Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
It will be interesting to see what approach the GM of Seattle takes. McPhee gave them the blueprint but I doubt we'll see anymore Florida-esque terrible decisions. Everyone is going to be wary of it now. So there might not be as much low hanging fruit next time around.

Florida was a unique case of the organization being in such chaos that they lost both Marchessault and Smith.

McPhee also put himself in a very good position negotiation wise all things considered. Remains to be seen if the next GM can do that, but if the GM is smart there's means to improve the team using the draft or flipping players around it.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I don't know that, but it would be a fireable offense if Shero doesn't inquire about him. I don't know if Karlsson would have any interest in NJ but we should definitely go all in on him.

And considering that Ray went hard after Shattenkirk and also reached out to John Carlson last summer leads me to believe that he will be after Karlsson.

I believe the rumors that Ray tried to trade for Karlsson right before camp started. So if there’s no attempt to sign him this offseason, I think it’s for a good reason (we were on his no trade list, think he’ll be too expensive or worried about his injuries).

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I personally do not want any part of the player/GM thing with Hall. I want Hall to work with the trainers so he can stay on the ice and I want Shero to do what is best for the Devils long term. Colorado traded a player/GM candidate 2 years ago and made the playoffs both years since. NYI lost a 1C in FA and made the playoffs and won a round the following year.

I doubt Hall has anything like that in mind and it’s not even practical in hockey like it is in basketball.

He basically wants some assurances that Ray was not going to take a Sandy Adlerson approach. I’m confident that the message is that’s not going to be the case, and Hall will sign an extension and just be an elite and savvy hockey player.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I agree. But it also depends on what the team looks like by then and the amount you can/can't protect.

I mean...if you can convince them to let's say pick a Mirco Mueller instead of a Blake Coleman then you gladly send that 5th rounder to them as compensation. (This was an example, not what I actually think could happen).

We're actually set up extremely well for the expansion draft. Zajac, Coleman, and Palmieri will be UFA that year and Shero can try to do a handshake deal so they wont need to be protected.

Meanwhile, we'll likely have a top 4D (Smith), and top 6 forward (Hughes) that will be exempt.

I think we're looking at a Brett Seney level player being picked up from Seattle.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I believe the rumors that Ray tried to trade for Karlsson right before camp started. So if there’s no attempt to sign him this offseason, I think it’s for a good reason (we were on his no trade list, think he’ll be too expensive or worried about his injuries).

i think the deeper the sharks go, the more likely it is that he re-signs there. so, as a backup plan, shero should be looking at what players wilson might move to make room for him. i think they re-sign pavelski but even if they don’t, karlsson at 11M will take some roster massaging

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ
I feel like Hall's status and demand to add talent this year is forcing management's hand to sign/trade for a player or players that they dont necessarily want to. I dont want to just sign a guy. We probably arent a playoff team next year anyway, so I would rather wait for the right pieces. If Hall doesnt like that, trade him. He'll be broken down in 3-4 years anyway.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I feel like Hall's status and demand to add talent this year is forcing management's hand to sign/trade for a player or players that they dont necessarily want to. I dont want to just sign a guy. We probably arent a playoff team next year anyway, so I would rather wait for the right pieces. If Hall doesnt like that, trade him. He'll be broken down in 3-4 years anyway.

If Hughes is as expected and Ty Smith is as expected and we get league average goaltending all year, I don't see why we wouldnt be in the playoff discussion

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I also think its kind of BS that Vegas is exempt

by the time of that expansion draft Vegas will have what, 4 full seasons under their belt?

It's money related. The owners don't want to share any of the Seattle expansion money with Vegas so that's their reward for not getting a slice of the pie.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
It's money related. The owners don't want to share any of the Seattle expansion money with Vegas so that's their reward for not getting a slice of the pie.

This. I'm sure Vegas would LOVE to lose a 3rd liner / #4 defenseman in exchange for like $20 million or whatever it is. They're exempt from the Draft but they're missing out on a lot of money. If they could opt-in, they surely would.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
If you think he will be broken down in 3-4 years then why should we even resign him? Theoretically we are going to be paying for a player for 4-5 years that won't be providing much value...?

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
He absolutely never said this.

He didn’t make any demands, but it doesn’t take that much reading between the lines that if Ray’s message was “we’ll continue to build through the draft”, he would not be signing an extension.

It became a moot point after the lottery results. And I think the plan was to try and bring in talent anyway.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He absolutely never said this.
As if any NHL player ever would directly say that

Its implication and very easy to tell that Hall is waiting to sign until he sees ample upgrades because he most certainly isnt going into camp saying 'wow the kids look so much better, sign me up' or 'Damn we added Ty Smith and Jack Hughes? Ive never seen a team add 1st overalls and young talent from the system'.

Id be hard-pressed to find any other meaning from Hall's comments other than he is saying 'Get this team to playoff status or Im gone'. And Shero knows that.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
We are on Karlsson's no trade list? As in a team he will or will not go to?

And where is this older rumor about Karlsson I can read on, I never heard of that!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As if any NHL player ever would directly say that

Well don't put words in his mouth and attribute that exact sentiment to him. He certainly strongly implied he'd like to see upgrades but there's a difference between that and tying signing long-term to it.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Landing Hughes was a massive boon to Shero. Add a high volume shooter on the wing and Hall signs in July. If not, we'll get something we need one way or another in trade.

While Hall is a priority, he also knows Shero is a dispassionate pro and will shop him heavily in the offseason if he drags his feet. After Hall's first year here Ray basically asked him if he wanted to be traded. He got a commitment from Hall to play to his potential and lo and behold, the guy wins MVP.

Hall has said Hynes knows just what to say to him to get his best and we already know Shero did that after Hall's first year here so...I'm not worried. It will all work out one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese