Post-Game Talk: Devils def. Canucks - 3-2

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
How closely do you follow your Canucks? Biega was sent to Uitca on 11/25 on a conditioning stint. Edler broke his hand and Biega was officially recalled on 11/29 but was gone before that and has been there ever since. They won't need to call him up, just call him down from the press box where he lives.

Lol, yeah haven't been paying attention to who has been in the press box. Feel like attachment to the team has been dwindling down compared to before.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
damn why did sbisa reverse that pass back to larsen. put him in a vulnerable postion for hall to lay him out. hope hes okay.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
- Very few scoring chances generated, got out-played thoroughly IMO. All our o-zone time was on the outside. It was more like a 5-1 game.

- Quiet game for the Horvat line, first in a while.

- Hutton and Gudbranson were a mess defensively.

- Stecher has some trouble when the other team gets physical. He can get pushed around quite easily, but that's expected from such a young/inexperienced/smaller guy. That said there's no doubt that he's been our best D-man in the last handful of games at least.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Two mediocre teams. Guess the difference was Hall who actually does have some talent. Canucks got some pressure on at times but have too many weak players to sustain much. Team looks like it will be sputtering along maybe getting enough out of the Sedins to stay in games and win a few, but it has far too many holes to hang in with any team of significance.

Stecher - Weak in the early going but got stronger as the game went on. In the end, looked to be our chief offensive force. Refreshing to have a defenseman that can actually get in on the rush and move the puck around in the offensive zone.

Sedins - not always strong in the their zone (guess goes without saying) but they were tenacious on the puck in the ozone and gave the team its only chance to win.

Bad

Sutter - play is really tailing off. Not even playing in spurts anymore. Sedins are more or less on their own.

Granlund - for most of the game a ghost. Really have to make an effort to spot him in the play. Looks aimless. Whole third line is turning into a black hole.

Sbisa - not totally his fault but on for a lot shifts were the team was groping in its own end. Slow to the puck and forced into turnovers. Thought Severson and Sbisa were mirror images of each other and neither played well.

Gudbranson - becoming pretty obvious that Gudbranson lacks the skating and the skill to be anything more than bang it out, bang it in d-man. Him and Hutton have not formed a successful combo and that was the main basis for any optimism heading into the season.

Megna - zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Other points

Kudos to Gaunce for dropping the gloves. Not really going after a heavyweight but did show some spunk and some realization that he has to show more if he is going to stick around.

Markstrom made some terrific saves but did not provide the full proof, over-the-top type of effort this team needs every game. Any slippage in the goal-tending and we're sunk.

Hutton has to make a better effort (I would say frankly, some effort) to clear the crease. It's like no one ever taught him how he should do that.

Game was great response to Linden's belief that we are staying a contender to raise he spirits and be fair to the Sedins (he said sarcastically). Who knows maybe he meant contending for a better lottery position.

And Eriksson the 6M invisible man...

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yup.

I only have issues with it because I have not recognized it to be a natural part of his game. In the OHL to the AHL... he's just not a fighter, at all.

I didn't like it, nor dislike it. What I did notice was two things:

One: the need to stand out and do more, as he is losing support to stay in the bigs.

And two: good on him for realizing we need more of this from our team - kudos.

Edit: maybe I liked it a bit..

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Rewatched the Hall hit. PPOC was head and repeat offender. He will get 2 games especially because they "owe" us for Kadri and also the NHL punishes based on severity of injury and not intent.

Really really really impressed with Markstrom. Watch it in slow mo, he kneels down and places his glove to shield Larsens head while using his body to protect him from players.

He calls the trainers asap.

He stands up and blocks out some idiot trying to take photos in row 1, then turns to the idiot and scolds him until he puts his phone away.

Say what you want about his play or his future here , but he's the kind of guy I want on my team.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The Hall hit was clean. Unfortunately, the cowards at the top will use every one of these to legislate hitting out of the game.

Hockey will get more boring, and so it goes.

Really hope Larsen is okay. His situational awareness isn't great (as my dad mentioned to me). And it was Sbisa making a blind pass to him on a play where both appeared to expect an icing called. The perfect storm of being caught with your head down.

---

The Sedins, don't let the numbers fool you. They're still NHL players, but they aren't a top line anymore. And they certainly aren't 1st unit, run your powerplay guys anymore.

Sutter being left with them is asinine. But I think that at this point in their careers they demand a lot out of their linemate. Hansen provides a great deal and we miss him a lot.

Still on Sedins, Daniel has been okay over the last while. But Henrik looks totally lost out there. Making blind passes to nobody, etc. Which is a problem because he is the straw that has stirred this teams drink for 10 years. I have to wonder if his back is bothering him again. There's just no reason that age would remove his ability to pass.

Not a great game for Baertschi. I can't fathom why we haven't put Eriksson with Horvat yet. Horvat is a creater, Eriksson is a brilliant scavenger. It seems ridiculous not to try it. There would be the added benefit (once Hansen is healthy and with the Sedins) of putting Baertschi with Sutter and Granlund. As Sutter needs play makers but thrives on puck retrieval. While Baertschi and Granlund have chemistry, but aren't great at getting the puck themselves.

---

It's getting hard to defend Gudbranson. I'm not ready to write him off by any means, and he's a great locker room presence. But he needs to assert himself a lot more, and stop being beaten so easily. I think he's putting a lot of pressure on himself to replace our top two D. We'll be a lot better when we get healthy.

Stecher is in a bit of a lull. Which is more than understandable. Teams are gameplanning for him now. He still has the heart and head of a champion.

Tryamkin had a quiet game. Not that that's a terrible thing.

Again, I hope Larsen is okay, but he's not assertive at all. He just wants to get rid of the puck. He's steadily playing his way off of the team.

Gaunce finally did something tonight. Nice to see him throw his body around out there. If he wants to stick, it needs to continue. May not be in his nature, but he doesn't provide enough other things to justify his presence without being physical.
---

Willie does some incomprehensible things. And sticks with them forever.

FFS put Horvat out there for more powerplay time. And give Stecher to him, Eriksson, and Baertschi. Let the 4 of them (along with Hutton) create.

In fact, I think they should split up the Sedins on the powerplay. It may sound like sacrilege, but we need them to be a part of a whole. Not try to be the whole unto themselves, anymore.

davieboynj

Dec 7, 2016
Sorry, came here for a Larson update, but as Jules immortally said "Allow me to retort"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mV-CpolGc

Watch again at 45 seconds. PPOC could have been head, but Hall chose to lead with his hip. I'd be really surprised if there was any discipline. Being a tall guy, I know that it's tough to not make contact with shorter people's noggins. Hall did his best there.

Then, Chaput starts a brawl 2 feet from his fallen comerade's unconscious body? Careless. Thoughtless. Drive Hall away from the scene if you have to, but you gotta have more hockey sense than that. I don't have a problem with him trying to make Hall eat a fist or two, but think about the guy laying on the ice first.

More likely for review would be Chaput's unpenalized play on Zajac. If you've played, you know dangerous it can be to have your balance thrown out when you are careering towards the boards; a little push does a lot. From what I saw this game, Chaput is just careless and dangerous. I realize I'm working with a fairly small sample size.

Regarding Markstrom, I'm a fan of how he protected Larsen, but I'd be a bigger fan if he told Larsen he was the soon-to-be recipient of a suicide pass. A little awareness and communication, and this whole affair could have been avoided...

At any rate, It was a fun game to watch. I went not expecting much and got what felt like a rivalry game. I came here hoping to find the current status of Larson, but I guess that will have to wait.

Rewatched the Hall hit. PPOC was head and repeat offender. He will get 2 games especially because they "owe" us for Kadri and also the NHL punishes based on severity of injury and not intent.

Really really really impressed with Markstrom. Watch it in slow mo, he kneels down and places his glove to shield Larsens head while using his body to protect him from players.

He calls the trainers asap.

He stands up and blocks out some idiot trying to take photos in row 1, then turns to the idiot and scolds him until he puts his phone away.

Say what you want about his play or his future here , but he's the kind of guy I want on my team.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Regarding Markstrom, I'm a fan of how he protected Larsen, but I'd be a bigger fan if he told Larsen he was the soon-to-be recipient of a suicide pass. A little awareness and communication, and this whole affair could have been avoided...

Agree on the Hall hit. Disagree on Zajac incident. He wasn't that close to the boards where that outcome could have been anticipated and it wasn't much of a push. Vulnerable or not it couldn't have been foreseen as dangerous. My take.

Markstrom was yelling at Larsen or he says he was.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
I'm just dropping by to say that I hope Larsen is okay. I looked him up and noticed today is his birthday.
Any updates on him? Hated to see him get kicked in the head while he was down. Players have got to try harder to avoid being careless like that. Was awful watching that.
Anyways, I hope he's going to be fine.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Sorry, came here for a Larson update, but as Jules immortally said "Allow me to retort"..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mV-CpolGc

Watch again at 45 seconds. PPOC could have been head, but Hall chose to lead with his hip. I'd be really surprised if there was any discipline. Being a tall guy, I know that it's tough to not make contact with shorter people's noggins. Hall did his best there.

Then, Chaput starts a brawl 2 feet from his fallen comerade's unconscious body? Careless. Thoughtless. Drive Hall away from the scene if you have to, but you gotta have more hockey sense than that. I don't have a problem with him trying to make Hall eat a fist or two, but think about the guy laying on the ice first.

More likely for review would be Chaput's unpenalized play on Zajac. If you've played, you know dangerous it can be to have your balance thrown out when you are careering towards the boards; a little push does a lot. From what I saw this game, Chaput is just careless and dangerous. I realize I'm working with a fairly small sample size.

At any rate, It was a fun game to watch. I went not expecting much and got what felt like a rivalry game. I came here hoping to find the current status of Larson, but I guess that will have to wait.

Honestly almost no one has a problem with the hit, even though the outcome sucks. HFBoards, local sports radio, it's seen by most as a hockey hit that is part of the game we all love watching. Injuries happen and it's unfortunate but I don't begrudge Hall at all. Anyone whining about it is just, well whining.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i think at worst the hit was borderline. i disliked the daniel hit a lot more because it looked like kadri went headhunting. i think this was just an opportunity that hall saw while patrolling the boards normally and had a split second to decide how to handle. i see no intent to injure.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
PVRed it. Worth watching?

i only really watched the third. nobody was doing anything much but the sedins. one of those periods where you despair about the future. hopefully next game is a different result.

as much as the dump and chase adjustment has kept us in games, we are pretty bad at it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Some visuals

Devils with a high concentration of shots from the slot and below the top of the circle 5-on-5.

On the last chart...if nearly your entire team is below the diagonal, and of course the opposition nearly above it, you didn't have a good night. Or put another way you want to skew towards the top right like the Devils are and not bottom left as the canucks are. Been that was for a while now I'd wager despite the impression they are keeping their heads above water.

shotLoc-2016020383-N.J-EV.png

shotLoc-2016020383-VAN-EV.png

gameShots-2016-12-06-2016020383-VANatN.J.png

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Some visuals

Devils with a high concentration of shots from the slot and below the top of the circle 5-on-5.

On the last chart...if nearly your entire team is below the diagonal, and of course the opposition nearly above it, you didn't have a good night. Or put another way you want to skew towards the top right like the Devils are and not bottom left as the canucks are. Been that was for a while now I'd wager despite the impression they are keeping their heads above water.

Yeah, those graphs illustrate perfectly what utter domination it was for NJ last night.

Without a huge game from Markstrom and some missed open nets from NJ, that could have been a 6-1 game. Easily.

From that graph, the high-quality shots from inside 15-20 feet 5-on-5 appears to be about 11-2. We generated absolutely nothing from the middle of the ice all night.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Any phone hearing happening for Chaput?

Who cares?....a guy who was promoted to the third line with zero goals for the season. It would be addition by subtraction...at least Willie would be forced to play Gaunce for more than five minutes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Any phone hearing happening for Chaput?

None reported, nor should there be (IMO). I don't think either his play nor Hall's hit are DPOS worthy. Both unfortunately resulted in injuries, but there was no malice of intent nor really a questionable play by either - Chaput seemed to simply catch Zajac off balance, as honestly, there's hundreds of little pushes like that each game, and Hall basically tucked his arms, let up and skated into Larsen body to body.

My two cents on both plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad