Total Corsi% last 3 seasons: 51.03%

Games played 2018-19: 53
Games played 2017-18: 71
Games played 2016-17: 77
Games played 2015-16: 82
Games played 2014-15: 82
Total last 5 seasons: 365
---------------------------------------------------
I find it interesting that so many, if not all, New Jersey Devils fans are so willingly ready to extend Player X an 8 year, 10.5 million AAV contract offer that will begin when Player X is 29.

However, many of these same fans are completely against the idea to extend Player Y a 7 year, 10.5 million AAV contract offer that will begin when Player Y is 29. The main reason these fans don't want to sign that player, is because they believe that player is too risky of a signing due to injuries. Stating that injuries will force his game to decline rather quickly.

However for Player X, who has been injured MORE often the last 5 seasons, the last 3 seasons, and last season alone, you don't hear this injury history as cause for concern at all. I find it very amusing.

Player X is Taylor Hall. Player Y is Erik Karlsson.

Ray Shero, on July 23 when the NHL UFA interview period opens, pick up that phone and make a call to Newport Sports Management to do everything you can to get Erik Karlsson on this Devils team. It would instantly make the New Jersey Devils a Stanley Cup contender as early as next season.
One of them won a Hart trophy last year on a bubble team. The is coming off their worst season ever where they only had 25 ES points on the #2 seed in the west. Hall is still playing at an elite level and Karlsson's play has clearly suffered.

Are we supposed to be impressed that Karlsson plays through injuries and Hall takes time off to heal like a smart person? That one know their limits and another keeps pushing their body to the breaking point for no reason, to the point they're visibly exhausted in the playoffs?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not exactly the first time the Karlsson-Hall comparison has been made here with stats, so I knew what player X and player Y was going to be when the GP and contracts were posted.

And my answer is I'm also fine with bringing in Karlsson IF his groin injury isn't a chronic one and he'll have a clean bill of health going into next year. Since his GP has gone down each of the last three seasons that's at least a yellow flag though not a red one yet imo...still I understand the hesitation on him especially since his numbers were down this year. There's no real evidence Hall has a chronic anything, he actually missed more time earlier in his career in Edmonton than he has as a Devil. Plus we all know the deal here this year, he likely would have come back and sooner if the team was playing for anything.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
A big difference between the Hall and Karlsson situations is that Hall is already on this team and we will essentially only be adding 4-4.5 million to the payroll whereas with Karlsson we would be adding 10.5+ to the payroll. Another big difference is the long term affect of both injuries, Hall likely took enough precautions to prevent long term injury or nagging issues. Karlsson has not done that since his initial injury in 2017 and has been nagged with injuries in his legs since then. There is a much mire likely chance that Karlsson deteriorates based on that and he has been getting hurt all over his lower body as a result on continually playing with injuries.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
However for Player X, who has been injured MORE often the last 5 seasons, the last 3 seasons, and last season alone, you don't hear this injury history as cause for concern at all. I find it very amusing.

I think there has been a fair amount of concern with regard to Halls injury history. I know I use that as a counter point when people bring up Skinners concussion history as a reason to not sign him. Skinner has played more hockey than Hall the last five years. Injuries are always a concern and a guy who has been in your organization already will often get the benefit of the doubt compared to a UFAs injury history.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I still miss Ryan Carter lol

He was the best.

1.gif

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
A big difference between the Hall and Karlsson situations is that Hall is already on this team and we will essentially only be adding 4-4.5 million to the payroll whereas with Karlsson we would be adding 10.5+ to the payroll.

Yeah there's that too...Hall's already seen as a partially factored in cost, granted it doesn't actually work that way considering we're talking about a new deal but still.

Rooney is the new Steve Gionta

"he tries really hard" was always used to describe him as well

Gionta did manage to play 325 games in the NHL including playoffs, for all the ripping he got.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
How bad is Zaitsev truly? I know the contract blows but I don't watch him enough to know. I know he's not thought of highly in Toronto's circles at least.

5 years left at $4.5 mil per is a lot of term and salary to eat for a player that might not even be average.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
How bad is Zaitsev truly? I know the contract blows but I don't watch him enough to know. I know he's not thought of highly in Toronto's circles at least.

5 years left at $4.5 mil per is a lot of term and salary to eat for a player that might not even be average.

The impression I get was that he was so bad last year that almost any random player making league minimum would have been better. That he was actively hurting the team by playing.

Unless you think this past year was a fluke, I think you have to avoid him completely, even if his contract helps you complete a deal.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Any interest in Sam Bennett from Calgary? Maybe their upcoming cap crunch could make him available?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zaitsev is a bottom pairing DMan at BEST.

Honestly haven’t seen him play, just read about him. I know a lot are down on him but I’ve read others that have seen him and say they hate is a bit much, that he can be a solid #4. If he’s barely a 5/6 then it’s not worth it for 5 years.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

Toronto's biggest need is RHD at the moment.

If Zaitsev were worth anything, they'd happily keep him, as he directly fills that need. $4.5M for a top-4 RHD is a bargain, right?

That should tell you all you need to know. The guy is ****ing garbage, and the contract is asinine... easily one of the worst in the league.

Reactions: Oneiro

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Honestly haven’t seen him play, just read about him. I know a lot are down on him but I’ve read others that have seen him and say they hate is a bit much, that he can be a solid #4. If he’s barely a 5/6 then it’s not worth it for 5 years.

Are these people Leafs fans?

If so, they're shamelessly lying to artificially inflate his value.

Reactions: MichaelJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad