Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
As a followup, discussions are likely going on between Fitzgerald and other GMs on legwork or ideas to get around the flat cap. The following season could be coming up fast and furious and decisions between now and then can affect the roster over the next 5 years. What we know now is that teams like Nashville, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Pittsburgh and St Louis are likely fuming look to make change while Florida is likely retooling. NJ should be targeting two players via UFA and looking to make a trade or two with teams up against the cap. At this juncture I don't believe Petrangelo is the right target. If I had to pick and choose two players the first would be Dadonov. He is a talented possession player who had some poor puck luck this year given his and his linemates shooting talent. He and Gusev have chemistry from their time together on SKA, it would also improve the likeness of attracting other Russians. The 2nd player I would sign is Brendon Dillon, he would be a nice steady presence on the back end replacing Andy Greene. He is used to defensive zone starts and is probably the type of defensmen NJ needs most.
I know he is an Islander. But Nick Leddy could make sense as a trade target, if the Islanders need to make room under the salary cap and he comes cheaply. Leddy wasn't one of the Ds, who's value got a push by Trotz and his contract runs only for two more season. His salary is also higher than his cap hit, which diminishes the interest of budget teams.
He could be a good stop gap at LD without having an impact on the cap mid term. NYI only have a little more than 8m to sign their RFAs Barzal Pullock and Leddy's likely replacement Toews. Getting out of the full 5.5m cap hit might be good enough for the Islanders to pull the trigger for a relative small return.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Review everyone's comments regarding Smith on LD side. Plus he's a righty so in theory you'd want him to play his handedness. Not a fan of your tone here Jim

But I get what you're saying, if Smith does go LD side. Then you have sevo subban and pietrangelo in some order, presumably.

But what do you do with Walsh? You think we signed him, promising him no nhl experience time? Why would we buy a depth issue in pietrangelo? Imo were better investing in a UFA LD (unless we make a trade). Until Smith and Bahl crack the NHL, our LD depth is fairly unknown. They're presumables waiting in the wings, but I don't want to assume Mueller and butcher can get the job done, even if Smith makes the team out of camp. We need vet presence
if you want to improve the nhl product, you shouldn't care about prospects, who haven't sniffed the nhl. if you are willing to be patient with your rebuild through draft and development, big FA acquisitions for 30 something player hardly are in the plans.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Leddy decline has been pretty steep in the last few years, he’s a third pair defenseman at this point. I looked it up after you mentioned it, woof, his contract is back loaded so he’s owed 13.5m over two years. Isles fans are convinced that Leddy will still bring a good return in a trade, I don’t if that’s true but if he can I’d rather it came from a different team.
28A1AF90-41C7-4874-BA02-C6210B6BD57A.png

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Mentioning the draft pick was probably a mistake, my point is there is a glaring flaw to forward core made up of Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Gusev and Dadonov. I don’t know how anyone can watch these playoff and think a forward core composed entirely of shifty mites (yes, Nico has to be >>175 lb at this point but he’s not Dubois) is a great idea.

I like Dadonov and if we’re signing him or Hoffman I’ll probably take Dadonov but we added two soft offense first forwards in Goose and Hughes last year. Dadonov isn’t as soft (that’s not saying much) but having no size and little physical game in our top six is a still a bad thing. It’s fun to be speedy and skilled but always being the hittee rather than hitter wears you down, you can’t create space or crash the net and we are going to be completely physically dominated quite a bit. We all tsk tsked at the Leafs and that is a less physical top six. I get that these are the players we have to work with and there aren’t easy answers in the UFA market (or elsewhere) but we are hopefully leaving “the everyone sucks just get someone good who scores” phase soon and can start to think in terms of team construction.

I personally don’t have specific player wish list other than PLEASE GOD AT LEAST ONE NEW PLAYER TO PLAY LD WHOSE NOT TERRIBAD and good veteran goalie. Evolving Hockey’s estimated contract for Dadonov is actually bigger than Hoffman’s, they have 6y/7m for Dadonov and 5y/6.6m for Hoffman. Maybe they aren’t getting that in the current financial environment but I also think the chance of Devils signing either of these guys is slim. They’re older than Palms and Goose and comparatively unknown quantities. We need a top 4 defenseman and a goalie more than we need another top 6 forward so I don’t see the team’s biggest UFA signing going in that direction. It depends on how the free agent market is, maybe if they sign shorter deals but the market may end up being more normal than people predict.
there is no need to hit, if you have the puck. but having no means to get the puck back, once the control is lost, is even worse. balance is the key and the supply for this player type is notoriously small in FA.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Leddy decline has been pretty steep in the last few years, he’s a third pair defenseman at this point. I looked it up after you mentioned it, woof, his contract is back loaded so he’s owed 13.5m over two years. Isles fans are convinced that Leddy will still bring a good return in a trade, I don’t if that’s true but if he can I’d rather it came from a different team. View attachment 363514
leddy's decline sharply correlates with the arrival of trotz. if he isn't available cheaply i wouldn't care at all. lou might still be more fond of one his draft picks from the past, than the devils staff today

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Leddy decline has been pretty steep in the last few years, he’s a third pair defenseman at this point. I looked it up after you mentioned it, woof, his contract is back loaded so he’s owed 13.5m over two years. Isles fans are convinced that Leddy will still bring a good return in a trade, I don’t if that’s true but if he can I’d rather it came from a different team. View attachment 363514

Some of that is likely due to the hiring of Trotz which does not fit his style of play at all. His strengths shouldn’t diminish over time (kinda like how Greene was a strong defender into his late 30s) but it’s still a bit worrisome.

I would like the acquisition as a veteran LD although we still would need to add a more defensive minded defender as well. Not sure ownership would be too keen on how backloaded his deal with is however.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if you want to improve the nhl product, you shouldn't care about prospects, who haven't sniffed the nhl. if you are willing to be patient with your rebuild through draft and development, big FA acquisitions for 30 something player hardly are in the plans.
They're not mutually exclusive

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Well hopefully a Hoffman or Dadonov can be on that line with Nico and Palmieri.

I was high on Hoffman because he’s a sniper but after thinking about it, I’d stay away from either or.

We need to get bigger in our top #6 or else we’ll look like the Habs, without a top #3 goalie to hide all the weaknesses of a porous defence.

I don’t see how we can be competitive if we’re icing Bratt, Hischier, Palmieri, Hughes, Gusev and Dadonov/Hoffman in our top #6.

Instead of offering a big contract to one of the Panthers UFA’s, I’d look at Nino Niederreiter, who does play a physical game and has 2 more years left on his deal. A guy like him would be an ideal winger for Nico and/or Hughes.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I was high on Hoffman because he’s a sniper but after thinking about it, I’d stay away from either or.

We need to get bigger in our top #6 or else we’ll look like the Habs, without a top #3 goalie to hide all the weaknesses of a porous defence.

I don’t see how we can be competitive if we’re icing Bratt, Hischier, Palmieri, Hughes, Gusev and Dadonov/Hoffman in our top #6.

Instead of offering a big contract to one of the Panthers UFA’s, I’d look at Nino Niederreiter, who does play a physical game and has 2 more years left on his deal. A guy like him would be an ideal winger for Nico and/or Hughes.
Niederreiter being 2 inches taller doesn't move the needle for me. Hoffman had more takeaways so even though he's smaller and doesn't hit as much as Nino does, Hoffman isn't a slouch. Hes the better player.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Hi guys,

I posted a trade on our board & would like to have your opinion considering we tend to favor our needs & kind of forget the ones of the trading partner.

:devils
Tomas Tatar
#39 or #40
Brett Kulak

• You guys need top 6 player - Tatar
  • Have a need for LD - Kulak (showed he can be a #4-5, cheap & somewhat young)
  • Have 3 1st rounder : Drop back 20 spots to fill 2 needs

:habs
20th
Miles Wood

• Get a 2nd 1st round pick
  • Wood’s speed with work very well with our team
Would you guys be interested in such deal?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Hi guys,

I posted a trade on our board & would like to have your opinion considering we tend to favor our needs & kind of forget the ones of the trading partner.

Tomas Tatar
#39 or #40
Brett Kulak

20th
Miles Wood

the problem is that the Devils do not own their 2nd this year. Nashville owns that pick as part of the Subban trade.

EDIT- I am an idiot

Last edited:
Reactions: Billdo

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You wouldn’t give one? That’s the other way around...you’d get our #39 or #40 but we would get your latest 1st round pick (#20)

I see that now...sorry my mind is not working today

I have to be honest, it isn't something that I would be all that interested in for 1 year of Tatar

Reactions: HabsTown

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Hi guys,

Tomas Tatar
#39 or #40
Brett Kulak

20th
Miles Wood

No thanks. Value wise it may be fine, or even in the Devils favor, but the Devils aren’t looking to compete for the cup next year and then Tatar is UFA so the biggest piece doesn’t help when the Devils will need it.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Tatar is 30 this December and in the last year of his contract. I can't imagine he'd want to sign in NJ. I don't really think it's good asset management to drop from 20 to 39-40 for one year of a guy when you're not ready to compete. Of course we could flip him at the deadline, but that's tricky - we got bit in the ass when Vatanen had injury issues before the deadline and those tanked his value.

I mean the value is fine and I like the player, but we need to be acquiring futures and young roster players who will be here long term.

I would rather make a smaller deal - would you do Wood for Kulak + 3rd? Most Devils fans are ready to move on from Wood and this gives us an excuse to not qualify Mueller. MTL has Washington's 3rd in 2020 from the Kovalchuk deal, I'd take either.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Niederreiter being 2 inches taller doesn't move the needle for me. Hoffman had more takeaways so even though he's smaller and doesn't hit as much as Nino does, Hoffman isn't a slouch. Hes the better player.

He’s the better player but you won’t win with "the better player" instead of the "better fit".

We need a mix of 3 things to make a line work IMO. We can’t have 3 finesse players on the same line. I always said that the perfect line includes a playmaker, a sniper and a "grinder". The best example is the top line in Boston.

We have our centers in Hischier and Hughes and Palmieri who’s the sniper. If we can add a Niederreiter or better yet, Anderson in Columbus, we can have a real solid mix, "similar" to what Boston has with Bergeron, Pasternak and Marchand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad