Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I think Boqvist ends up going back to Sweden(?) and one of Anderson, Bastian, or even Agostino may win that 3rd RW spot

Btw today is Joey Anderson’s birthday

Edit: for some reason I thought Jesper was a 2018 2nd round pick. Maybe he will make the team after all. Probably has the best chance now that I realize hes turning 21 in October

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
career high 55 pt center getting 7m

This market is ****ed

And yet we've had years debating whether Travis was overpaid at $5.5 million here. Can't wait for the next Travis is overpaid post when he has a five-game goalless streak next year.

Reactions: Bleedred

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Greg Wyshynski‏Verified account @wyshynski 6s6 seconds ago
More
Ray Shero quoted "There's Something About Mary" to me today

i hope it wasn’t this

7488708.gif

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
With the possibility of Hall leaving id be really really weary of trading Bratt or Palmieri or any of the guys that are the only top 6 wingers we have. It’s a tough balance because you want the upgrade on defense but if you hurt the offense by moving Bratt for example then it will be in big trouble if Hall leaves next summer.

You can tell me about Anderson and Boqvist and all the other prospects but until they show they can play in the NHL in a top 6 they are just lottery tickets.

You have to give to get and I believe we need to upgrade the D, but I’d rather go into next season with 4 of the top 6 being Bratt Palmieri Nico and Jack then with just 3 of them and one of the wingers and Hall gone. That would need to make the Defenseman very good, I don’t see very good Lefty Dman getting traded.

Reactions: Bet the Over

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
And yet we've had years debating whether Travis was overpaid at $5.5 million here. Can't wait for the next Travis is overpaid post when he has a five-game goalless streak next year.

i'm sure 6 years from now contracts signed today will look cheap too. whats the point?

zombie abo

Jun 15, 2019
finnyland
I think Boqvist ends up going back to Sweden(?) and one of Anderson, Bastian, or even Agostino may win that 3rd RW spot

Btw today is Joey Anderson’s birthday

Edit: for some reason I thought Jesper was a 2018 2nd round pick. Maybe he will make the team after all. Probably has the best chance now that I realize hes turning 21 in October

Broqvist ain’t goin back to no sweden. He’s one of the top prospects and given the nature of this team, he has a perfect chance to walk into a roster spot.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
With the possibility of Hall leaving id be really really weary of trading Bratt or Palmieri or any of the guys that are the only top 6 wingers we have. It’s a tough balance because you want the upgrade on defense but if you hurt the offense by moving Bratt for example then it will be in big trouble if Hall leaves next summer.

You can tell me about Anderson and Boqvist and all the other prospects but until they show they can play in the NHL in a top 6 they are just lottery tickets.

You have to give to get and I believe we need to upgrade the D, but I’d rather go into next season with 4 of the top 6 being Bratt Palmieri Nico and Jack then with just 3 of them and one of the wingers and Hall gone. That would need to make the Defenseman very good, I don’t see very good Lefty Dman getting traded.
I think you have to be open of trading just about anyone if the return is right. And if(hypothetical here) Shero knows that Hall will stay if we add a d-man then you are not as thin at wing, especially lw.

And you could trade Bratt and then sign a solid veteran winger. I don't even know who is still potentially out there anymore, but wingers, especially lefties(though Bratt does provide the versatility of playing either wing) are the most easy to find commodity in the league.

That all said, I'm with you, as are most, in not really wanting to trade Bratt. I'm on of the few who doesn't really see a big need to add players, I expect the young players, of whom there are a lot, to step up, I expect injuries to have less of an impact, and I think we will be a markedly better team next year. IMO the only rush to add vets is to possibly appease Hall, and on that front I'm lukewarm. Still, you have to be open to a trade if you are getting the right player(s) back.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Broqvist ain’t goin back to no sweden. He’s one of the top prospects and given the nature of this team, he has a perfect chance to walk into a roster spot.
When I watch his highlights, he may need time to adjust to the smaller ice.

Problem is he wont play in the AHL if he doesnt make the team... not a fan of that decision

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The only hesitation I'd have here is if they look to add a proven winger for the top 6, which would squeeze Boqvist to maybe the 4th line, and that doesn't look like a great fit for him.

Even on Hughes' wing, 2 rookies on the top 6? I know they would likely get very protected minutes, but that is not what you expect from a team looking to contend for a playoff spot.

So I don't see it as a slam dunk as we are currently constructed.

On the other hand, a big ole trade which moves assets like a Zacha, or a Bratt, or Wood, or Hall obviously makes it very likely.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
When I watch his highlights, he may need time to adjust to the smaller ice.

Problem is he wont play in the AHL if he doesnt make the team... not a fan of that decision

I agree, but I hope Shero can get in his ear on that. Perhaps talk him into accepting a month in the AHL.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To answer MartyOwns' question from the previous thread, no I don't sleep. I think I'm part vampire. Or I've just worked nights for like a decade now and have a messed up sleep cycle.:laugh:

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
Well I know he can go back to SHL if he wants, but is he barred from playing in the AHL?
Not ‘barred’, but they made it a clause for his first year that if he doesnt make it he goes back to Sweden. And thats what got him to sign.

Pretty sure anyway

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Apparently Marleau only wants to play in SJ, and if TOR can't trade him there directly he'll demand a trade to a team that can buy him out so he can sign there.

A buyout would still cost the whole $6.25M cap hit for one year because he's on a +35 deal, but would only cost $3.8M in actual dollars (833K after his bonus is paid July 1st) because his deal was frontloaded and bonus heavy.

If we could take back someone like Kapanen that would be a great way to use cap space. Similar to the Bickell cap dump, which allowed the Canes to land Teravaninen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad