Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils6

Jan 24, 2013
Hall. Nico bratt
??? Hughes palms
Pickle zajac wood
And then a bunch of players to fight over the fourth line. Zacha seney Anderson hayden etc.
Ferland Nyquist alex chiasson are options I think the devils could put into the line up

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if we somehow make a move for a middle 6 RW, i would be ecstatic

hall-nico-bratt
zacha-hughes-palmieri
coleman-zajac-new RW

rotate the RWs however you want

even if we don't do anything, the top 6 looks great for now, esp since you can rotate hughes and zajac for usage as needed. but a new RW could/would put us over the top

Reactions: Owenay

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Nikita Gusev should be the target.

Get McCrimmin/McPhee on the phone, and offer Mike McLeod + 2020 3rd round pick + 2021 2nd round pick for Nikita Gusev and David Clarkson. If they request more, then keep the dialogue going until the deal is done.

Then offer Nikita Gusev a 4-5 year, 5-6 million AAV contract. Nikita Gusev is the real deal. A 60+ point winger. Get him.

Reactions: theoptimist

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Nikita Gusev should be the target.

Get McCrimmin/McPhee on the phone, and offer Mike McLeod + 2020 3rd round pick + 2021 2nd round pick for Nikita Gusev and David Clarkson. If they request more, then keep the dialogue going until the deal is done.

Then offer Nikita Gusev a 4-5 year, 5-6 million AAV contract. Nikita Gusev is the real deal. A 60+ point winger. Get him.

in what league? not against trading for him but he has not scored 60+ points in the NHL.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think Zacha should be moved. Not because I hate him or because he sucks or whatever nonsense I'm going to get for suggesting this, but because I'm skeptical he'll be anything more than a 30-40 point guy and if we wait to long to move him then his value will disappear.

At 22, former 6th overall pick, teams could make the argument he could still become the guy he was drafted to be. Every year that goes by, the less likely he is to get there. I don't think he will get there, so trade him now while other teams might still be interested.

In regards to the "but he's the next Zajac!" type of responses - it shouldn't be that hard to find a defensively responsible middle-6 center. If you're drafting well you should be churning out guys like that every few years. McLeod could be that guy. Moynihan could be that guy. Talvite could be that guy. It's not difficult to find 3rd line centers who can get 40 points and play defense. Obviously, Zajac is amazing at that role, but we don't need an amazing guy to be there. And, this should go without saying, but if you're grooming one of your top under-22 players to be a role player then something tragic has gone wrong.

But now, I think he could be a main piece in a deal for a legitimate top-6 winger. Especially to a contender who can shelter him. He has a safe floor as a 3rd liner, and they can gamble he breaks out and becomes a cost-controlled point producer. Imagine him as LW3 on a deep Western team like Winnipeg or St. Louis.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I think Zacha should be moved. Not because I hate him or because he sucks or whatever nonsense I'm going to get for suggesting this, but because I'm skeptical he'll be anything more than a 30-40 point guy and if we wait to long to move him then his value will disappear.

At 22, former 6th overall pick, teams could make the argument he could still become the guy he was drafted to be. Every year that goes by, the less likely he is to get there. I don't think he will get there, so trade him now while other teams might still be interested.

In regards to the "but he's the next Zajac!" type of responses - it shouldn't be that hard to find a defensively responsible middle-6 center. If you're drafting well you should be churning out guys like that every few years. McLeod could be that guy. Moynihan could be that guy. Talvite could be that guy. It's not difficult to find 3rd line centers who can get 40 points and play defense. Obviously, Zajac is amazing at that role, but we don't need an amazing guy to be there. And, this should go without saying, but if you're grooming one of your top under-22 players to be a role player then something tragic has gone wrong.

But now, I think he could be a main piece in a deal for a legitimate top-6 winger. Especially to a contender who can shelter him. He has a safe floor as a 3rd liner, and they can gamble he breaks out and becomes a cost-controlled point producer. Imagine him as LW3 on a deep Western team like Winnipeg or St. Louis.

I might be Zacha's biggest fan/defender here and even I am OK with moving him in the right deal for a legit top 6 winger

I just wouldn't move him for like a 3rd round pick or something at this point. That makes no sense to me.

I will say the way he ended the season last year has me intrigued though

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
in what league? not against trading for him but he has not scored 60+ points in the NHL.

82 points in 62 games in the KHL this year. Also had 16 points in the world championships for Russia. He's really good

upload_2019-6-24_12-7-41.png

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
If Zacha can get 40+ points a year and provide great two way play then he is an asset. And yes I am going to say it, theres your Zajac replacement. His contract will also be cheap which is important and if he is a late bloomer then the contract will be a steal. He also provides some size.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I might be Zacha's biggest fan/defender here and even I am OK with moving him in the right deal for a legit top 6 winger

I just wouldn't move him for like a 3rd round pick or something at this point. That makes no sense to me.

I will say the way he ended the season last year has me intrigued though
To me it comes down to weighing trade value vs. on ice value. Zacha does a lot of little things to help the team perform better, but he's not an integral player. He's an accessory player.

However, his age/contract/pedigree could make him a very intriguing asset to a lot of teams. He has more value to this franchise as a trade piece than he does as an on-ice player, IMO. Don't move him just for the sake of moving him, it would have to be a hockey trade of course.

I don't think it's that far off from Larsson, who we also traded at the right time. When you trade for a guy at 26 you know what you're getting, at 22-23 you're still hoping there's room for growth.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Hall. Nico bratt
??? Hughes palms
Pickle zajac wood
And then a bunch of players to fight over the fourth line. Zacha seney Anderson hayden etc.
Ferland Nyquist alex chiasson are options I think the devils could put into the line up

putting zacha on the 4th line will eliminate any little trade value he might have right now.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
right in the KHL, not the NHL. Not saying he cant be a 60 point winger here but he should be referred to a "60+ point winger" when he hasnt done in in the league that matters.

I wasn't the one who said he was a 60 point winger, just was showing you his stats in the KHL.

For reference, Panarin scored 62 points in the KHL, then came over here and put up 77 for Chicago. There is definitely reason to believe that Gusev would be an impact player here.

Reactions: Figgie

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I wasn't the one who said he was a 60 point winger, just was showing you his stats in the KHL.

For reference, Panarin scored 62 points in the KHL, then came over here and put up 77 for Chicago. There is definitely reason to believe that Gusev would be an impact player here.

I understand I saw his stats before I originally commented, all circumstances outside the NHL are not equal.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Travis Sanheim just got 2 years, $3.25 AAV from Philly

I Expect thats about what Butcher is looking at if he signs a bridge deal

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I like Zacha but I would seriously consider flipping him for Kadri... opens up crucial cap space for the Leafs as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad