Post-Game Talk: Devils 5 Oilers 2 - welp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
To be fair the expectations should be higher for Leon and to a lesser extent Milan. These guys both produced today, but both goals were a result of pressure caused by Connor McDavid. Our second line needs to produce consistent pressure on the opposition on their own and that line failed to do it all night.

I'm not ready to jump on these guys just yet as we're one game in, but it's a concern when they can't create high quality chances on their own.

EVERY line including the loaded first line failed to produce pressure. We have two Allstar Centers playing on the first line, with an accomplished winger and they couldn't get traction.

This is no knock on Lucic but he's going to look slow against the Devils. Yama outside of one shot on a beauty feed from Drai looked invisible all game.

Meanwhile we have perfectly valid wingers for the 2nd line in Pulju, and Rieder who were wasted today in bottomsix.

Also, not noted, but Brodziak was horrible in this game. I like the player a lot and I'm saying this. he got schooled today and that can't happen. We had a fairly loaded 4th line and they got outplayed.

Reactions: PulYou and Oilhawks

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Like I said at the beginning of last season. With Sekera out and Benning slotted in the Top 4, this team has no chance. Fix that, and maybe, just maybe.

That's certainly a part of it but the problems lie way deeper than that starting with the head coach and the GM for giving the coach a dogs breakfast of a team to work with.

Well, if we want to dig really deep, we know who the real culprit is and it starts at the very top.

Reactions: harpoon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Again.

Line 2 + 3 + 4

Had

TWO

Chances

The Entire Game.

Sit and think about that. This team does nothing without McDavid.

Calling bullshit. Puljujarvi has a great chance at the end of the 2nd, both Lucic and Drai scored. Yamamoto had a good chance in the 3rd and Drai set another chance up as well.

What does this have to do with Drai’s LW? Isn’t that what you were complaining about.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The absolute one thing that can't happen to start this season is a goal on the first shot. It's a moral breaker

Why don't they just sit on the bench and cry about getting scored on then and refuse to go back on the ice?

What's the excuse for the 2nd + 3rd + 4th line having TWO scoring chances combined the entire game?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This “blame Draisaitl” narrative is absolutely BS. No one is wrongly blaming Drai or running him out of town. Most posters calling him out are big fans of Drai and his game.

But when you’ve been bad all of preseason and then to start the reg season, you deserve criticism. He is getting paid to be a driver on this team, he’s supposed to carry the play and be a threat every time Connor isn’t on the ice.

Idgaf if he got a goal and an assist. His assist was garbage and his goal doesn’t excuse his play. He was soft on the coverage which lead to the first goal. He had multiple turnovers, he wasn’t moving his feet.

I don’t doubt that Drai will bounce back but he needs to do it soon and do far, he has not shown much. We need him to turn it around and start being one of the best players every game (from both teams) to have a chance at anything.

Your posts in the GDT were disgusting. Want me to line them all up. We all read them. Now you're just doubling down here.

Maybe take some moments and stop posting. Because you're making no sense whatsoever when you resort to pad comments like "Garbage" and selective at that.

You think Drai is a garbage player. OK, we kind of got that impression from 50 posts today saying that.

Reactions: harpoon and Duke74

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Picked Rattie first overall in my yahoo draft. Going to drop him now. What a mistake. Like, he had 11 points in meaningless exhibition games. I thought forsure he was going to get 100 points at the rate he was scoring in preseason!!!

I have Rattie, Talbot, and RNH :(

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Not sure how anyone gets more minutes than Larsson unless it's with PP time..

lars and klef were not good either. they didn't seem to pressure too well and let the opposition rag the puck around in the oil zone.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Calling bull****. Puljujarvi has a great chance at the end of the 2nd, both Lucic and Drai scored. Yamamoto had a good chance in the 3rd and Drai set another chance up as well.

What does this have to do with Drai’s LW? Isn’t that what you were complaining about.

Puljujarvi had a chance off Kinkaid misplaying the puck.

Then Yamamoto had a chance off a Draisaitl feed shortly after the score was 4-2.

That's two. That's f***ing pathetic for a NHL roster. What other high danger chances am I missing?

Lucic and Draisaitl scored on McDavid's line, neither had a scoring chance off McDavid's line.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
This “blame Draisaitl” narrative is absolutely BS. No one is wrongly blaming Drai or running him out of town. Most posters calling him out are big fans of Drai and his game.

But when you’ve been bad all of preseason and then to start the reg season, you deserve criticism. He is getting paid to be a driver on this team, he’s supposed to carry the play and be a threat every time Connor isn’t on the ice.

Idgaf if he got a goal and an assist. His assist was garbage and his goal doesn’t excuse his play. He was soft on the coverage which lead to the first goal. He had multiple turnovers, he wasn’t moving his feet.

I don’t doubt that Drai will bounce back but he needs to do it soon and so far, he has not shown much. We need him to turn it around and start being one of the best players every game (from both teams) to have a chance at anything.
brilliantly put.

Reactions: RegDunlop

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The irony of course now being that wing is a position of concern that we haven't addressed while our defense is also a point of concern.

The big "if" imo is that had we made a gameplan to keep Hall and Ebs, we should have drafted for need and got Sergachev

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Rough game to watch.

Nurse and Benning were victimized all game. Talbot pulled a Talbot. Terrible coaching. Lack of team identity.

What is this team supposed to be?
I could not tell you what our team is supposed to play like. It seems like they just go out there, lose the puck and call it a night. I don't even want to think about our breakouts but it's too late because I'm going to have nightmares for a decade. Only Bouchard knows what to do back there and that's likely because he hasn't been coached down yet.

McLellan is just awful. Terrible player management in every sense of the word. This team always comes out flat and looks disorganized. No amount of changing players, changing coaches or having generational talent will change that. I hope this guy gets fired before the season is lost.

Just a pathetic showing outside of a handful of players (at best).

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
EVERY line including the loaded first line failed to produce pressure. We have two Allstar Centers playing on the first line, with an accomplished winger and they couldn't get traction.

This is no knock on Lucic but he's going to look slow against the Devils. Yama outside of one shot on a beauty feed from Drai looked invisible all game.

Meanwhile we have perfectly valid wingers for the 2nd line in Pulju, and Rieder who were wasted today in bottomsix.

Also, not noted, but Brodziak was horrible in this game. I like the player a lot and I'm saying this. he got schooled today and that can't happen. We had a fairly loaded 4th line and they got outplayed.
Our bottom six was brutal in this game. Every one of them failed to produce anything in terms of offense. My point was simply regarding Draisaitl. The expectations will always be higher for him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Puljujarvi had a chance off Kinkaid misplaying the puck.

Then Yamamoto had a chance off a Draisaitl feed shortly after the score was 4-2.

That's two. That's ****ing pathetic for a NHL roster. What other high danger chances am I missing?

Lucic and Draisaitl scored on McDavid's line, neither had a scoring chance off McDavid's line.

I get it. You’re angry. No need to be completely disingenuous though.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Oilers started playing when it was 10 min left in third. It was too late.

Pulju looked ok, very inconsistant.

Talbot is no Ranford

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
This game pretty much looked like last year, sadly.

Hopefully its just one game and the team was rusty due to the european trip but you have to be concerned.

Oilers really struggled to move the puck. Too many lost battles, too many rim around the boards to the devils players, etc. I honestly dont think TM can adapt his coaching style. Hes really predictable imo. I think too many teams have him figured out, honestly.

Talbot looked like Talbot of last year. While I dont think the first goal was his fault. He let in the first shot again. I hope he can bounce back mentally because it felt like "here we go again". I didnt like the second or third goals too much.

Maybe if the team could of capitalized on their PP's in the first period, the game would of turned out better. The PP looked terrible.

Team really stuggles to get more than one line going. Even the first line didnt look great today.

Dont really want to be too much of a negative nancy ... just a sucky way to start the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Our bottom six was brutal in this game. Every one of them failed to produce anything in terms of offense. My point was simply regarding Draisaitl. The expectations will always be higher for him.

This is exactly my take as well. The bottomsix was really bad and got outplayed all game. Your posts are reasonable, nobody singling you out on the posts and I'm not anyway.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I like the player but the only thing of note he managed today is stopping his own lazy play from going in his own net. What a cluster**** tht almost was.

You can't be serious. Guy was easily the best dman for the Oilers. It seems you completely missed almost every pass he made tape to tape, along with the few times he kept the puck in the offensive zone with a smart pinch. Guy is an absolute stud, should be getting more minutes.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I get it. You’re angry. No need to be completely disingenuous though.

What's disingenious, I said Line 2/3/4 had 2 scoring chances the entire game and I backed that up with the exact examples even you used. Yamamoto had 1 chance, Puljujarvi had 1 chance off a broken play.

That's *it* for the Oilers roster when McDavid was not on the ice.

And yes, someone should f***ing be mad about that, maybe the clueless coach for starters or the dummy GM.

Reactions: RegDunlop

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
... it's one game.

Nurse/Benning (our 1st pair by quite a margin)... Shit, that was not a good game at all.
I liked Klef/Lars (thought Lars's passing was pretty good). But they need to get more involved in the offense.
Russell/Bouch .... Don't know, hardly noticed them.
1st line no where near good enough, 1-2 games more like this and Rattie goes.
2nd line good, Yama bad. Rieder/Pulju could be better in that RW position.
3rd line decent.
4th line .... no comment. They'll be ok though. Brodziak is a good 4C.

I'd leave 1st line.
Put pulju or rieder on 2nd
Play Klefa/Lars as a 1st pair (they may not be one but they're much better thsn Nurse/Benning)

Reactions: PulYou

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Not surprised at all. Heading into this season I said I would be watching casually because I know it will be a long year. It’s really stress free. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad