Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
From the last thread:

EDIT: THIS ISN'T LEGAL. STILL A FUN IDEA THOUGH.

I think Matties Ekholm is a more realistic target. (Than Roman Josi)

Some outside the box thinking. Two trades with Nashville, where the Devils retain 3.5 million of Subban's contract (38.89%) for the Predators. Works perfectly for the Devils for when Jack Hughes next contract will start, and Mattias Ekholm next contract would be. Works well for the Predators because they will have 7.25 million of extra salary cap space.

To NJD:
PK Subban

To Nashville:
Mike McLeod
Mirco Mueller
2019 34th overall pick
2020 1st round pick (top 3 protected)

THEN

To NJD:
Mattias Ekholm

To Nashville:
PK Subban (38.89% contract AAV retained)

Last edited:

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
From the last thread:

Some outside the box thinking. Two trades with Nashville, where the Devils retain 3.5 million of Subban's contract (38.89%) for the Predators. Works perfectly for the Devils for when Jack Hughes next contract will start, and Mattias Ekholm next contract would be. Works well for the Predators because they will have 7.25 million of extra salary cap space.

To NJD:
PK Subban

To Nashville:
Mike McLeod
Mirco Mueller
2019 34th overall pick

THEN

To NJD:
Mattias Ekholm

To Nashville:
I vaguely remember not being allowed to do that. Not sure where I heard that from.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I would love to know if Shero and Hall and Hall’s agent have sat down to talk substance yet. I still think the entire NJ trade and UFA strategy hinges on whether Hall is in or out.
Ive thought about it

Does Hall staying really affect what we do?

Whats the most we'd do anyway - trade for a LHD and sign a top-6 FA? Those all seem like ample upgrades even if Hall leaves

Id have to imagine theyve sat down but it may be wishful thinking that they worked something out

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Whether or not Hall stays absolutely affects what we do. If he wants to be traded, then I would look into moving Palmieri and Vatanen for younger assets as well.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Whether or not Hall stays absolutely affects what we do. If he wants to be traded, then I would look into moving Palmieri and Vatanen for younger assets as well.
Why would we want to move them? The team needs veterans - we shouldnt be moving everyone in the locker room and then have the kids just left hanging

One of the biggest perks of this team right now is the locker room chemistry. Moving two of the more vocal veterans is how you dismantle that (after already moving Hall)

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Why would we want to move them? The team needs veterans - we shouldnt be moving everyone in the locker room and then have the kids just left hanging

One of the biggest perks of this team right now is the locker room chemistry. Moving two of the more vocal veterans is how you dismantle that (after already moving Hall)

Because if you are trading away Taylor Hall it will likely be for younger/future assets, so you might as well move two other older aged players while they still hold a ton of value. Palmieri especially.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Because if you are trading away Taylor Hall it will likely be for younger/future assets, so you might as well move two other older aged players while they still hold a ton of value. Palmieri especially.
I presume you mean it pushes our window out a bit further into the future, perhaps past Palmieri's peak window.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
The Devils are negotiating with Jesper Boqvist and his camp. A deal is to be expected in the near future.

From the sounds of it it looks like the Devils think Boqvist can play in the NHL next season.

If it for some reason turns out he's not ready he will go back to Sweden and play for Brynäs.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
From the last thread:

To NJD:
PK Subban

To Nashville:
Mike McLeod
Mirco Mueller
2019 34th overall pick

THEN

To NJD:
Mattias Ekholm

To Nashville:

that isn't a very strong offer and plenty of other teams would beat it IMO

Reactions: Bet the Over

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
From the last thread:

To NJD:
PK Subban

To Nashville:
Mike McLeod
Mirco Mueller
2019 34th overall pick

THEN

To NJD:
Mattias Ekholm

To Nashville:

even if it could be done...you want to give up all that for 3 years of ekholm? and keep part of subban’s cap hit as the cherry on top?

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I really want to sign Panarin. I know it’s unlikely but a top 6 of...
Panarin-Nico-Bratt
Hall-Hughes-Palms

Just sounds amazing. It would basically be 2 first lines and Hall could move down to help ease Hughes in like he did with Nico without worrying about Nico losing his most dynamic line mate as he’ll get to play with the bread man instead.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
if we were to give Panarin the $10+ million he is likely to command, that doesn't leave much cap space to upgrade on defense unfortunately.

I also think its like 90% he ends up with the Panthers

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Devils are negotiating with Jesper Boqvist and his camp. A deal is to be expected in the near future.

From the sounds of it it looks like the Devils think Boqvist can play in the NHL next season.

If it for some reason turns out he's not ready he will go back to Sweden and play for Brynäs.

At 21 years old I'd at least hope to see him in the AHL, getting used to the smaller rink and closer to the big team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad