Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No. I wouldn't trade Hall for the 4th.

If he refuses to sign you wouldn’t trade him for 4th overall? That is insane.

You do that, draft Byram, and never look back.

I think if you get to the beginning of the season and he's not signed yet, it's already too late to trade him since prospective trade partners will have their rosters set already. At that point you pretty much have to wait until the trade deadline.

You will get highest value at the draft or at the deadline. We won’t get maximum value in the middle of summer.

Last edited:

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Well, in looking at capfriendly, I almost forgot how many teams are pretty f***ed cap-wise.

This summer is already franchise changing, but it could lay the groundwork for us to have a real beast of a team. I still say Ray did the right thing standing pat last summer, but this year...lot of opportunity.

Reactions: mdj12784

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
You will get highest value at the draft or at the deadline. We won’t get maximum value in the middle of summer.
True, but if you start trade negotiations prior to free agency day you still have a shot at a good return.

-edit-
Also, isn't it pretty standard to ask for a player, a prospect, and a pick for someone of Hall's caliber? Although 4OA could trump that.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Frankly, I think the 4th overall wouldn't get you Bowen Byram. I think Byram will be selected at 3rd overall, so I would try to facilitate a trade with Chicago and Colorado, where Colorado gets Taylor Hall, Devils get 3rd overall (Byram), and Chicago gets 4th overall (Turcotte) + something else.

Can you imagine the Devils coming out of the draft with Jack Hughes at #1, Bowen Byram at #3, and Bobby Brink/Lassi Thomson/Niklas Hoglander at #34, and then on July 1 landing Artemi Panarin.

Reactions: mdj12784

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If he refuses to sign you wouldn’t trade him for 4th overall? That is insane.

You do that, draft Byram, and never look back.

Byram likely won't be there at 4th overall, and Turcotte for Hall isn't good value, especially when at that point we'll have Hughes and Hischier.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Hall-Nico-Palms
Bratt-Hughes-Eberle
Boqvst-Zacha-Anderson
Wood-Zajac-Coleman

You roll all four lines. You don’t hide a bottom line for 8 minutes a night. Switch them for situational purposes like holding late game leads (Zajac becomes the 2C in those situations).
I'd switch Eberle and Palms, that way, when Eberle inevitably disappears for stretches of the season, he isn't killing an entire line. Hall and Hischier would be good enough to carry him, even when he's worthless for stretches.

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Coleman
Wood-Zajac-Bastian/Anderson/Vet

Is probably how I run it. Don't want two "green" players on the 3rd line. Could also see a vet addition allowing Anderson and Bastian to play extended minutes in Bingo.

EDIT - Reading further, I see this has all been addressed. Carry on.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I'd switch Eberle and Palms, that way, when Eberle inevitably disappears for stretches of the season, he isn't killing an entire line. Hall and Hischier would be good enough to carry him, even when he's worthless for stretches.

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Coleman

Is probably how I run it. Don't want two "green" players on the 3rd line. Could also see a vet addition allowing Anderson and Bastian to play extended minutes in Bingo.

I know people want to keep feeding Zacha minuets but Zajac’s line was the best line for the majority of last season and I wouldn’t break it up. Maybe I am old school but Boqvist shouldn’t be on the 3rd/4th line. 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines that can score.

Wood-Zajac-Coleman
Agostino-Zacha-Rooney/Noe

kiwidevil

Is Nico ready to drive his own line? Do we really need Hall glued to him?
Hall - Hughes could be fun and give Jack some ultra skill from day one.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Is Nico ready to drive his own line? Do we really need Hall glued to him?
Hall - Hughes could be fun and give Jack some ultra skill from day one.

Hall and Hughes are both players that drive the play and need the puck on their stick more often than not to decide where the play is going to go. The thought is to keep them separate 5v5 and create two potentially dominant puck entry and possession lines. Hughes needs players that can find the soft places on the ice and in teams defenses and just rip the puck once he’s done most of the work.

With that being said, Hischier absolutely takes a step forward this coming season and continues on his way to becoming a 2 way 1st line beast of a Center.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Even with Ty Smith on the way, Gustafsson is something I would certainly say yes to for Wood. He's not that hard to replace and Gustafsson's don't grow on trees.
Gustafsson is 27 and one year away from UFA. Too risky to trade for him if he is going bolt after 1 year or ask for a huge contact on the back of only 1 great season.

Would rather keep Wood and continue with Butcher and Severson sharing PP QB and introduce Smith into lineup.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Hall-Hischier-Eberle
Bratt-Hughes-Palmieri
Boqvist-Zacha-Coleman

If Eberle wants to sign for a 3 year deal, I'd be open to it, but more than that I'd probably pass.

I definitely like the thought of Hughes and Palmeri. Play driving C that can set up Palms on even strength would be beneficial for sure. I like the thought of Zajac and Coleman together with another wing, with Wood with Zacha and another wing to give you 4 lines that can score.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

He thinks the price would be Butcher, two 2nds and a prospect, or something like that. Would you do it?

I’m not opposed to dealing Butcher but this would have to not include our own 2nd round pick. I’m not dealing what I assume to be essentially a 1st rounder (deep draft), a 2nd, a prospect (who knows what grade?) and Butcher for Trouba who has wanted out for years now.

This deal would also have to mean Vatanen or Severson are on their way out as I can’t see a right side of the 3 of them existing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad