Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
You can't be serious. Guy was easily the best dman for the Oilers. It seems you completely missed almost every pass he made tape to tape, along with the few times he kept the puck in the offensive zone with a smart pinch. Guy is an absolute stud, should be getting more minutes.
You can't be serious on your analysis on Defense.
Calling Bouchard a stud today?

Reactions: RegDunlop and LaGu

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Your posts in the GDT were disgusting. Want me to line them all up. We all read them. Now you're just doubling down here.

Maybe take some moments and stop posting. Because you're making no sense whatsoever when you resort to pad comments like "Garbage" and selective at that.

You think Drai is a garbage player. OK, we kind of got that impression from 50 posts today saying that.

Actually, I called him out in one post. The other two were joke posts because he scored right after I called him, go look at the poster I quoted and read what he said.

Secondly, go look at my posting history before you try to spin up another bs story like you normally do and say I think Drai is a 50 point player. All of preseason I was defending him, said to give him the start till regular season etc etc. I’m a big fan of Drai and his game, even bought his jersey this offseason. I believe a lot in his play and his abilities.

Maybe you need to learn to take your Drai love goggles off and see when his game is off. He could be much, much better than he was today and if you disagree with that statement, you need a reality check.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
lars and klef were not good either. they didn't seem to pressure too well and let the opposition rag the puck around in the oil zone.
They need to push the play much more, but they were much better than Nurse/Benning imo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can't be serious. Guy was easily the best dman for the Oilers. It seems you completely missed almost every pass he made tape to tape, along with the few times he kept the puck in the offensive zone with a smart pinch. Guy is an absolute stud, should be getting more minutes.

The only notable plays by the D all game that I noticed were Nurse making some offensive forays and supporting the attack, one, a brilliant cycle with leon, and Benning looking completely horrible.

The Oilers D had a pretty quiet game. I think Bear might add more transition and offensive support than we had tonight.

Reactions: LaGu

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
... it's one game.

Nurse/Benning (our 1st pair by quite a margin)... ****, that was not a good game at all.
I liked Klef/Lars (thought Lars's passing was pretty good). But they need to get more involved in the offense.
Russell/Bouch .... Don't know, hardly noticed them.
1st line no where near good enough, 1-2 games more like this and Rattie goes.
2nd line good, Yama bad. Rieder/Pulju could be better in that RW position.
3rd line decent.
4th line .... no comment. They'll be ok though. Brodziak is a good 4C.

I'd leave 1st line.
Put pulju or rieder on 2nd
Play Klefa/Lars as a 1st pair (they may not be one but they're much better thsn Nurse/Benning)

2nd/3rd lines were awful, I don't know how low of a bar you need to set to consider that good. 2nd line couldn't even get out of their own zone for like 3 straight shifts at one point in the 2nd period.

Lucic was good only when McDavid was on the ice with him to carry the puck, that's not "well the 2nd line was pretty good" that's "Connor has to spoon feed every damn forward on this roster".

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What's disingenious, I said Line 2/3/4 had 2 scoring chances the entire game and I backed that up with the exact examples even you used. Yamamoto had 1 chance, Puljujarvi had 1 chance off a broken play.

That's *it* for the Oilers roster when McDavid was not on the ice.

And yes, someone should ****ing be mad about that, maybe the clueless coach for starters or the dummy GM.

You have counting issues and that’s ok. It’s also ok that you’re mad.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
This “blame Draisaitl” narrative is absolutely BS. No one is wrongly blaming Drai or running him out of town. Most posters calling him out are big fans of Drai and his game.

But when you’ve been bad all of preseason and then to start the reg season, you deserve criticism. He is getting paid to be a driver on this team, he’s supposed to carry the play and be a threat every time Connor isn’t on the ice.

Idgaf if he got a goal and an assist. His assist was garbage and his goal doesn’t excuse his play. He was soft on the coverage which lead to the first goal. He had multiple turnovers, he wasn’t moving his feet.

I don’t doubt that Drai will bounce back but he needs to do it soon and so far, he has not shown much. We need him to turn it around and start being one of the best players every game (from both teams) to have a chance at anything.

The narrative isn't BS. Other posters have noticed this as well.

If Draisaitl plays a bad game, or makes a bad play, people absolutely have the right to criticize him, I agree.

There are two things I object to. First, it's attacking the PERSON rather than the player or even the play. It's one thing to say "Draisaitl made a bad play there" or "Draisaitl is having a rough game" and yet it's another thing to make these completely asinine comments about him sniffing clovers or looking for girls in the crowd or calling him a douchebag.

Second is that if people are going to run him down for the turnovers, those same people should praise him when he does something good. The usual suspects were in full force today but disappeared from the GDT when he scored that goal. That strikes me as a hater, correct me if you feel differently.

Anyways, it would be nice for all of us if the Oilers won the next goal and Draisaitl got 10 points and was perfect in the D-zone so we'd all live in harmony.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The team needs a new coaching system rather than new assistant coaches. Even with new assistant coaches, Todd McLellan is still using the same system from last season.
I wonder how much Mclellan is willing to listen to his assistant coaches. So much talk during the off season about the coaching changes and how it would affect the team then they look exactly the same as last season. I wonder what the dynamic is behind the bench. Are there four guys working together trying to improve the team or is there one guy trying to hold on to what he’s got and make it clear to the rest that he’s in charge?

Mclellan got a pass last year because the blame somehow got passed onto his assistants even though he hired them and was the guy in charge. Even though it was him that allowed what wasn’t working to continue most of the season. It’s still hard to see the wisdom in that right now. Doesn’t help either that Bakersfield won 8-1 last night and Woodcrofts powerplay scored five goals.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actually, I called him out in one post. The other two were joke posts because he scored right after I called him, go look at the poster I quoted and read what he said.

Secondly, go look at my posting history before you try to spin up another bs story like you normally do and say I think Drai is a 50 point player. All of preseason I was defending him, said to give him the start till regular season etc etc. I’m a big fan of Drai and his game, even bought his jersey this offseason. I believe a lot in his play and his abilities.

Maybe you need to learn to take your Drai love goggles off and see when his game is off. He could be much, much better than he was today and if you disagree with that statement, you need a reality check.

Your posts in the GDT stand on their own. if you want to rationalize about the shit you said that's on you. You even slagged Drai after he scored. The only garbage in that is what you posted.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You have counting issues and that’s ok. It’s also ok that you’re mad.

Your own post lists only two chances with McDavid off the ice. You can go watch the game again and go watch what the 2nd/3rd/4th line did, but asking anyone to do that would just be cruel.

This team had 2 scoring chances the entire game without McDavid on the ice. That's simply a fact.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wish there was a way to get both Bear and Bouchard in a game. Benning should take a seat after todays game I think.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I keep breaking my "stay away from the main boards" rule, and I keep regretting it.

What a cesspool.

To the game, what a stinky effort. Only McDavid and Lucic looked like they had any jump. I thought Bouchard actually looked pretty good, but he needs to make decisions quicker. He made some good holds and then kinda just flipped it onto a Mickey Mouses stick.

Talbot stunk, but the D in front of him stunk worse.

McDavid won't put up with this for long.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
I feel like there are a bunch of non-oiler fans here posting demoralizing comments to fuel an already discontented fanbase.

Take a breath.

I do agree with most of the Benning comments though, those are oiler fans that have watch Benning drop the ball one too many times. They know what they are talking about.

Disagree with pretty much all the negative Draisaitl comments.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The narrative isn't BS. Other posters have noticed this as well.

If Draisaitl plays a bad game, or makes a bad play, people absolutely have the right to criticize him, I agree.

There are two things I object to. First, it's attacking the PERSON rather than the player or even the play. It's one thing to say "Draisaitl made a bad play there" or "Draisaitl is having a rough game" and yet it's another thing to make these completely asinine comments about him sniffing clovers or looking for girls in the crowd or calling him a *****ebag.

Second is that if people are going to run him down for the turnovers, those same people should praise him when he does something good. The usual suspects were in full force today but disappeared from the GDT when he scored that goal. That strikes me as a hater, correct me if you feel differently.

Anyways, it would be nice for all of us if the Oilers won the next goal and Draisaitl got 10 points and was perfect in the D-zone so we'd all live in harmony.

He played well for a portion of the 3rd period once the game was over. But really everyone looked good for about 10 minutes there. You can heap praise on him for his assist if you want, but really he did nothing on the play. He looked like he was trying for 1/6 of the game. That isn’t good enough for $8.5M.

I will give him full credit for looking good for 1/6 of the game though, it’s just too bad that he looked like a poor version of Lucic for the other 5/6 of the game.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I wish there was a way to get both Bear and Bouchard in a game. Benning should take a seat after todays game I think.
Call me crazy but I don't think doing that against Boston is a good idea.

Move Russell up, bench Benning and put Garrison in on the third pairing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel like there are a bunch of non-oiler fans here posting demoralizing comments to fuel an already discontented fanbase.

Take a breath.

I do agree with most of the Benning comments though, those are oiler fans that have watch Benning drop the ball one too many times. They know what they are talking about.

Disagree with pretty much all the negative Draisaitl comments.

Please post more.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bouchard was decent, but the Oilers should send him down. If he is going to be the best or 2nd best D on this team, lol, this team is going nowhere this season anyway.

We need to keep his ELC years just in case Seattle delays their expansion by a year. That would be a big problem then because you're probably forced to lose one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad