Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Well don't put words in his mouth and attribute that exact sentiment to him. He certainly strongly implied he'd like to see upgrades but there's a difference between that and tying signing long-term to it.
Is there a difference though?

I mean if he has no other quarrels with NJ and the organization and is continually making comments about how the team needs talent, after praising everything else.... What other reason would he not be signing long-term for?

Not to sound rude but I think some folks are trying too hard to make this seem like an extremely complicated choice for Hall. I do think its black and white in the fact that we either upgrade enough for his liking or we dont, thats it. When a player has NEVER said one bad thing but continually harps on needing more talent (all the way back to 2017-18's start) - that book has written itself IMO.

Reactions: mdj12784

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Landing Hughes was a massive boon to Shero. Add a high volume shooter on the wing and Hall signs in July. If not, we'll get something we need one way or another in trade.

While Hall is a priority, he also knows Shero is a dispassionate pro and will shop him heavily in the offseason if he drags his feet. After Hall's first year here Ray basically asked him if he wanted to be traded. He got a commitment from Hall to play to his potential and lo and behold, the guy wins MVP.

Hall has said Hynes knows just what to say to him to get his best and we already know Shero did that after Hall's first year here so...I'm not worried. It will all work out one way or another.
Ive taken this approach as well. Itd f***ing suck balls to lose Hall but we'd likely get a decent package as well as still be building a very strong core.

Although replacing Hall will be a doozy, if need be

Reactions: mdj12784 and mtnet

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
We are on Karlsson's no trade list? As in a team he will or will not go to?

And where is this older rumor about Karlsson I can read on, I never heard of that!

The day he was traded, Dreger tweeted that the Devils were trying to get involved and not as a team to take on salary.

I’m just speculating that we might have been on his no trade list and that would be enough to tell Ray that it isn’t worth going after him in free agency if he gets there.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
The day he was traded, Dreger tweeted that the Devils were trying to get involved and not as a team to take on salary.

I’m just speculating that we might have been on his no trade list and that would be enough to tell Ray that it isn’t worth going after him in free agency if he gets there.
senators didn't want to trade him to an eastern conference team. so maybe the cost was much higher for the devils than the sharks. if shero was getting involved for Dreger to mention then I would think he didn't have NJ on his no trade list.
"Speaking of Hoffman, the Senators learned from that experience with Sharks GM Doug Wilson. As Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston notes, Ottawa threw in what may as well be a “Mike Hoffman Clause”. After San Jose traded for Hoffman only to trade him hours later to one of the Senators’ division rivals, GM Pierre Dorion added a conditional future first-round pick if Karlsson is traded back to the Eastern Conference this season. "
More On Erik Karlsson Trade: Pick Conditions, Extension, Colorado

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
How much more would we need to give up to get Nylander if we take on 1 yr of Marleau?
Im curious what folks see in Nylander

Babcock wasnt even playing him in the top-6 all season because he was TERRIBLE last year. Brian Boyle started cancer treatments and scored more in his return.

Nylander cashed in because he knew he had to after scoring 60+. We have an amazing cap situation, please dont let us ruin it for some idea of finding hidden treasure in a 7m+ cap hit

Reactions: nugg

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Saying the team needs more talent isn't exactly a revelation or a demand. I'm pretty sure Ray Shero's job is to make the team better, and he's going to do that. Just because it's not happening over night or on some fans personal timeline doesn't mean it's not happening at all.

Taylor Hall is also not stupid. I don't think he's sitting there going "get me this guy here and that guy there or I'm out of here". I think he simply wants to know that there's a plan in place, especially after the clusterf*** that Edmonton was.

Getting Hughes could be absolutely huge in that regard as we're pretty much set up the middle for a while and Shero can focus on other needs now. Just imagine how different our future looks if we're pinning our hopes for a #2 center on Zacha instead of having Hughes and Nico holding down the top 2 center spots (hopefully for the next decade).

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014

Babcock wasnt even playing him in the top-6 all season because he was TERRIBLE last year. Brian Boyle started cancer treatments and scored more in his return.

Nylander cashed in because he knew he had to after scoring 60+. We have an amazing cap situation, please dont let us ruin it for some idea of finding hidden treasure in a 7m+ cap hit

He doesn't look like a gamer more than you'd like to see as well, had some casual screw ups in these playoffs. I remember one in particular leading to a goal as a direct result.

Should have been a routine gathering of the puck from side of net before moving the puck up ice on the other side. He took off before getting it on his stick and an opponent had an easy tap in goal since Andersen was already relaxing and about to stand up thinking the puck was moving out.

I soured on him after the long sit out followed by lackluster impact when he returned.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Saying the team needs more talent isn't exactly a revelation or a demand. I'm pretty sure Ray Shero's job is to make the team better, and he's going to do that. Just because it's not happening over night or on some fans personal timeline doesn't mean it's not happening at all.

Taylor Hall is also not stupid. I don't think he's sitting there going "get me this guy here and that guy there or I'm out of here". I think he simply wants to know that there's a plan in place, especially after the cluster**** that Edmonton was.

Getting Hughes could be absolutely huge in that regard as we're pretty much set up the middle for a while and Shero can focus on other needs now. Just imagine how different our future looks if we're pinning our hopes for a #2 center on Zacha instead of having Hughes and Nico holding down the top 2 center spots (hopefully for the next decade).
what level of improvement do you see being good enough for Hall?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Taylor Hall is also not stupid. I don't think he's sitting there going "get me this guy here and that guy there or I'm out of here". I think he simply wants to know that there's a plan in place, especially after the cluster**** that Edmonton was.

Believe what you want - it’s your right as a fan. If I were Hall, though, there’s no way I’d sign anything until at least January. I’d give Shero the benefit of the doubt enough to say I’d be open to signing, but no way I’d commit the last of my prime until I saw what was actually happening on the ice. Plans are nice, but results matter.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i'm lookin at potential LW suitors for hughes, strictly on who's got the most SA/60.

zucker and ferland are definitely name that come up (though that's been discussed at length), but has andreas johnsson been discussed around here (15th in s/60, shooting at 10%) considering the tight cap situation in toronto? he might be a nice piece.

also, alex nylander if we're willing to take a gamble (6.52 sh% this year and 8th out of all LW this year for s/60, though his sample size is small).

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
what level of improvement do you see being good enough for Hall?

Adding another top 6 winger and/or a top 4 defenseman would certainly help, and given that we have extra picks to use this summer, it's certainly doable.

Some people are also assuming that Hall wants to win immediately and that anything short of going all in this summer guarantees that he's gone, which I don't think is necessarily the case. Hall seems smart enough to understand that you can't just snap your fingers and fix everything at once.

Some people act like last offseason was the norm and that Shero isn't going to do anything again because...well I honestly don't know why people think that. Every offseason Shero has had the ammo to make moves he's done something (or at least tried to depending on how you view the Johansson and Mueller trades). In a summer where we have the #1 pick, extra picks, and cap space (and yes, I know people are tired of hearing it) I find it hard to believe that Shero isn't going to do something.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
i'm lookin at potential LW suitors for hughes, strictly on who's got the most SA/60.

zucker and ferland are definitely name that come up (though that's been discussed at length), but has andreas johnsson been discussed around here (15th in s/60, shooting at 10%) considering the tight cap situation in toronto? he might be a nice piece.

also, alex nylander if we're willing to take a gamble (6.52 sh% this year and 8th out of all LW this year for s/60, though his sample size is small).
From what Ive read, Johnsson is more likely to stay over Kapanen. Fits more roles throughout the lineup and Kapanen will cost more

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Adding another top 6 winger and/or a top 4 defenseman would certainly help, and given that we have extra picks to use this summer, it's certainly doable.

Some people are also assuming that Hall wants to win immediately and that anything short of going all in this summer guarantees that he's gone, which I don't think is necessarily the case. Hall seems smart enough to understand that you can't just snap your fingers and fix everything at once.

Some people act like last offseason was the norm and that Shero isn't going to do anything again because...well I honestly don't know why people think that. Every offseason Shero has had the ammo to make moves he's done something (or at least tried to depending on how you view the Johansson and Mueller trades). In a summer where we have the #1 pick, extra picks, and cap space (and yes, I know people are tired of hearing it) I find it hard to believe that Shero isn't going to do something.
Fair enough. Ill go on record and say I think its slightly unrealistic to instert a: potential top 3-6 center (Hughes), a top-6 winger, and a top-4 defenseman. However I think we end up doing that!

Not because we dont have the physical roster space but moreso its mind-blowing to think we can add so much talent and one of them costs nothing to acquire. Its moreso Im having trouble wrapping my head around it and so I cant believe it until I see it.

Plus it depends a lot on who. And thats probably the scariest part. What actually does a top-4 dman do for us if it isnt somebody who can play top pair minutes on the LD?

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
So he is going to base this big life decision on what a bunch of teenagers do in their first 20 or so NHL games ever.

Makes zero sense.

It actually makes tons of sense.

If the Devils start out 25-5, he will have a completely different view of the future as opposed to if they start out 5-25.

If the young players + whoever is brought in give enough for Hall to see the light at the end of the tunnel reflecting off the Stanley Cup, then yeah he’s going to want to stay.

kiwidevil

What UFA Dmen are we likely to look at and where do they fit into our lineup?
Trading for top 4 dmen is easily said, but costly business.

I still like the idea of Subban if his cap hit offsets some of his value. Although preds fans seem to wanna get rid if Ellis more than PK now after the playoffs.

Ruutu Tootoo

Oct 16, 2014
Morris County, NJ
Here’s the potential lineup I see opening night:

Hall-Hischier-UFA/Trade
UFA/Trade-Hughes-Palmieri
Zacha-Zajac-Bratt
Wood-Coleman-Anderson

Greene-Severson
Smith-Vatanen
Butcher-Santini

I’d like to see Ray Shero take a look at Tyler Tofolli. Off a down year, I think he could come cheap with one of our 2nds and another pick or prospect. A lot him in as a top 6 RW.

Pick up Gustav Nyquist in UFA to play LW.
Slot him as 2nd line LW.

They need to add defense, but I don’t know who is available that is worth the price, except for Karlsson but I doubt he’ll sign in NJ.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I actually prefer Kapanen (nothing on the right side that is super promising ) , but for taking on PM I thought you should at least get back someone who has done something not potential to do something like KK. It's probably the last yr they are able to use the money this way so trying to be creative. Doesn't have to be Willy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca