Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Trading him at training camp is the absolute worst time. I'd rather risk losing him for nothing than do that.
I dont find any sense in this. Acquiring nothing vs something, proactive vs reactive, etc etc...

Just because the Islanders are doing better this year doesnt mean they didnt take a massive hit to their core

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
An injury to Hall would be pretty bad.

Agree, what type of injury? How long is that injury? He has until 7/2020 to get healthy, then FA. You are willing to trade him if he isn't signed by September 2019? How about injury doesn't happen, he won't sign, so trade him before playoffs and get a decent player or draft pick or picks.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
It actually makes tons of sense.

If the Devils start out 25-5, he will have a completely different view of the future as opposed to if they start out 5-25.

If the young players + whoever is brought in give enough for Hall to see the light at the end of the tunnel reflecting off the Stanley Cup, then yeah he’s going to want to stay.

This place will explode, Hynes will be gone, and Shero will have about 25-30 games to right the ship.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And just what are those bad things that could happen?

Do you really believe this? By training camp?

well for one, he could suffer an injury. With his past history of injuries, that isn't out of the question.

What good does going into the season with an unsigned Hall do?

yes, I guess you can say you can trade him at the deadline. What if the Devils are on the playoff bubble? Do you still trade him? Do you risk it?

Reactions: mdj12784

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Agree, what type of injury? How long is that injury? He has until 7/2020 to get healthy, then FA. You are willing to trade him if he isn't signed by September 2019? How about injury doesn't happen, he won't sign, so trade him before playoffs and get a decent player or draft pick or picks.
I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying what you risk playing him until the deadline.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
What if NJ is firmly in playoff position at the TDL and Hall says no to extension? Are you ok with a self rental and he walks in UFA? That’s not a very far fetched scenario. Would Shero be willing to trade him at that point and torpedo the season and maybe send a negative message of sorts to the young players? My preference would be to avoid that moment if possible.

That’s not really a likely scenario since the main perceived hangup on Hall signing is the team doing stuff to improve. Being comfortably in the playoffs will mean that’s clearly happened. If that happened and Hall still doesn’t resign then you know he’s not going to - and if he wasn’t interested in resigning here period then he’d have been moved in the offseason.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
That’s not really a likely scenario since the main perceived hangup on Hall signing is the team doing stuff to improve. Being comfortably in the playoffs will mean that’s clearly happened. If that happened and Hall still doesn’t resign then you know he’s not going to - and if he wasn’t interested in resigning here period then he’d have been moved in the offseason.
Do you think it is just improvement or is he looking for a real chance to compete for the cup?

If I am a 28 year old coming off a season where I missed more than half of the games my timetable to win would be a real important factor in my mind...Just "improving" doesn't really do much for real chance to compete for a championship and his time is ticking.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Do you think it is just improvement or is he looking for a real chance to compete for the cup?

If I am a 28 year old coming off a season where I missed more than half of the games my timetable to win would be a real important factor in my mind...Just "improving" doesn't really do much for real chance to compete for a championship and his time is ticking.

He's 27

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Maybe. I just think that if the team is in playoff position at the TDL and Hall is still unsigned you have a very difficult decision to make. Maybe the offers for Hall are meh at which point you keep him hope the team wins a round or two and then you have one last shot to extend him before UFA but at that point why would he sign? The idea of moving him during the summer if nothing can be worked out with an extension makes more sense to me. I can understand the be patient approach with Hall but it wouldn’t be my choice.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
well for one, he could suffer an injury. With his past history of injuries, that isn't out of the question.

What good does going into the season with an unsigned Hall do?

yes, I guess you can say you can trade him at the deadline. What if the Devils are on the playoff bubble? Do you still trade him? Do you risk it?

The Devils won't be on the bubble for the 2019/2020 playoffs. Just how bad is this injury you expect him to have? How many games did he play in 2017/2018? An unsigned Hall next year will do his best for the money and Cup chance with another team.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
The Devils won't be on the bubble for the 2019/2020 playoffs. Just how bad is this injury you expect him to have? How many games did he play in 2017/2018? An unsigned Hall next year will do his best for the money and Cup chance with another team.

Like I said, if Hall is healthy, Hughes/Ty Smith are as advertised, and we get at least average goaltending....we will definitely at least be on the playoff bubble

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'd rather risk getting nothing than trade Hall before training camp, the point at which his value is at the absolute lowest. If he's not amenable at all to an extension he should be moved before the draft this year.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
That should absolutely be the case. If he hasn’t signed a new contract a week before training camp he should definitely be traded before camp starts. Not even a question.

I wouldn't create any artificial deadlines. Refusing to trade him to an Eastern Conference team contributed, but the training camp deadline resulted in Ottawa dealing Karlsson for pretty much nothing.

Let's also keep in mind that the team might actually be a competitor next season when it's all said and done, even if Hall doesn't have new contract.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Like I said, if Hall is healthy, Hughes/Ty Smith is as advertised, and we get at least average goaltending....we will definitely at least be on the playoff bubble

Your remark that I replied to was about Hall being traded. Now you have switched to ifs about whatever, including Hall. I did state that the Devils won't be in a bubble for the 2019/2020 playoffs without any "ifs".

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Your remark that I replied to was about Hall being traded. Now you have switched to ifs about whatever, including Hall. I did state that the Devils won't be in a bubble for the 2019/2020 playoffs without any "ifs".

so basically its your contention that you know what the Devils are going to do this summer? Before the draft, free agency, and any moves are even allowed to be made? You know they'll miss the playoffs by 10+ points?

thats definitely a take.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad