Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Basketball isn't the same as hockey. In basketball one guy can make a winner. Usually that guy is experienced. The Devils strategy is go young, that means little experience. The Devils have more holes than the Bucks did.

I am a strong Celtics fan so good luck to you in this coming series. Go Celtics.

Last season this time I had the same opinion that the Devils wouldn't make the playoff. I will say that anything is possible but as of now.

Except one man didn't change a thing with that team. We surrounded Giannis with the right pieces and the right coach and took that next step. There's no reason to think that Shero, surrounding Hall with Hughes, Smith and more inevitable pieces this offseason, can't make them playoff contenders immediately. Does that mean Cup contenders? No. It means that they'll be competing for the dance.

Unless you're a Knicks fan, nobody can predict what their team will do next year. Hell, even the Browns are on the up and up.

And, the Bucks are gonna roll the C's, my man. Enjoy that 5 game series L!

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Except one man didn't change a thing with that team. We surrounded Giannis with the right pieces and the right coach and took that next step. There's no reason to think that Shero, surrounding Hall with Hughes, Smith and more inevitable pieces this offseason, can't make them playoff contenders immediately. Does that mean Cup contenders? No. It means that they'll be competing for the dance.

Unless you're a Knicks fan, nobody can predict what their team will do next year. Hell, even the Browns are on the up and up.

It is not nearly so easy in hockey as it is in basketball.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
It is not nearly so easy in hockey as it is in basketball.

That's not the point lol. It's a point about projection before an offseason. Plus, teams overachieve, teams regress. Anyone talking definitively in April is off their rocker.

Oh, and it's not "easy" in basketball. It's arguably the hardest sport to take that next step as a franchise. There's only been like 12 teams to win a title in the last 30+ years.

Yep. 12 teams since 1980 have won a NBA title. So damn near 40 years. Compare that to 17 from the NHL. So I'd say it is indeed "easier" in hockey.

Last edited:

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Yup, experience pieces, and congrats on a great improvement. We agree not next season for the Devils to win the cup. You have more faith that Shero can pull off a major improvement other than Hughes, and retain Hall. I don't as of now.

I hear you with your 5 an out for the Celtics however I think it is a 7 game series with the Celtics moving on.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
That's not the point lol. It's a point about projection before an offseason. Plus, teams overachieve, teams regress. Anyone talking definitively in April is off their rocker.

Oh, and it's not "easy" in basketball. It's arguably the hardest sport to take that next step as a franchise. There's only been like 12 teams to win a title in the last 30+ years.

Yep. 12 teams since 1980 have won a NBA title. So damn near 40 years.

I guess I am off my Rocker for having an opinion that disagrees with yours.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I guess I am off my Rocker for having an opinion that disagrees with yours.

If that's your takeaway then I'll excuse your ignorance because it has nothing to do with my opinion on next season. It's simply that no one in their right mind can project next season definitively.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Yup, experience pieces, and congrats on a great improvement. We agree not next season for the Devils to win the cup. You have more faith that Shero can pull off a major improvement other than Hughes, and retain Hall. I don't as of now.

I hear you with your 5 an out for the Celtics however I think it is a 7 game series with the Celtics moving on.

You sound like Bucks fans that didn't trust Jon Horst. Now? Let's just say, they're singing a different tune in Milwaukee.

If you want to knock Shero for his inability to fire his coaches, I'll listen and agree to an extent. Questioning his desire to improve and making appropriate moves? Yeah, he's tried. There's no question he's tried. 1) It takes two to tango and 2) not every move (MarJo) works out how you'd expect it to. 3) Be patient. We could be in FAR worse hands than Ray Shero.

Reactions: mdj12784

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
if they were to make something happen that they make the playoffs they aren't going far this coming year.

it would probably be useful if we knew everyone’s definition of ‘success’ because that’s a pretty ambiguous word. for now, my definition of success will be us making the playoffs consistently- no more misses. we may miss next year, but the year after we should start punching our ticket on the regular. i think hall has a similar definition of success. if he likes the team (check) if he likes the area (check) and he knows that we’ll have a chance to win the cup every year (as we’ve seen, anything can happen once you’re in the playoffs) then i think he stays. and i don’t think those timelines are incompatible

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I picture the scene in Ghostbusters after they trap Slimer and the hotel manager is upset with the bill and Pete Venkman responds: “that’s ok we can put him right back in there” except here it’s Shero holding a trap with David Conte, the 2015 roster and Connor Chatham in it saying the same thing to some Devils fans.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
If that's your takeaway then I'll excuse your ignorance because it has nothing to do with my opinion on next season. It's simply that no one in their right mind can project next season definitively.

I did say today and never have I used the word, definitively. As for you excusing my ignorance that's not necessary. If you disagree with me it is your opinion. Sorry for correcting you.

Go Celtics

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
So Maine Fan is an old timer? Aight, that changes how I read his posts.

Still disagree with him, but in a different way. :DD

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think this is kind of what I was getting at and you just explained it much better.

Hear me out on this hypothetical:
Shero offers Taylor Hall to Colorado for something centered around the 4th overall pick (I'm not talking specifics of the deal but something along those lines). Works for Hall, he plays with a team that already has a pretty set core and could really use some scoring depth. The Devils could pick a guy like Byram who will be much closer in age to the core of the Devils (Hischier, Bratt, Hughes, 4th overall).

Obviously the ideal scenario is he signs, but we should be realistic about the team's timeline and his goals.

So what are the Devils adding to this to get the 4th overall pick? People keep saying this like it's realistic - it is very, very unlikely that such a deal could be worked out. The 4th overall pick is so much more valuable than a year of Taylor Hall. Trading Hall and Zacha and Boqvist (or something of equal worth to Boqvist - the Devils don't really have that on D in their system otherwise I'd say that) for that pick, maybe that flies, but I doubt that too.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Does anyone think wearing a C might matter to Hall? After Greene is done he seems like the most likely candidate in my eyes only other option is Nico if they feel like he'd make a good C

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I did say today and never have I used the word, definitively. As for you excusing my ignorance that's not necessary. If you disagree with me it is your opinion. Sorry for correcting you.

Go Celtics

Whatever you say, hoss. I disagree with your opinion because it's an incomplete one. It has nothing to do with my opinion. And if you say me believing it's an incomplete opinion is an opinion then I'll have to refer you to the dictionary under what an opinion is. Because an opinion in April about the following season being an incomplete one is indeed a FACT not an opinion.

Enjoy your day.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
You’re not correcting anyone.

Your opinion is the one that flies in the face of facts and reality, not ours.

I am not trying to correct anyone.

As for the facts/reality, review last season before the injuries. Review the coaching early last season.

Remember my opinion is based on what I have seen and read and it is my opinion as of today. I don't care if someone else has a different opinion, I will respect their opinion.

Maine Fan

Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Whatever you say, hoss. I disagree with your opinion because it's an incomplete one. It has nothing to do with my opinion. And if you say me believing it's an incomplete opinion is an opinion then I'll have to refer you to the dictionary under what an opinion is. Because an opinion in April about the following season being an incomplete one is indeed a FACT not an opinion.

Enjoy your day.

WOW, what did you say? But it's OK with me.

Enjoy your day as well, and the education by the Celtics on Sunday.
I will think about how bad you feel after the Buck's loss on Sunday.

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Here is the current hierarchy to captaincy (if Hall extends)

Hall
Palmieri
Hischier

Next Era:

Hischier
Hughes
Smith :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad