Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
@devilsbloodfirst

You're not alone man.

I believe Kevin Rooney is a perfect 13th forward, that can fill in as the 4C for 60+ games when injuries occur. I also think that with a tad more growth in his game, he can be a fixture in the bottom 6 for years to come. I'd bet he carves out a nice 4-6 year career as a bottom 6 NHLer.

Besides, Kevin Rooney is on a one-way contract so for those of you who expect/want him to be in the AHL, you better get used to the idea of him being on the 23 man opening night roster.
First of all, I think there’s a better chance of me dying and not living to see it (don’t worry! I’m perfectly healthy!) if Rooney has a 4-6 year NHL career.

Second of all, Seth Helgeson was on a one way contract for a year in which he played 9 games in the NHL (a career low for any of the 3 seasons he played at all in the NHL) and spent literally no more than that on the NHL roster? So let’s not act like having a one way deal means a guy is going to be in the NHL, because ownership is too cheap to pay some guy $700k to ride the buses in Binghamton.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If we want Kapanen we’re better off offer sheeting.

It'll be interesting if the Leafs decide at the Draft that they won't be able to fend off a Kapanen offer sheet a la Boston in 2015 with Dougie Hamilton. Boston ended up moving Hamilton for a 1st plus two 2nds rather than potentially lose him for a 1st/2nd/3rd in 2016 (2015 was expected to be deeper than 2016).

Carolina's been rumored to be interested and I wouldn't be shocked if they used some combination of picks (#28/#36/#37/#59) and/or a RHD.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
It'll be interesting if the Leafs decide at the Draft that they won't be able to fend off a Kapanen offer sheet a la Boston in 2015 with Dougie Hamilton. Boston ended up moving Hamilton for a 1st plus two 2nds rather than potentially lose him for a 1st/2nd/3rd in 2016 (2015 was expected to be deeper than 2016).

Carolina's been rumored to be interested and I wouldn't be shocked if they used some combination of picks (#28/#36/#37/#59) and/or a RHD.

Good thing Boston nailed those 3 picks in 2015...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Yeah, definitely was surprised with them picking Senyshyn and I liked Senyshyn for our pick......at #36 or #41.

Allegedly Arizona offered their 2016 1st rounder for Hamilton but Boston wanted their 2015 1st to take home town kid Noah Hanifin. That ended up being the Clayton Keller pick for the Coyotes, but who knows what Boston might've done with the pick.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A first round draft pick for Martin Jones is pretty much found money, so that's one pick they probably shouldn't feel down on for punting.

Actually, now that I think about it, the first round pick for Jones was for the 2016 draft and not the 2015 draft, so never mind.:laugh:

I think one of those picks was for Lucic in 2015, who came over with Martin Jones from the Kings.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s one thing to hindsight one pick for one player, but when you have three picks and three really good players got taken in the picks following yours?

Woof

But then again they might win a cup this year so what do we know?

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
He was the best.

1.gif

Ryan Carter was the last player I really felt, outside of prime David Clarkson had that kind of Pepe Lemieux, Mike Peluso vibe to him. A grinder that could actually play and contribute and just wasn't a goon a'la Krys Barch.

Wayne Simmonds could fill that quota but only on the short term. He's gonna decline rapidly. So much so that I don't even think it would be worth signing him. Even for a 1 to 2 year depth deal. If he could keep up the pace, the fans would love him though, ovbiously. Talk about a pest. We need some physicality and toughness on this team but there is a difference between being good physicality and bad. A good goon gives you Ryan Carter and Mike Peluso, a shitty goon gives you a bunch of LOLWHOs like the Krys Barchs and Tom Kostopoulos' of the world.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
How would you rank these UFA’s and what contract would you be comfortable giving each?

Dzingel
Eberle
Ferland
Nyqvist

I didn’t list Skinner since he’s close to a new contract and I don’t think we have a chance at Panarin

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So Trouba is officially on the block?

Don't really want slightly slower Severson for what it's going to cost.

Ryan Carter was the last player I really felt, outside of prime David Clarkson had that kind of Pepe Lemieux, Mike Peluso vibe to him. A grinder that could actually play and contribute and just wasn't a goon a'la Krys Barch.

Wayne Simmonds could fill that quota but only on the short term. He's gonna decline rapidly. So much so that I don't even think it would be worth signing him. Even for a 1 to 2 year depth deal. If he could keep up the pace, the fans would love him though, ovbiously. Talk about a pest. We need some physicality and toughness on this team but there is a difference between being good physicality and bad. A good goon gives you Ryan Carter and Mike Peluso, a ****ty goon gives you a bunch of LOLWHOs like the Krys Barchs and Tom Kostopoulos' of the world.

Simmonds is done. Completely toast. And I really like Simmonds. Do not want.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

Wayne Simmonds could fill that quota but only on the short term. He's gonna decline rapidly. So much so that I don't even think it would be worth signing him. Even for a 1 to 2 year depth deal. If he could keep up the pace, the fans would love him though, ovbiously. Talk about a pest. We need some physicality and toughness on this team but there is a difference between being good physicality and bad. A good goon gives you Ryan Carter and Mike Peluso, a ****ty goon gives you a bunch of LOLWHOs like the Krys Barchs and Tom Kostopoulos' of the world.

To be honest, I don’t think I ever once thought of Carter as a goon/enforcer/fighter type. He could throw them well enough, but how many fights did he really get into? He was just the perfect 4th liner. He brought about everything you want in a role player.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How would you rank these UFA’s and what contract would you be comfortable giving each?

Dzingel
Eberle
Ferland
Nyqvist

I didn’t list Skinner since he’s close to a new contract and I don’t think we have a chance at Panarin

1. Ferland, if it's for under 5 years at under $5 million per
2. No
3. No
4. No

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

Dzingel
Eberle
Ferland
Nyqvist

1. Nyquist - maximum 4 years. 5.5 aav
2. Eberle - maximum 3 years. 5 aav
3. Dzingel - maximum 4 years. 4 aav
4. Ferland - maximum 3 years. 3.5 aav

The more I think of it, the more I feel Erik Karlsson may be a real possibility for the Devils. His top two rumored destinations are New York Rangers and Tampa Bay. It would be VERY difficult for Tampa Bay to fit him in given their salary cap situation. And I just get the feel that Jeff Gorton won’t have much interest in offering Erik Karlsson a contract. He doesn’t fit their timeline at all, whereas he fits the Devils timeline pretty well.

What other teams, Tampa Bay and New York Rangers aside, does it make sense for Karlsson to go to? Both financially, team needs, player wants, etc.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
2. Eberle - maximum 4 years. 5 aav

The more I think of it, the more I feel Erik Karlsson may be a real possibility for the Devils. His top two rumored destinations are New York Rangers and Tampa Bay. It would be VERY difficult for Tampa Bay to fit him in given their salary cap situation. And I just get the feel that Jeff Gorton won’t have much interest in offering Erik Karlsson a contract. He doesn’t fit their timeline at all, whereas he fits the Devils timeline pretty well.

What other teams, Tampa Bay and New York Rangers aside, does it make sense for Karlsson to go to? Both financially, team needs, player wants, etc.
You live in fantasy land.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rooney is the new Steve Gionta

"he tries really hard" was always used to describe him as well
Since we are pulling guys out from mid air, how bout our boy Jacob Josefson.

In 325 games, including playoffs, Gio had 19 goals and 63 points.

In 321 games including playoffs, JJ had 20 and 65.

Incredible how similar their production was.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
2. Eberle - maximum 4 years. 5 aav

and then you woke up.

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Since we are pulling guys out from mid air, how bout our boy Jacob Josefson.

In 325 games, including playoffs, Gio had 19 goals and 63 points.

In 321 games including playoffs, JJ had 20 and 65.

Incredible how similar their production was.

they both stunk.

I thought JJ could be more, but he stunk

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad