Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
So Boqvist - who has yet to play a single game in the NHL - is worthy of a 2nd line spot but a 22 y/o established NHL'er who finished the year quite strong isn't? Ok.

He wouldn't handicap Hughes if he's on the left side with Palms on the right. Not. One. Bit. A strong on his skates winger with a large frame to work the corners, snipe every now and again who is more than capable of dishing + Hughes + Kyle dropping napalm = great success.

If we bring in another established 20+ goal scoring winger you give Zacha a go on Travs wing. He's certainly better than Wood and Z-Z-B would be a hell of a checking line.

Where did I suggest bumping Zajac down to the 4th? And what chemistry? It was a rotating gong show. He just happened to be the stabilizing force on it. I'm thrilled to have Zajac on the 3rd line, but if he was so great last year they would have bumped Zacha down and promoted him.

Zacha needs to be a winger in the top 9 or traded. It's poor asset management if it plays out any other way and I've been saying this for quite some time.

Yeah pretty much, I think Boqvist has shown more top 6 potential than Zacha who has failed in that role in a large sample size. Doesn't mean either can or cant be a top 6 guy, but as of now I would prefer Boqvist in a top role wing role over Zacha depending on what we add.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Zacha will not be "fighting" for 4th line minutes. He will be on the 2nd, 3rd, or traded. Hell, I could see him on his off wing with Nico and Hall for a bit before they even consider him on the 4th.
agreed he is a bit underestimated he is a top 6 forward on this team..he played very strong towards end of season .. I fully expect a break out year for him

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Yeah pretty much, I think Boqvist has shown more top 6 potential than Zacha who has failed in that role in a large sample size. Doesn't mean either can or cant be a top 6 guy, but as of now I would prefer Boqvist in a top role wing role over Zacha depending on what we add.

you would prefer a guy that has zero games in NHL over Zacha ?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
you would prefer a guy that has zero games in NHL over Zacha ?

Yes why does games in the NHL matter if Zacha has been give 3 years to produce at a top 6 level and has barely produced at a 3/4 line level. He finished the year strong which is good but I would prefer him in a lesser role playing Center since he is good at draws and good defensively. Boqvist is a better offensive player in my eyes and I would rather have him in the top 6 on the wing as the roster is currently constructed.

kiwidevil

Has Vatanen actually spent extended time on the left in Anaheim? If so I am not sure we should dip into ufa for d.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Has Vatanen actually spent extended time on the left in Anaheim? If so I am not sure we should dip into ufa for d.

He spent some time on an R-R pairing and it went awfully. The Devils should not be considering this except if there's some injuries.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The Swede has yet to play a pro game on North American ice and you'd prefer him over a guy who's still developing at 22, was on pace for ~35 pts over 82 gp, and took a big leap forward at the end of last season while playing with a rotating cast often times consisting of guys who should never sniff those kinds of minutes?

I have high hopes for Jesper 2 as well, but we need to be realistic here.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
The Swede has yet to play a pro game on North American ice and you'd prefer him over a guy who's still developing at 22, was on pace for ~35 pts over 82 gp, and took a big leap forward at the end of last season while playing with a rotating cast often times consisting of guys who should never sniff those kinds of minutes?

I have high hopes for Jesper 2 as well, but we need to be realistic here.

On the wing in a top 6 role without any additional moves yes. 35 points over 82 games is a 3rd line player, I think he can be better than that but I am higher on Boqvist on the wing compared to Zacha. Would rather have Zacha and Zajac centering lines since the Hughes line will likely get sheltered minutes leading to the bottom 6 lines playing significantly more often than in a normal rotation.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Yes why does games in the NHL matter if Zacha has been give 3 years to produce at a top 6 level and has barely produced at a 3/4 line level. He finished the year strong which is good but I would prefer him in a lesser role playing Center since he is good at draws and good defensively. Boqvist is a better offensive player in my eyes and I would rather have him in the top 6 on the wing as the roster is currently constructed.
None of us have any idea if he's a better offensive player in the NHL. Highly touted D++ Euros come over and wash out all the time.

Zacha is an absolute waste on the 4th line.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
None of us have any idea if he's a better offensive player in the NHL. Highly touted D++ Euros come over and wash out all the time.

Zacha is an absolute waste on the 4th line.

Okay I dont think Zacha would be a waste getting 13-14 minutes a game with Wood on his wing and maybe Anderson or Bastian on the other side, getting PP2 Faceoffs and minutes and playing PK2 as per usual.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
so now that the devils took the first step to being playoff contenders do you take the next step and look to offer sheet marner or work out a sign and trade? it will be pricey and i know they have hall to sign also but where there is a will there is a way. if they did offer sheet him and had to give up the 4 first rounders i really dont expect those picks to be lottery picks and should be in the 20s thus lessening the value a little. i'm not saying to do it but i thought i would bring it up to see

can't wait to see people say thats what i want to do.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I could see the Devils work out a trade for Marner before I see an offer sheet making sense.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
If you offersheet Marner you better hope he is the final piece. We are basically capped out and don’t have major assets to make anymore big moves.

he would be the final piece up front. you would just have to hope that cory and blackwood hold the fort and be average at best. smith takes the job and runs with it and pk being pk

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I could see the Devils work out a trade for Marner before I see an offer sheet making sense.

if it drove the price down on the contract that would be better but i think the 4 firsts would be a lot less valuable to lose imo. picking in the 20s is no sure thing

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
he would be the final piece up front. you would just have to hope that cory and blackwood hold the fort and be average at best. smith takes the job and runs with it and pk being pk

We won’t be able to add. You are committing almost $22 million to two wingers with $9 million to Subban. You have no first rounders to trade.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
if it drove the price down on the contract that would be better but i think the 4 firsts would be a lot less valuable to lose imo. picking in the 20s is no sure thing

But I’ve lost 4 first round picks in a row. Even if my team is good, it’s almost guaranteeing a poor pipeline of cheap talent coming up.

For example, Ty Smith wasn’t a high pick but he may make a good impact on a cheap deal.

I’d rather give up a 2020 and 2022 first plus current players/ prospects than solely all first round picks. I don’t want a decent chance of 4 dry years of draft picks in a row.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'm going to have to disagree. Boqvist's weaknesses are defensive play, physical acumen and face-offs -- all things which Jack Hughes needs to work on, as well. Zacha is far superior in these qualities, and can really help Hughes, especially in the defensive zone. Zacha also has a superior shot to Boqvist, and Hughes will set him up for many of these. Zacha is the perfectly ideal LW for Hughes in his rookie campaign.

Reactions: TheDuke93

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
But I’ve lost 4 first round picks in a row. Even if my team is good, it’s almost guaranteeing a poor pipeline of cheap talent coming up.

For example, Ty Smith wasn’t a high pick but he may make a good impact on a cheap deal.

I’d rather give up a 2020 and 2022 first plus current players/ prospects than solely all first round picks. I don’t want a decent chance of 4 dry years of draft picks in a row.

and it still took the devils luck that 16 teams before us drafted smith. the picks are only as good as the players being there then developing them and we dont even know if he is going to be good in the nhl yet

again i'm not on either side of it. JUSt convo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->