (Henrique and Severson being post round 1 picks) but have failed to deliver ANY quality prospects. We were excited about Gelinas, Merrill, Josefson, and Boucher but they all turned out to be TERRIBLE. Boucher was waived and picked up by Nashville, Gelinas was traded to Colorado then waived, Josefson and Merrill are healthy scratches.

Lou consistently traded picks and signed third line grinders for a team that was going nowhere. Re-signing Zubrus and Salvador, trading for Ruutu, signing Andrew Peters, Eric Boulton, Cam Janssen, Tom Kostopolous, Rob Niedermayer, Steve Bernier, Stephen Gionta, Peter Harrold, Matt D'Agostini, Bobby Butler, Damien Brunner, Krys Barch, and on and on and on and on. Lou was in love with guys that couldn't score if their lives depend on it. Then, with this team's yearly struggle to score, they kept the emphasis on drafting defensemen. Larsson was a no brainer but nothing else is panning out.

Sorry for the rant. Ray Shero has absolutely turned this franchise around... or is headed that way. The trades for Hall and Palmieri, finding Auvitu and Kalinin in Europe, drafting Zacha, McLeod, and Bastian. Our prospect pool is definitely in the bottom third but there are some bright spots and some reasons to be excited for us Devils fans.

Good game tonight. Hope Larsen is okay.

Don't put too much thought into a minority of fans bashing your team. But I'm sure you already knew that :laugh:. Yeah, I really think that Shero has done a good job.

I just hope your GM doesn't fall into the post-Boston loss Canucks syndrome where they just try to morph into this "tough" team even though it isn't possible. It's what fueled the Virtanen pick for us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Awful performance. The score in this one is completely misleading - we were outchanced terribly and the only reason it was close was the play of Markstrom. Chinese fire drill in our own zone all night.

Hit on Larsen was totally clean. Completely north-south. No charge, no elbow. That play should never be illegal. Hopefully Larsen is ok.

5-on-3 goal is proof that sometimes a blind squirrel finds a nut. Just an awful, non-threatening setup for the whole thing, and yet somehow Daniel gets a low-percentage, unscreened 40-foot shot past one of the best goalies in the league.

- Willie still going full Willie. No challenge for goalie interference on the 3-1 goal? Check. Eric Gudbranson out for the last 90 seconds of the game? Check. 4th line has the best Canuck shift of the night mid-way through the 3rd and doesn't play again? Check.

- Markstrom was outstanding. NJ probably had 20-25 high-quality point-blank chances tonight. Pathetic the amount of recognition he got from the Miller-fellating broadcast team in a game where NJ fans are coming to this board to compliment his performance. This game should have been a blowout.

- Gudbranson was a human turnstile tonight. Just awful. Did everything wrong. Play is just getting worse and worse as the season goes along. And he's fake tough. Tough isn't having a spaz and taking a stupid penalty when something happens you don't like. It's initiating and inserting yourself into games and dictating the physicality, and he just never does that.

- Sbisa has actually done well for the last month but this was back to classic Sbisa. So many stupid plays tonight. A chicken with his head cut off.

- Stecher was dominated physically down low tonight and struggled defensively but showed lots of heart and jump in the 3rd. Needs to adjust to game plans and find ways to get his shot through again.

- Hutton has improved greatly in the past few weeks and is now the guy covering up for his partner's garbage play.

- Tryamkin was probably our steadiest defender tonight and had a very solid game. Would like to see him ramp his physical play back up a bit, though. Seems more timid since the Richardson injury.

- Sedins were decent and pretty much our only offense. Complaints about them tonight are bizarre. Eriksson was better on this line later in the game.

- Horvat line had their quietest game in a while. Burrows didn't have his recent zip and Baertschi was a ghost.

- Sutter was awful. So was Granlund. Chaput outplayed both.

- 4th line was good when they actually played. Hopefully Gaunce hasn't been told to fight, but the way that developed was completely out-of-character.

Assume this means that Biega finally gets a chance. No idea who they call up - Robak is the best and most experienced guy in the AHL by a mile but isn't even on an NHL contract.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Have we talked about how Sbisa (and later devils) kicked Larsen's head when he was on the ice? It was quite disturbing watching the neck/head move. I mean... look what's around you! Jesus H Christ.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
I agree with MS, Stecher really did have a rough time in his own end due to his size. God bless his little heart for going out there and battling. But if there is anything holding him back from being the #1D this team so desperately needs it's his size.

Not that I'm complaining, but imagine if Stecher was 6'1" instead of 5'10", imagine how good he would be.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
More likely they call up Biega. You'll need like the whole top6 down before they call in Subban.

How closely do you follow your Canucks? Biega was sent to Uitca on 11/25 on a conditioning stint. Edler broke his hand and Biega was officially recalled on 11/29 but was gone before that and has been there ever since. They won't need to call him up, just call him down from the press box where he lives.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Have we talked about how Sbisa (and later devils) kicked Larsen's head when he was on the ice? It was quite disturbing watching the neck/head move. I mean... look what's around you! Jesus H Christ.

And it was Sbisa's il-advised back-pass which put Larsen in harm's way to begin with....inexplicably passes the back in his own zone instead of getting it out along with wall....and what was Larsen doing out there with Sbisa to begin with?....for some reason in this game the Canucks constantly could only get one d-man off the ice, while the other guy was stuck out there.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Kudos to Gaunce for dropping the gloves. Not really going after a heavyweight but did show some spunk and some realization that he has to show more if he is going to stick around.

Gaunce should not have dropped the gloves, IMO. It's not his game.

He has to show more, yes, but offensively, not as a fake pugilist.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Honestly I don't know if I want to roll with Subban and Stecher at the same time at this point. That's a lot of inexperience and a whole lot of short (not that i'm a size trumpeter but IDK if you can justify two RHD who are 5'10 or shorter playing significant NHL mins)

I've thought this as well, but now it's more about just trying to see what works. They also get a chance to see what Subban can do at this level. I would like for them to give it a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad