Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
In videos of Zacha highlights from juniors, it appeared to me that a lot of his offense was generated from the right side. If we were to give him an extended look at wing, I'd be for trying him on the off-wing and encourage a shoot first mentality.

Reactions: Tretyak 20

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
you're kidding yourself if you don't think thats the comp Butcher's camp is gonna use

especially considering Butcher has 2 years worth of production
Not to mention that Sanheim only has 1 year worth of production (when he played over 19.5 minutes) and has only been in the league for 2 years, just like Butcher has.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Same you can say from all other leagues but if you are best player in KHL so hopefully you will be great player in NHL. I would trade for Gusev if the price is right.
It depends, the style of play isn't exactly the same. I haven't seen Gusev play enough to guess whether his game will translate or not, but with Panarin for example it was obvious it would. Same can't be said for others who have came over and failed.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
How is Sanheim better than Butcher? There's nothing to suggest that he is. But I do realize that Butcher is becoming criminally underrated on this board.

30 points at even strength last year is big time, Butcher only with 16 last year and 20 two years ago. He's a good skating big D man with skill who had a really strong year. Hasnt been heavily featured in either special teams unit yet but he looks like someone that could potentially be solid on the second unit of both.

Reactions: RyGuy

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
How is Sanheim better than Butcher? There's nothing to suggest that he is. But I do realize that Butcher is becoming criminally underrated on this board.
14th overall pick so he must be better, bro! There are also those who take pleasure in self-pitying their own club and players while overrating everybody else on rival squads.

Reactions: Bleedred

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
My overall point wasn't to compare the 2 players. Sanheim may very well be better and end up better overall

However, you are kidding yourself if you don't think thats now what Butcher and his camp are going to use as a comparable contract

Reactions: Bet the Over

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
30 points at even strength last year is big time, Butcher only with 16 last year and 20 two years ago. He's a good skating big D man with skill who had a really strong year. Hasnt been heavily featured in either special teams unit yet but he looks like someone that could potentially be solid on the second unit of both.
I think it's fair to say he could very well wind up being quite a bit better than Butcher. Just don't think there's any way to say he is as of this very moment.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I think it's fair to say he could very well wind up being quite a bit better than Butcher. Just don't think there's any way to say he is as of this very moment.

I think he is at the moment but its not something I can passionately argue lol I think their bridge deals would be very similar

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
The thing with Gusev is that he does not know any English and it’s not like we have a Russian vet he could lean on. It’s a tough transition to make, but there’s no doubt he will be an absolute beast in this league. The points speak for themselves

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
14th overall pick so he must be better, bro! There are also those who take pleasure in self-pitying their own club and players while overrating everybody else on rival squads.
I think there is a certain sect around here that overrates rivals players. ''Brett Pesce is a stud'' or ''Georgiev might be a real steal'' and I remember when Oscar Lindberg, Jesper Fast and Anthony Duclair were all the craze around here.

It's been going on for years. I remember when Antero Niittymakki was someone we were supposed to be afraid of for the Flyers.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I would think Clarkson would have the Devils on his no trade list because of taxes so I would be surprised if we are a match with Vegas for anything unfortunately.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I think there is a certain sect around here that overrates rivals players. ''Brett Pesce is a stud'' or ''Georgiev might be a real steal'' and I remember when Oscar Lindberg, Jesper Fast and Anthony Duclair were all the craze around here.

It's been going on for years. I remember when Antero Niittymakki was someone we were supposed to be afraid of for the Flyers.

Yeah this is common but I'm just not high on butcher and I think Sanheim is a solid second pair D man, nothing crazy but I would prefer Sanheim over Butcher now and moving forward.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would think Clarkson would have the Devils on his no trade list because of taxes so I would be surprised if we are a match with Vegas for anything unfortunately.
How does the tax thing work if he's not technically living in New Jersey? I thought NHL players get taxed by each locale? So 41 games in the home state of their team and 41 games according to the taxes of everywhere else.

But Clarkson wouldn't be making his money in different cities? Just wherever he currently resides?

feerlessleadr

Jul 1, 2006
New Jersey
How does the tax thing work if he's not technically living in New Jersey? I thought NHL players get taxed by each locale? So 41 games in the home state of their team and 41 games according to the taxes of everywhere else.

But Clarkson wouldn't be making his money in different cities? Just wherever he currently resides?

The thing most people don't realize is that many states have reciprocity tax clauses for situations like this (i.e. athletes, etc.) where each state says, I won't tax your residents working in my state if you don't tax my residents working in yours. There are obviously other things to consider (like local tax jurisdictions as well), but for the most part, the majority of money that players make is taxed in the home state that they work. This also applies to US players that play away games in Canada, so long as said player doesn't 'work' over a certain number of days in Canada per year.

I don't know the specifics about Clarkson's situation, but let's say for example he would be living in Florida, but is paid by the Devils. Depending on his tax situation, he would need NJ takes withheld on his paycheck. Even though he doesn't live in NJ, he would only get a portion of that withheld state tax money back, since his 'employer' is based in NJ.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad