Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The thing most people don't realize is that many states have reciprocity tax clauses for situations like this (i.e. athletes, etc.) where each state says, I won't tax your residents working in my state if you don't tax my residents working in yours. There are obviously other things to consider (like local tax jurisdictions as well), but for the most part, the majority of money that players make is taxed in the home state that they work. This also applies to US players that play away games in Canada, so long as said player doesn't 'work' over a certain number of days in Canada per year.

I don't know the specifics about Clarkson's situation, but let's say for example he would be living in Florida, but is paid by the Devils. Depending on his tax situation, he would need NJ takes withheld on his paycheck. Even though he doesn't live in NJ, he would only get a portion of that withheld state tax money back, since his 'employer' is based in NJ.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Nevada is another state (like Florida) that has no state income tax (due to tourism generating the funds) so he's obviously not paying any taxes to the state right now, if that's the case.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The thing most people don't realize is that many states have reciprocity tax clauses for situations like this (i.e. athletes, etc.) where each state says, I won't tax your residents working in my state if you don't tax my residents working in yours. There are obviously other things to consider (like local tax jurisdictions as well), but for the most part, the majority of money that players make is taxed in the home state that they work. This also applies to US players that play away games in Canada, so long as said player doesn't 'work' over a certain number of days in Canada per year.

I don't know the specifics about Clarkson's situation, but let's say for example he would be living in Florida, but is paid by the Devils. Depending on his tax situation, he would need NJ takes withheld on his paycheck. Even though he doesn't live in NJ, he would only get a portion of that withheld state tax money back, since his 'employer' is based in NJ.

will you do my taxes next year?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
How does the tax thing work if he's not technically living in New Jersey? I thought NHL players get taxed by each locale? So 41 games in the home state of their team and 41 games according to the taxes of everywhere else.

But Clarkson wouldn't be making his money in different cities? Just wherever he currently resides?

It’s where you earn your money that matters for the jock tax, not where you’re living. So I think NJ would argue, and win, that a buyout by a NJ team would fall under the NJ jock tax.

It apparently gets much more complicated than that, so I don’t think any of us can know for sure Clarkson’s full tax implications, but NJ being a generally high tax place with a jock tax means they’re likely not a favorable place to end up.

Reactions: Bleedred

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Hall. Nico bratt
??? Hughes palms
Pickle zajac wood
And then a bunch of players to fight over the fourth line. Zacha seney Anderson hayden etc.
Ferland Nyquist alex chiasson are options I think the devils could put into the line up
Zacha will not be "fighting" for 4th line minutes. He will be on the 2nd, 3rd, or traded. Hell, I could see him on his off wing with Nico and Hall for a bit before they even consider him on the 4th.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

It might be different because of retirement but I know plenty of people who retired from NJ and moved to a no-income state tax state in order to maximize their income after retirement.

Why wouldnt this work the same way? If your employer is in NJ but you live in Florida, (in retirement) you wouldnt be on the hook for NJ tax, No??

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It might be different because of retirement but I know plenty of people who retired from NJ and moved to a no-income state tax state in order to maximize their income after retirement.

Why wouldnt this work the same way? If your employer is in NJ but you live in Florida, (in retirement) you wouldnt be on the hook for NJ tax, No??
I'm gonna assume this could be because Clarkson technically isn't ''Retired'' and this might have something to do with it, but I'm no expert on this matter.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I would think Clarkson would have the Devils on his no trade list because of taxes so I would be surprised if we are a match with Vegas for anything unfortunately.

Correct. A player with a NTC in a tax-free state is not going to accept a "trade" to a high-tax state like New Jersey.

feerlessleadr

Jul 1, 2006
New Jersey
That might very well be the case Im hoping he might know haha

Despite the big words I used in my post, I'm actually far from a tax expert (I just happen to work in an accounting firm on the IT side so I hear things here and there).

I would agree with bleed though in that Clarkson isn't actually retired, and is pulling a paycheck from whatever team holds his contract.

In your example, the retirement that the person is drawing against is most likely in a separate account, and therefore the 'income' is technically earned in whatever state you are living. Again, really just wild guesses though based on my limited understanding of tax law.

Reactions: Bleedred

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Zacha will not be "fighting" for 4th line minutes. He will be on the 2nd, 3rd, or traded. Hell, I could see him on his off wing with Nico and Hall for a bit before they even consider him on the 4th.

Zacha could theoretically put up 40+ points with Nico or Hughes but why sandbag them? If the Devils don’t sign anyone else; sure give him a shot but the Devil’s aren’t putting Boqvist/Bratt on the 4th. Lets move Zajac down who has obviously chemistry with his line and oh was one of our best players last year. Ok

Azathoth

May 25, 2017
Centre of Chaos
Zacha could theoretically put up 40+ points with Nico or Hughes but why sandbag them? If the Devils don’t sign anyone else; sure give him a shot but the Devil’s aren’t putting Boqvist/Bratt on the 4th. Lets move Zajac down who has obviously chemistry with his line and oh was one of our best players last year. Ok
A 3rd line of Coleman-Zajac-Zacha could be a very tough line to play against while still putting up decent points for a 3rd line.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Correct. A player with a NTC in a tax-free state is not going to accept a "trade" to a high-tax state like New Jersey.
Even if the only reason he got that insane contract in the first place was due to the team in said high-tax state which could now benefit from getting him?

He obviously doesn't "owe" the Devils anything, but it'd be nice if he took it into consideration.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
A 3rd line of Coleman-Zajac-Zacha could be a very tough line to play against while still putting up decent points for a 3rd line.
i love this, and if rooney can establish himself as the 4th line center than we are going to be good to go.

hoping bastia can make a run at that 4th line RW spot. idk why but he really reminds me of the Devils version of Steve Bernier

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
There's a big difference between directly quoting the President of the team and making up anonymous "sources".

Pagnotta is giving nothing new here, of course we still have holes and of course we're not done.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Amanda straight up implied it on the podcast this morning. He isn’t saying anything new.

It’s common sense. A team doesn’t take on a player at Subban at full value for just 3 years to stand pat. The team is obviously in the build for now phase.

Anyways, looking at the Tyler Myers speculation, I’m glad to not be in that derby.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
So Boqvist - who has yet to play a single game in the NHL - is worthy of a 2nd line spot but a 22 y/o established NHL'er who finished the year quite strong isn't? Ok.

He wouldn't handicap Hughes if he's on the left side with Palms on the right. Not. One. Bit. A strong on his skates winger with a large frame to work the corners, snipe every now and again who is more than capable of dishing + Hughes + Kyle dropping napalm = great success.

If we bring in another established 20+ goal scoring winger you give Zacha a go on Travs wing. He's certainly better than Wood and Z-Z-B would be a hell of a checking line.

Where did I suggest bumping Zajac down to the 4th? And what chemistry? It was a rotating gong show. He just happened to be the stabilizing force on it. I'm thrilled to have Zajac on the 3rd line, but if he was so great last year they would have bumped Zacha down and promoted him.

Zacha needs to be a winger in the top 9 or traded. It's poor asset management if it plays out any other way and I've been saying this for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->