Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Vatanen and our 2020 first for Trouba is what I would do, and is something I think makes sense for Winnipeg.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Not trading our 2020 1st when we are literally picking 1st overall in 2019. Trouba isn’t the player worth taking that risk on.

We should be betting on being a significantly better team next year, which means that the player being selected with that pick is likely never going to be better than Trouba, won’t be in the NHL until at least 2021 and won’t be in his prime until 2023.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'd definitely try to get away with dealing Vatanen+ for Trouba.

Vatanen's next deal is not going to be pretty.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
what if it's a protected pick

That makes the conversation more interesting.

We should be betting on being a significantly better team next year, which means that the player being selected with that pick is likely never going to be better than Trouba, won’t be in the NHL until at least 2021 and won’t be in his prime until 2023.

I’m hoping for this as well but last year we all said the same thing and we took a step back because of injuries that no one could see coming and other things. Quite a few on here wanted to trade our 2019 1st in trades for big names and look how that would’ve turned out. Teams that miss the playoffs let alone draft 1st overall shouldn’t be giving up top young talent for somebody else’s Prime age player looking for a huge payday.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
The Trouba trade would make a ton of sense for the Devils. He would immediately become the most physical NJ defenseman -- much-needed on a blueline which was routinely pushed around by teams with heavy-playing forwards. He would also become the most talented offensive defenseman on the Devils.

I watch a ton of Winnipeg Jets games, they are my second-favorite team. Trouba's offensive numbers were hindered by playing RD behind Byfuglien, whom I consider to be a top 5 D in the NHL. When Byfuglien went down to injury for long stretches of the 2018-19 campaign, Trouba got more PP time and offensive duties and absolutely shone -- hitting the 50-point plateau. He's just a tremendous player, and he's just entering his prime.

However, history has taught us that trading a first-round pick prior to the season is a huge mistake. Can the Devils pull off such a deal without a first-rounder? I think, unless another team (Detroit most likely) swooped in to outbid NJ, that the answer is yes.

I would open with a "quantity offer" and see what Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff had to say about it: perhaps Vatanen/Mueller/McLeod/Quenneville. It's important to note that Cheveldayoff is a very prudent trader and rarely loses deals. Conversely, he knows that Trouba's trade value is not going to get any higher once the season begins, and his chances of re-signing Trouba are slim.

But for those Devils fans who do not realize just how good Trouba is -- he would immediately become the best Devils defenseman, and therefore Ray Shero needs to at least make a concerted effort here. The other names of defensemen being bandied about -- Zaitsev, Brodin -- are guys who would not even be top 3 defensemen on the current Devils depth chart. Trouba would immediately be #1.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
If the prospect is anyone else than Smith, I'll do it. Then you try to trade Vatanen for LHD but if you cant, you have a strong right side with Trouba-Sevs-Vats for one year. And try to land LHD in free agency and via trade before and during the season.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
The Trouba trade would make a ton of sense for the Devils. He would immediately become the most physical NJ defenseman -- much-needed on a blueline which was routinely pushed around by teams with heavy-playing forwards. He would also become the most talented offensive defenseman on the Devils.

I watch a ton of Winnipeg Jets games, they are my second-favorite team. Trouba's offensive numbers were hindered by playing RD behind Byfuglien, whom I consider to be a top 5 D in the NHL. When Byfuglien went down to injury for long stretches of the 2018-19 campaign, Trouba got more PP time and offensive duties and absolutely shone -- hitting the 50-point plateau. He's just a tremendous player, and he's just entering his prime.

However, history has taught us that trading a first-round pick prior to the season is a huge mistake. Can the Devils pull off such a deal without a first-rounder? I think, unless another team (Detroit most likely) swooped in to outbid NJ, that the answer is yes.

I would open with a "quantity offer" and see what Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff had to say about it: perhaps Vatanen/Mueller/McLeod/Quenneville. It's important to note that Cheveldayoff is a very prudent trader and rarely loses deals. Conversely, he knows that Trouba's trade value is not going to get any higher once the season begins, and his chances of re-signing Trouba are slim.

But for those Devils fans who do not realize just how good Trouba is -- he would immediately become the best Devils defenseman, and therefore Ray Shero needs to at least make a concerted effort here. The other names of defensemen being bandied about -- Zaitsev, Brodin -- are guys who would not even be top 3 defensemen on the current Devils depth chart. Trouba would immediately be #1.

The issue teams have had trading first round picks a year or more out is that they weren’t getting the right player under the right circumstances in return.

Any deal for Trouba comes with an extension obviously. And if you consider a legit first pairing defenseman, who will be that for the next six years at least, in a typical draft there might be one or two defenseman who turn out to be that and maybe five players who end up having more value than that.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->