Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Unless I'm missing something, McLeod is an obviously better choice to be a fourth line center than Rooney. That was essentially his role in two years for Canada's U20 team, so he knows what it entails and should have the skill set to do it at the NHL level. It's another story if he has to be part of trade, but still this reminds me very much of the bellyaching over Lovejoy being on the roster in that it won't be the difference between the team being good or not good.

McLeod needs high quality reps in Binghamton more than anything. That much should be obvious from what we saw from him last year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I'm always hesitant when a 25-26 year old career AHL player has a decent stretch of games to count on them repeating it the following season. For every Coleman there are 9 guys who flame out and are never heard from again.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And his assists will likely go up playing with those guys.

So shots up, shooting % down, assists up ='s similar production.

Rooney's production in the AHL does not suggest this, nor do I really care much about assists from a player like Rooney who is basically only going to get them by chance.

The Devils can do a lot better and they should try to do so.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If you can’t tell the difference in upside between Anderson and a Rooney, I seriously don’t know what to tell you.

And, again, citing statistics from last year is a fool’s errand. They aren’t indicative of anything. We were playing 4th liners in the top-6, giving career AHLers regular NHL starts, etc. As a result, you have certain players with inflated statistics, because they played more NHL minutes per game than they have in their entire lives. On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have other players whose production tanked because of F-grade linemates.

We really shouldn’t be putting much stock in these numbers.
Check Rooney's linemates, he was a 4th liner playing 10:29 of 5v5 minutes per game. No pp, no playing in the top 6. His #'s were not inflated.

Edit: And if the question is upside, of course Joey Anderson has more upside. If the question is who was better last year, well it's pretty close. Certainly not onesided to Anderson.

But its not about Anderson vs Rooney anyways as one is a center and one is a wing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Rooney's production in the AHL does not suggest this, nor do I really care much about assists from a player like Rooney who is basically only going to get them by chance.

The Devils can do a lot better and they should try to do so.
And his college #s did not suggest his AHL #'s, but alas.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
And his college #s did not suggest his AHL #'s, but alas.

His AHL numbers aren't even good. Yeah, he's probably playing no power play, but lifetime he's at 28 goals and 47 assists in 187 games. That's probably AHL average at ES, maybe even below when you take into account shorthanded goals. He scored a couple goals in the NHL. He can skate. He should be a fill in player here. The Devils can do better than him and should do better than him on opening night. It's a failure of imagination when teams go with Rooney type players for 82 games.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I was at a Twitter event and Taylor Hall spoke for a bit, and I was shaking/sweating in the crowd. I was cheering, I gave him a standing o, yelled at him to resign, yelled Jack Hughes baby... The whole 9 yards.

It was amazing. I love him.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
I was at a Twitter event and Taylor Hall spoke for a bit, and I was shaking/sweating in the crowd. I was cheering, I gave him a standing o, yelled at him to resign, yelled Jack Hughes baby... The whole 9 yards.

It was amazing. I love him.

Im on this facebook thing and heard there was this event tonight...i assume this is what you are referring to? Taylor was there? Can you share anything? Us devils fans, understandably, are hurt with Parise bullshit with the "dont worry i'lll be back!"

Shocked Hall was at this, to be honest. Was this a big thing?

Camille the Eel

Re Rooney - and it’s not really about Rooney per se - but he was good as the first man in deep on a forecheck. So was Macleod. Both were fast and very physical in getting on top of the D in a chip and chase game.

I hope we can manage do that better next year. Because with Boyle, Travis, whatever personnel we had before we brought up the scrubs, we were actually much worse at it.

It would be nice to have a few more big, physical and fast guys to get two men deep in a hurry. To have at least one line that can do that well. It’s an element that’s been missing from our game.

See that third line of Boston’s - with Wagner and Kurali - they drove so much for them
this season. It’s one constant you can count on without needing all star skill talent. Just the right pieces for that game.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
McLeod was not very good last year, so i'm not sure that is accurate. Sexier name, but not necessarily a better choice.

And that is before we consider McLeod's development.

McLeod will not get significantly better playing in Bingo for another year, the same as Quenneville didn’t, the same as no one really does. He’s better at playing hockey than Rooney and has experience in that role.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Bring back Boyle and if for some reason we are going to miss the playoffs, just trade him for another 2nd round pick. :nod:

Reactions: RangerDoggo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm not on the "bring back Boyle" bandwagon but bring back Boyle before Rooney to man the fourth line.

I'd rather see like Anderson - Boyle - Bastian on the fourth line to start the year.
Rooney was more productive at 5v5 then Boyle was in his years here. But Boyle did get PP time. Now if you want to bring Boyle back to play on the PP, then maybe you have a point, but as a 4th liner Rooney was better.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
McLeod will not get significantly better playing in Bingo for another year, the same as Quenneville didn’t, the same as no one really does. He’s better at playing hockey than Rooney and has experience in that role.
Again, like with Anderson, if we are talking upside, McLeod has the clear edge, if we are asking who was better last year, I'd say Rooney has the clear edge.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
His AHL numbers aren't even good. Yeah, he's probably playing no power play, but lifetime he's at 28 goals and 47 assists in 187 games. That's probably AHL average at ES, maybe even below when you take into account shorthanded goals. He scored a couple goals in the NHL. He can skate. He should be a fill in player here. The Devils can do better than him and should do better than him on opening night. It's a failure of imagination when teams go with Rooney type players for 82 games.
Im not saying his AHL#'s were impressive, just that they were better then his college #'s would suggest they would be. His college #'s suggest he shouldn't even have gotten a chance in the AHL. Yet he scored goals at a OK rate in a couple seasons, and his assist #'s increased every year, last year his assist #'s were decent.

Now could he be a guy whose physical abilities somehow perform better at higher levels then they do at lower levels? Maybe. Is he a guy who has physical abilities, but didn't have the skills, but has been able to pick up skills at a later point in the development curve? Maybe.

But last year he was decent in his role.

Could they do better? Sure. Would I be upset if Rooney is the 13th fwd next year? Of course not. Is 4th line center a position I think they absolutely need to address? Not really.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Again, like with Anderson, if we are talking upside, McLeod has the clear edge, if we are asking who was better last year, I'd say Rooney has the clear edge.

He scored six goals in 41 games and has a track record of being an AHL lifer. McLeod is a recent first round pick that has a skill set that Rooney can’t sniff.

And in an offseason where we’re hoping that Ray makes some major moves, I can’t believe we’re arguing over whether Kevin Rooney should be on the roster.

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Meh. I think McLeod is one of the worst picks this staff has made.

If I had to project a future for him, based on brief viewings of him at three levels of hockey (Steelheads, Bingo and the NHL), I'd say he's Quenneville 2.0. Not stylistically just career-wise. Of course, I hope he's more than that.

I'd have to say all the things that were supposed to be strengths look at best average, whether it's the skating or the defensive prowess.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
He scored six goals in 41 games and has a track record of being an AHL lifer. McLeod is a recent first round pick that has a skill set that Rooney can’t sniff.

And in an offseason where we’re hoping that Ray makes some major moves, I can’t believe we’re arguing over whether Kevin Rooney should be on the roster.
Some fans are hoping for some major moves, and I would like a high end d-man, but I'm pretty OK with the fwd group.

As per McLeod vs Rooney, Rooney has played 2.5 seasons in the AHL, does that make him a lifer? Semantical argument there I guess.

As far as skill set, both have good size, skate well, are known for solid D, though I venture Rooney is more responsible currently, McLeod has better hands, and is a better play maker, for sure, but I'd say Rooney is currently the better goal scorer. I mean 6 goals in 41 NHL games might not be great but McLeod and his 6 goals in 55 AHL games? Well that is less impressive, And that includes more minutes for McLeod, plus PP time, which Rooney does not get.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Meh. I think McLeod is one of the worst picks this staff has made.

If I had to project a future for him, based on brief viewings of him at three levels of hockey (Steelheads, Bingo and the NHL), I'd say he's Quenneville 2.0. Not stylistically just career-wise. Of course, I hope he's more than that.

I'd have to say all the things that were supposed to be strengths look at best average, whether it's the skating or the defensive prowess.

Whether he was a bad pick is besides the point. He has a skill set and enough of a pedigree in junior and the AHL that strongly suggests that he can at least be a good or very good fourth line center. It’s better than nothing, and better than what Kevin Rooney will do over an extended period of time when the games hopefully matter.

Reactions: Oneiro

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Anderson 4-3-7 in 34 as a winger ='s good.
Rooney 6-4-10 in 41 as a center ='s get lost.
How about

Anderson - 20 year old first year pro

Rooney - 25 year old with no real history of producing offense at any level (34 point season in 71 games in the AHL, big whoop!) and no real ceiling.

Come on man, do you not see a difference here? This is asinine at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad