Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Given my faith in Castron, I'd have a real hard time giving up four firsts on top of what would be a pretty exorbitant salary. Long term I have to wonder how both of those factors would gel.

I view our future ELCs as the pressure release valve while the team gets better and along with it, more expensive. The ELCs allow more time to have your projected moves conform to the project payroll. Some players will make it, some won't, some will be traded either way, etc.

Since the first round has the best chance of yielding NHL regulars, short of McDavid I'd have a hard time parting with that many first round picks as either future currency in trade, or future ELCs for (what should become some of our most) promising prospects.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
there are no UFA DMen that I even want

The Devils need a nice, cheap depth RD -- there is no one reliable on the roster if injury should befall one of the top three RD. I think Petrovic would be a nice signing in the $1.25-$1.5 million range. At LD, Mirco Mueller will probably fill the spare role, ready to come in if Greene gets fatigued or Smith suffers any rookie hiccups.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
and it still took the devils luck that 16 teams before us drafted smith. the picks are only as good as the players being there then developing them and we dont even know if he is going to be good in the nhl yet

But if I don’t have those picks, I know I can’t develop them. I need to have cheap players that can contribute at a high level to be good. We saw how the Devils suffered when their first round picks were poor or didn’t exist, it was extremely difficult to piece together a good team.

I may happily give up 4 first round picks if they were over 8 years, but 4 consecutive years of no first round pick is going to take a heavy toll in the future.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I'm going to have to disagree. Boqvist's weaknesses are defensive play, physical acumen and face-offs -- all things which Jack Hughes needs to work on, as well. Zacha is far superior in these qualities, and can really help Hughes, especially in the defensive zone. Zacha also has a superior shot to Boqvist, and Hughes will set him up for many of these. Zacha is the perfectly ideal LW for Hughes in his rookie campaign.

That's fair and I agree with that sentiment, where I maybe disagree or am different than some people. Zacha has not proven to me that he should be in a top 6 role to start the year and Boqvist being in Europe doesnt make me think any less of him a player. I would prefer to find a different winger and then Zacha to play with Boqvist actually.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Devils need a nice, cheap depth RD -- there is no one reliable on the roster if injury should befall one of the top three RD. I think Petrovic would be a nice signing in the $1.25-$1.5 million range. At LD, Mirco Mueller will probably fill the spare role, ready to come in if Greene gets fatigued or Smith suffers any rookie hiccups.

they have Carrick

Reactions: StevenToddIves

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Getting a solid LD would go a long way for this team. If Nico and Hughes are as good as advertised, I think we can have wingers on ELCs that can easily succeed. That’s a nice recipe for success.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
they have Carrick
Butcher, Mueller, and Smith also have the ability to switch over if necessary.

Also, I haven't seen him play at all, but I've read that Josh Jacobs took some big steps this last year. Worse comes to worse, if 3 or 4o D men get injured at once, I wouldn't mind seeing what he's got.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What I find "comforting" for the lack of a better word is that there are a few guys whose ELCs expire when some of our larger deals expire. That's a great way to be set up so you can move on from older guys if younger guys are more deserving of that deal.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I don’t know how we could possibly afford Panarin, Hughes, Hischier, Hall, Nico and the other contracts we have to give out.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don’t know how we could possibly afford Panarin, Hughes, Hischier, Hall, Nico and the other contracts we have to give out.

we could probably do it but you better get used to having an underwhelming left side on D

it doesn't matter because it isn't going to happen. I will be shocked if he signs anywhere other than Florida with his buddy Bob

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
We cant afford Panarin

You have to think about the cap 3-4 years out.

Hall making 10.5-11
Hischier making 7-8.5
Bratt making 4-5
Hughes and Smith up in three years

And then add Panarin at 10-11

And that doesnt include upgrades in FA or trades between then.

Yes we have a ton of cap space now and will unload a lot more the next 2-3 years, but you cant look at Toronto’s situation and tell me having four forwards over 7mil is a good thing. Because its not.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Anyone who wants Panarin must not want to keep Hall...
Technically there is space for both.

Zajac, Greene, Subban, Schneider, and Wood all coming off the books by 2022 the latest makes that scenario seem less outrageous as well.

I'm not saying we should necessarily go after Panarin specifically, but I do believe we can afford another star if the right one is available.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
the only thing I would like to sign in free agency is
A) 2nd line wing and
B) Solid 4th liner (not even a need but if someone is available I am not against it)

thats basically it

if we are going to look to upgrade at LD, go into the trade market
Agreed with the 2nd line wing, but I'd actually rather leave a 4th line spot open for a kid that's not Hughes, Smith, or Boqvist. It's kind of a carrot to dangle in front of them. Let the kids battle it out and the survivor take the prize.

I also feel we have unsigned free agents that could fill that 4th line role - Agostino and/or Noesson. I'd be perfectly comfortable re-signing one or both of them to sit in the box and fill in if none of the kids prove worthy.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
Technically there is space for both.

Zajac, Greene, Subban, Schneider, and Wood all coming off the books by 2022 the latest makes that scenario seem less outrageous as well.

I'm not saying we should necessarily go after Panarin specifically, but I do believe we can afford another star if the right one is available.
Not with two 1st overalls needing to be paid

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Not with two 1st overalls needing to be paid
by the time Hughes needs to be paid PK's cap will be gone.

Having a cap crunch isn't a bad thing if it's because of a player like Panarin. When you're in a cap crunch because you overpay Bryan Bickell, Milan Lucic, Tyler Myers, or guys in those range is when you're in trouble.

Panarin basically helps us get to contender status within Hughes' elc

Reactions: TheDuke93
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad