Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Do you think it is just improvement or is he looking for a real chance to compete for the cup?

If I am a 28 year old coming off a season where I missed more than half of the games my timetable to win would be a real important factor in my mind...Just "improving" doesn't really do much for real chance to compete for a championship and his time is ticking.
A "real chance to compete" is such a hard thing to gauge though. Every division winner was knocked out in the first round, while both #8 seeds are still alive.

Plus we stunk this year due in large part to his injury. Any team that signs him to a big contract will feel the sting of losing him for 50 games.

I understand he wants to win, but the "we need more talent" line after him missing 50 games does not sit well with me.

Reactions: mdj12784

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That should absolutely be the case. If he hasn’t signed a new contract a week before training camp he should definitely be traded before camp starts. Not even a question.

i think that’s a little extreme. this will be an extremely busy summer for shero, an extension can be done during the season if needed. i would say christmas break would be the line in the sand

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
so basically it's your contention that you know what the Devils are going to do this summer? Before the draft, free agency, and any moves are even allowed to be made? Do you know they'll miss the playoffs by 10+ points?

that's definitely a take.

You certainly are confusing.

I NEVER said anything about what the Devils are going to do this summer.

I NEVER said anything about the Devils missing the playoffs by +10 points.

I will repeat what I said: the Devils won't be in the bubble at the upcoming playoffs. Now I say that Devils won't make the upcoming playoffs. That's my opinion.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
*Fan reads into comments about adding talent to team for months on end*

*Fan completely disregards comments about not chasing the wrong situation*

I don't know how anyone can look at the age of previous regular contenders (WAS, PIT, CHI, SJ, NAS, BOS), see what happened in the first round this year and think there's certainty about contention anywhere else other than maybe TB and DAL.

Things are wide open now. Shero has a great opportunity these next few years. Hall is no idiot.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I will repeat what I said: the Devils won't be in the bubble at the upcoming playoffs. Now I say that Devils won't make the upcoming playoffs. That's my opinion.

so if they won't even be on the playoff bubble (according to you), you can assume they miss by a decent margin, hence why I said ~10 points.

I repeat- how can you make predictions in April when we don't even know what the damn roster is going to look like yet?

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
The way I see it, trading Hall at the start of the year if he doesn't want to ink an new deal before the start of training camp, would get us a very solid return because...

1- He's currently on a 6M$ cap hit for next year and that is easily fitted in today's cap, especially knowing that we can take on a bad contract to make it work when talking about legit contenders who will already be close to the ceiling when the trade will take place.

2- The team acquiring him will have a full season of service instead of just 2 months.

There's several teams who bombed during the playoffs and are looking to add some much needed offense to their lineup like the Jets, Flames and the Preds. The good thing about those teams is that they all have a surplus of excellent blueliners.

Reactions: My3Sons

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
so if they won't even be on the playoff bubble (according to you), you can assume they miss by a decent margin, hence why I said ~10 points.

I repeat- how can you make predictions in April when we don't even know what the damn roster is going to look like yet?

I can make a prediction in April because it is my opinion in April.

You certainly understand that, don't you?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
lol I'm so glad I don't offer predictions on what moves the organization will make.

I'll stick to hot takes and bad puns.

Just way too many options out there to get into the nitty gritty of offseason acquisitions.

Even if we want to say we have a "good" chance at a guy like Jeff Skinner, we are most likely not getting Jeff Skinner.

Reactions: New Jersey

NJDevilsFan21

Trade Everyone!!
Nov 10, 2006
Kind of tough with Hall. Only because I see the return of two 1st round picks plus some being pretty beneficial for us long term. Hall and Palms are 5+ years older than Nico, Hughes, Zacha, Smith... aka the new core. It creates this potential scenario where by the time the new core has matured, the old one will he on it's way out. I only see it worth keeping Hall if we get some help this summer: Panarin, EK, Dzingel, Skinner, etc... who ever we can fit.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I can make a prediction in April because it is my opinion in April.

You certainly understand that, don't you?

You’re coming across as a pouty child.

Will you acknowledge that it is entirely reasonable to expect (potentially drastic) improvements this summer?

Please don’t cite last summer in your answer. The circumstances are nowhere near analogous.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i said something similar last year and was raked over the coals for it- but that was after our summer of inactivity. drafting hughes alone should lead to an improvement, and shero has basically said its time to take the money clip out of his fanny pack this summer.

you’re more than welcome to your opinion, but you may want to wait and see what happens before making any predictions. then again, you’re in your 80’s, and by god if i ever live that long i’ll have whatever opinion i want, and everyone else can go f*** themselves. so actually, do whatever you want to do man, it’s all good

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Except you pretty much are assuming they'll do nothing this summer and miss by ten points by saying they won't be on the bubble. If you think they make a ton of moves and still miss the playoffs by a lot then you think Shero's an inept GM.

Do you think it is just improvement or is he looking for a real chance to compete for the cup?

If I am a 28 year old coming off a season where I missed more than half of the games my timetable to win would be a real important factor in my mind...Just "improving" doesn't really do much for real chance to compete for a championship and his time is ticking.

So they're supposed to be a Cup contender by next year? If that's Hall's standard he's almost certainly as good as gone. There has to be at least progress made toward that end...that's clear. But you likely aren't making the leap from 70 points to 105 in one offseason.

Reactions: NjDevsRR

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Would you let go of Hall at the draft if it meant getting a better deal in a trade?

That's something I've been wrestling with, you have to think he'd have given management some indication of what he's going to do at that point.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The problem with trading Hall at the draft is you're not even giving yourself a chance to make improvements at the draft or in FA first before you cash out. Nor are you giving him a chance to re-sign. The only way he gets traded at the draft is if he tells Shero emphatically he wants out.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
You’re coming across as a pouty child.

Will you acknowledge that it is entirely reasonable to expect (potentially drastic) improvements this summer?

Please don’t cite last summer in your answer. The circumstances are nowhere near analogous.

I will acknowledge that it is possible, but as of now, my opinion is no. One in out. Defense vs offense. Coaching. Injuries. Regression. Improvement. Yeah, it is possible, but today I don't think so.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So they're supposed to be a Cup contender by next year? If that's Hall's standard he's almost certainly as good as gone. There has to be at least progress made toward that end...that's clear. But you likely aren't making the leap from 70 points to 105 in one offseason.

Drafting high a few years and adding some additional pieces is no guarantee of future success. And even if the right pieces are in place it still takes time to develop.

My point is that the Devils timetable might not coincide with Hall's.

Does Hall want to wait until he's 30/31 to be on a possible contender? I suppose if he really likes the direction of the team it's possible? But on the other hand, I can't help but think that he is coming from Edmonton where they drafted tons of talent and never saw that translate to success.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Drafting high a few years and adding some additional pieces is no guarantee of future success. And even if the right pieces are in place it still takes time to develop.

Does Hall want to wait until he's 30/31 to be on a possible contender? I suppose if he really likes the direction of the team it's possible? But on the other hand, I can't help but think that he is coming from Edmonton where they drafted tons of talent and never saw that translate to success.
I think this is kind of what I was getting at and you just explained it much better.

Hear me out on this hypothetical:
Shero offers Taylor Hall to Colorado for something centered around the 4th overall pick (I'm not talking specifics of the deal but something along those lines). Works for Hall, he plays with a team that already has a pretty set core and could really use some scoring depth. The Devils could pick a guy like Byram who will be much closer in age to the core of the Devils (Hischier, Bratt, Hughes, 4th overall).

Obviously the ideal scenario is he signs, but we should be realistic about the team's timeline and his goals.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
i said something similar last year and was raked over the coals for it- but that was after our summer of inactivity. drafting hughes alone should lead to an improvement, and shero has basically said its time to take the money clip out of his fanny pack this summer.

you’re more than welcome to your opinion, but you may want to wait and see what happens before making any predictions. then again, you’re in your 80’s, and by god if i ever live that long i’ll have whatever opinion i want, and everyone else can go **** themselves. so actually, do whatever you want to do man, it’s all good

Thank you, the Devils have not shown me a consistent improvement during the rebuild. Forget making the playoffs. They have had lots of money before. If they want to rebuild slowly with youth great but keep improving the youth. BTW, that strategy doesn't need money. So money, that just words, talk to keep the fan base. If they break their plan and start buying FAs that might make a difference depending on the FAs. But then the rebuild plan is broken. They may select Hughes and lose Hall. Lots of ifs with zero history. So as of today, they aren't making next years playoffs. Thanks for your remarks about age, don't experience and history and yeah, my opinion, today.

Amazing how many fall into the trap of getting Hughes and its Cup time.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
But it is my opinion as of today. You can have your, I will respect it.

I would choose to rather not have an incomplete opinion.

I'm from Milwaukee so, naturally, I'll use the Bucks as an example. Find me ONE person, ONE, that would've thought they'd have the best record in the NBA this season LAST April. Simply put...you can't.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Except you pretty much are assuming they'll do nothing this summer and miss by ten points by saying they won't be on the bubble. If you think they make a ton of moves and still miss the playoffs by a lot then you think Shero's an inept GM.

Thank you, I don't have a high rating on Shero based on his history of this rebuild to date. Inept may be too strong.

I absolutely agree it is wrong to expect 70 to 105 this season if they were to make something happen that they make the playoffs they aren't going far this coming year.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012

The thing is that if he wants to get paid the way he should, there aren't that many teams out there that have the cap space for him that fit the time table you're speaking of, and that number could be even lower after free agency works itself out this summer.

Every logical sign points to him signing an extension on July 1 or shortly after that.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I would choose to rather not have an incomplete opinion.

I'm from Milwaukee so, naturally, I'll use the Bucks as an example. Find me ONE person, ONE, that would've thought they'd have the best record in the NBA this season LAST April. Simply put...you can't.

Basketball isn't the same as hockey. In basketball one guy can make a winner. Usually that guy is experienced. The Devils strategy is go young, that means little experience. The Devils have more holes than the Bucks did.

I am a strong Celtics fan so good luck to you in this coming series. Go Celtics.

Last season this time I had the same opinion that the Devils wouldn't make the playoff. I will say that anything is possible but as of now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad