Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I see Shero adding a defenseman and a forward this off-season

If that defenseman is a middle-pair guy for us then I think Shero struckout. IMO needs to be a top-2 guy or sit and wait for that oppourtunity. Severson, Butcher, and Vatanen all are 2nd pair guys with Smith likely to become one in the next few years.

As for forward, shouldnt be hard to acquire a top-6 winger via FA. Dont want to spend assets on a forward with how large the UFA crop is and we dont need a high-end talent IMO (if were keeping Hall). Hall, Hischier, Hughes are all highly elite talents. Save assets for an elite player on defense (unless you can sign Panarin but IDK how I feel about spending another 10m or so on another forward)

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I would not have a problem with Zacha on the “4th line” since he will probably be on the PK and possibly the PP too. It is so amazing that we don’t have to pencil him in to be in the top 6 next year thanks to the lottery win considering he has never even cracked 25 points.

If the only move at forward we made was Eberle, I’d be content. That’s a quality forward core. You have to figure one of Boqvist, Anderson, Bastian, or McLeod will pan out and make some contributions next year too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

If that defenseman is a middle-pair guy for us then I think Shero struckout. IMO needs to be a top-2 guy or sit and wait for that oppourtunity. Severson, Butcher, and Vatanen all are 2nd pair guys with Smith likely to become one in the next few years.

As for forward, shouldnt be hard to acquire a top-6 winger via FA. Dont want to spend assets on a forward with how large the UFA crop is and we dont need a high-end talent IMO (if were keeping Hall). Hall, Hischier, Hughes are all highly elite talents. Save assets for an elite player on defense (unless you can sign Panarin but IDK how I feel about spending another 10m or so on another forward)

The team has plenty of middle six type guys and a few second pair guys as you have alluded to. Outside of a true top six winger preferably a true RW1 and outside of a pair of true first pair defenders it’s hard to see a needle moving upgrade as opposed to an incremental one. I hope Hall can just commit or beg off before the draft. I tend to agree with Harris on avoiding short cuts to the middle.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The team has plenty of middle six type guys and a few second pair guys as you have alluded to. Outside of a true top six winger preferably a true RW1 and outside of a pair of true first pair defenders it’s hard to see a needle moving upgrade as opposed to an incremental one. I hope Hall can just commit or beg off before the draft. I tend to agree with Harris on avoiding short cuts to the middle.
To be honest we could end up very good quickly if the right moves are made

Hughes' ELC will be a huge factor after this season in how we spend. If the team shows theyve got it and make the playoffs next year after whatever additions we make - we could see Shero bulk up for a push on Hughes' ELC while still maintaining for the future

Reactions: Bet the Over

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Since Hall has gone public about his intentions of signing with NJ only if we add talent, I'd like to see him sign a fairly reasonable contract. If winning is his main goal, then by not getting every dollar he can, he will help the team attain that talent in an effort to win.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ha, Triple H.

Reactions: OmNomNom

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Since Hall has gone public about his intentions of signing with NJ only if we add talent, I'd like to see him sign a fairly reasonable contract. If winning is his main goal, then not getting every dollar he can will help the team attain that talent in an effort to win.

Indeed. If he is true to his words I think he might take a slight discount. He's probably worth 11 mil+ / yr but maybe he'll sign for less.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I would not have a problem with Zacha on the “4th line” since he will probably be on the PK and possibly the PP too. It is so amazing that we don’t have to pencil him in to be in the top 6 next year thanks to the lottery win considering he has never even cracked 25 points.

If the only move at forward we made was Eberle, I’d be content. That’s a quality forward core. You have to figure one of Boqvist, Anderson, Bastian, or McLeod will pan out and make some contributions next year too.
If Zacha plays in the top-9 next year he breaks 40+

Thats my prediction

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Well...

My question is if he DOES score... say 45, is that adequate for a 2nd line wing? In my book, that's very borderline.
It would depend on the context. If he is playing without any PP time than that is good production, but if he is getting PP time that is probably extremely average.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Personally unless Zacha shows a substantial improvement in camp, I'd be perfectly fine with running Hishier-Hughes-Zajac-Zacha as our 4 centers. If he does show that he has taken a significant leap offensively, I consider moving him to the wing on one of the top 3 lines.

Zajac and Coleman together seems obvious as a tandem and then I'd do Wood and Zacha on the 4th line. This can set us up to have 4 lines that can score. I'd even say that we should consider giving Zajac a minute or a minute and a half less a game given his age and the fact that we will have some center depth next year.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well...

My question is if he DOES score... say 45, is that adequate for a 2nd line wing? In my book, that's very borderline.
Use Couturier’s production line in his first five years as a comparable

45 next year, as you said, would be great for Zacha even if it was with decent PP time. Keep in mind this would be next year, nobody is saying 45 is good production for the second line say 2-3 years from now

Reactions: My3Sons

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

Those top pairing defenseman, which I wholeheartedly agree is priority number 1, are awfully hard to find though. I really wish we could've gotten Muzzin.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Personally unless Zacha shows a substantial improvement in camp, I'd be perfectly fine with running Hishier-Hughes-Zajac-Zacha as our 4 centers. If he does show that he has taken a significant leap offensively, I consider moving him to the wing on one of the top 3 lines.

Zajac and Coleman together seems obvious as a tandem and then I'd do Wood and Zacha on the 4th line. This can set us up to have 4 lines that can score. I'd even say that we should consider giving Zajac a minute or a minute and a half less a game given his age and the fact that we will have some center depth next year.
I think the addition of Hughes automatically pushes Zacha to wing, and most are excited about that.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I think the addition of Hughes automatically pushes Zacha to wing, and most are excited about that.
I would not be so sure of that. If Shero is going to add up front, it is likely to be wingers. There should be added competition I would think. Zacha's shooting volume does not exactly scream scoring winger.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Use Couturier’s production line in his first five years as a comparable

45 next year, as you said, would be great for Zacha even if it was with decent PP time. Keep in mind this would be next year, nobody is saying 45 is good production for the second line say 2-3 years from now
Ok, let me rephrase that. Would you want a 45 point player on your 2nd line?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I'm curios to see how it plays out, but if they do happen to be on the same line I think Zacha will handle many of the center duties, at least early on in the process.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I would not be so sure of that. If Shero is going to add up front, it is likely to be wingers. There should be added competition I would think. Zacha's shooting volume does not exactly scream scoring winger.
This is true, his game looks very much like a center. But as I've said I think he will handle many of the center duties if he does end up as Hughes "winger".

Winds Hockey

Apr 7, 2019
If Zacha plays in the top-9 next year he breaks 40+

Thats my prediction

If he gets the opportunities and ice he was getting at the end of this season, I think he'll hit 50 points. He's not going to get that if we add someone to our top six, though. If we don't trade for a top winger, or sign one, I'm sure we'll try a Zacha - Hughes - Palmieri line, and I think it could be very, very good.

Really, I think if Hall is not ready to commit by now (I'm sure he is), then we should hold the door open for him. This was a great situation for him before we won Jack. Now? I don't know what he could imagine to be a better situation. If he's serious about playing for a consistent playoff team he won't want us to sign middling players just because they are his buddies and/or they used to play on the same team as he did, and he won't want win-right-now moves either. I think we can still afford to spend some time allowing guys like Zacha to continue on their development curve. We have something good going here, and it's going to be worth the wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad