Devils 2020-21 team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
C'mon now. Is this serious? Smith will likely play on the left. Subban only has 2 years remaining. Carrick is irrelevant.

Essentially they are missing a top pairing LD and RD.

They do not have the assets to trade for a solid dman with size. The ONLY UFA that fits this year is Pietrangelo. They are better off going that direction on an overpay than overpaying another middle pairing guy that still leaves them outmatched vs top lines.

Remember, some of you see me as a resident pessimist (realist), yet here I am saying Devs have roughly a 50% shot.

Smith has played his entire career as RD...

Why would he come here?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
But I'm pretty sure that he played the left side when he's been up with the club (pre-season and the like). He was paired with Vats a few times, Severson some others. Not sure if he was left side exclusive though while up here.

Yeah, he looked like crap too.

I'm not saying he can't play LD, but we shouldn't be penciling it in as a given...

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Yeah, he looked like crap too.

I'm not saying he can't play LD, but we shouldn't be penciling it in as a given...

it's funny because that's what I'm saying about RD. I don't think he can be penciled in at either spot. I mean, I don't know where he ultimately plays in the NHL. Some guys just are better on their offhand. The only thing I'm sure of is that we could put him at LD or RD, so I've narrowed that down for us lol.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
C'mon now. Is this serious? Smith will likely play on the left. Subban only has 2 years remaining. Carrick is irrelevant.

They do not have the assets to trade for a solid dman with size. The ONLY UFA that fits this year is Pietrangelo. They are better off going that direction on an overpay than overpaying another middle pairing guy that still leaves them outmatched vs top lines.

Remember, some of you see me as a resident pessimist (realist), yet here I am saying Devs have roughly a 50% shot.
Their chances are closer to 0% than 50%

Reactions: Darkauron

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As a followup, discussions are likely going on between Fitzgerald and other GMs on legwork or ideas to get around the flat cap. The following season could be coming up fast and furious and decisions between now and then can affect the roster over the next 5 years. What we know now is that teams like Nashville, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, Pittsburgh and St Louis are likely fuming look to make change while Florida is likely retooling. NJ should be targeting two players via UFA and looking to make a trade or two with teams up against the cap. At this juncture I don't believe Petrangelo is the right target. If I had to pick and choose two players the first would be Dadonov. He is a talented possession player who had some poor puck luck this year given his and his linemates shooting talent. He and Gusev have chemistry from their time together on SKA, it would also improve the likeness of attracting other Russians. The 2nd player I would sign is Brendon Dillon, he would be a nice steady presence on the back end replacing Andy Greene. He is used to defensive zone starts and is probably the type of defensmen NJ needs most.

That makes a lot of sense but I think it depends upon whether Gusev would extend at something reasonable. Dadonov and Gusev for four years would be a nice tandem. I’m not so sure about seven years.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Just reminiscing with a glass of whiskey of some fun highlights while my wife's asleep.

This goal was so much fun to watch live. This was right around that peak of an absurd run in 2011 with Lemaire returning and Kovy catching fire. This win really made it seem like it was possible we'd climb back into the playoff hunt. Sadly, I don't think we made it much closer in the standings.

May not have resulted in a playoff berth, but that run was a lot of fun.

Reactions: nugg

My3Sons

Sponsor
Just reminiscing with a glass of whiskey of some fun highlights while my wife's asleep.

This goal was so much fun to watch live. This was right around that peak of an absurd run in 2011 with Lemaire returning and Kovy catching fire. This win really made it seem like it was possible we'd climb back into the playoff hunt. Sadly, I don't think we made it much closer in the standings.

May not have resulted in a playoff berth, but that run was a lot of fun.

What sort of whiskey?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Four Roses small batch bourbon. Was recommended to me by one of my coworkers. I'm trying to develop more of a taste for it, he told me to try it neat which is a real rarity for me. :laugh: But I'm enjoying it!

There are so many choices for bourbon and TN whiskey now that there should really be something to suit everyone’s taste. What I will offer is that if you only drink occasionally to find something smooth and easy to drink even if it isn’t trendy or cool. I find I can enjoy Gentleman Jack for example even though it is mass market.

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
There are so many choices for bourbon and TN whiskey now that there should really be something to suit everyone’s taste. What I will offer is that if you only drink occasionally to find something smooth and easy to drink even if it isn’t trendy or cool. I find I can enjoy Gentleman Jack for example even though it is mass market.

Right before quarantine started, I picked up a bottle of Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam Devil's Cut to have two different types to try and sip my way through those early months. Really enjoyed them both.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
Right before quarantine started, I picked up a bottle of Gentleman Jack and Jim Beam Devil's Cut to have two different types to try and sip my way through those early months. Really enjoyed them both.

I prefer them chilled with a rock or two and a water chaser. I’m partial to smooth scotch but enjoy a taste of anything that is smooth and easy to drink on occasion. Given that I married a divorce lawyer you’d think I’d drink much more.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
But I'm pretty sure that he played the left side when he's been up with the club (pre-season and the like). He was paired with Vats a few times, Severson some others. Not sure if he was left side exclusive though while up here.

From what I understand, Ty Smith prefers the right (off) side, but the Devils coaches have preferred him to play the left side.

Now that Ruff is head coach, I think it's fair to say that none of us know what side Smith will play. While John Hynes was a know-it-all in pretty much every sense, Ruff is known much more as a players coach and a guy who would rather his young players feel comfortable than "get in line", so to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
From what I understand, Ty Smith prefers the right (off) side, but the Devils coaches have preferred him to play the left side.

Now that Ruff is head coach, I think it's fair to say that none of us know what side Smith will play. While John Hynes was a know-it-all in pretty much every sense, Ruff is known much more as a layers coach and a guy who would rather his young players feel comfortable than "get in line", so to speak.

I’m not sure Hynes would recognize whether a player got in line even if someone else calculated y=mx+b for him.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
If Smith wants to play the right then he will

Its only when he struggles there for too long that you make him switch

If Hynes thought otherwise than f*** him for that too

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That makes a lot of sense but I think it depends upon whether Gusev would extend at something reasonable. Dadonov and Gusev for four years would be a nice tandem. I’m not so sure about seven years.
Both Jack and Goose had 12 hits this season while both Dadonov and Bratt had 29. There comes a point where our lack of physical forwards with some size becomes a problem and adding an undersized forward who lacks the strength to battle is not what we need even if he’s shifty and talented.

The fact that there’s a very good chance we will be drafting a smallish skilled forward at 7th is another reason why I think adding Dadonov while extending Gusev is not the best idea in terms of team building.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Both Jack and Goose had 12 hits this season while both Dadonov and Bratt had 29. There comes a point where our lack of physical forwards with some size becomes a problem and adding an undersized forward who lacks the strength to battle is not what we need even if he’s shifty and talented.

The fact that there’s a very good chance we will be drafting a smallish skilled forward at 7th is another reason why I think adding Dadonov while extending Gusev is not the best idea in terms of team building.

One of the reasons I like the idea of low balling an offer to Vancouver about virtanen. I would not give up anything real, as he clearly has issues there and they clearly get fed up with him at times, but I think he's an addition that could make sense, even though I don't love everything I hear about him

Reactions: Guttersniped

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Review everyone's comments regarding Smith on LD side. Plus he's a righty so in theory you'd want him to play his handedness. Not a fan of your tone here Jim

But I get what you're saying, if Smith does go LD side. Then you have sevo subban and pietrangelo in some order, presumably.

But what do you do with Walsh? You think we signed him, promising him no nhl experience time? Why would we buy a depth issue in pietrangelo? Imo were better investing in a UFA LD (unless we make a trade). Until Smith and Bahl crack the NHL, our LD depth is fairly unknown. They're presumables waiting in the wings, but I don't want to assume Mueller and butcher can get the job done, even if Smith makes the team out of camp. We need vet presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad