Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I believe this hypothetical lineup is both very realistic and is a sure-fire playoff team. It also allows the Devils to continue to have flexibility going forward into summer 2020.

Realistic offseason - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Also - I think the Zacha and Butcher contracts are fair and realistic.

again there is literally no point to sign Johansson back if we acquire another wing. None.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Do you know if there’s any interest on our end?

I don't know that, but it would be a fireable offense if Shero doesn't inquire about him. I don't know if Karlsson would have any interest in NJ but we should definitely go all in on him.

And considering that Ray went hard after Shattenkirk and also reached out to John Carlson last summer leads me to believe that he will be after Karlsson.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
Lets just say Ty Smith actually turns out to be that good early

It wouldnt matter as it pertains to Hall - he wants upgrades BEFORE he signs and he isn't looking at Smith going 'Wow were adding a Charlie McAvoy'. Not even Jack Hughes is enough for Hall to stay since hes been spoiled by 1st overalls for years.

Its not what we think its what Hall thinks. And going into next season with the same defense + Smith IMO would be seen as 'no upgrades' to Hall
Yo I had no idea Taylor Hall posted on this site. What up Hallsy! Which defenseman can we upgrade to magically to make you stay? I’ll pass it along to Ray.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
i think people are romanticizing mojo’s time here a bit. he was ridiculously streaky and constantly injured...we should be staying far away. myers, i don’t really know...but if he getting more than 6M a year, we should probably stay away. that’s not the kind of player you want to overpay, same with gardiner
I think MoJo's a good player, but just doesn't fit our team. We really need a shooter.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Jacob Trouba is only slightly better than Damon Severson. We should not be looking to acquire Trouba unless we were to get him at a significant discount. With Trouba's upcoming contract, Severson will likely be the more valuable asset.

We should be looking to acquire 1 defenseman on this list of realistic targets. (Some more realistic than others)

Klefbom, Lindholm, Nurse, Fowler, Hutton, Morrissey, Matheson, Orlov, Leddy, Muzzin, Brodie, Murray, Skjei, Gardiner, Hanifin

Pretty good list - I'd argue that some of those guys are overpriced for what they bring - and/or have been locked up longterm - but - absolutely, we need to add to our squad - hopefully looking for a cap casualty or some guy who is looking for a payday and is being pushed by younger, less expensive options.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Kapanen and Fowler or Brodin are the targets I think are realistic and good fits for us.
I've actually really been stuck on the idea of TJ Brodie. He may be a cap casualty, is a LHD but plays predominantly on the right, is big and fast, good defensively, and has played mostly 1st pairing the last few years next to Giordano.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I think we need to take advantage of the deep UFA forward crop and sign at least one top 6 player using nothing but cap space. It would be silly not to I think

I would love Dzingel but Kapanen would be a great fit for this team. Plays fast and hard, pretty big body, good shot and hands. UFA options should be looked at too, but I feel like Kapanen is a great fit for us.

Reactions: Verdoux

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I would love Dzingel but Kapanen would be a great fit for this team. Plays fast and hard, pretty big body, good shot and hands. UFA options should be looked at too, but I feel like Kapanen is a great fit for us.

I agree Kapanen would be a fantastic fit on the New Jersey Devils. But what route do we take to acquire him?

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I agree Kapanen would be a fantastic fit on the New Jersey Devils. But what route do we take to acquire him?

I would assume Kapanens next contract will be 4+ million so the RFA compensation on that would be a 1st and a 3rd. I would not want to do that so maybe we can offer them a 2nd plus Santini or another depth D and other later picks since they will need as many cheap players as possible.

Reactions: Bet the Over

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Just heard that the main reason for Ray acquiring the 5th rounder from Columbus in 2022 was because of the expansion draft in 2021.

Sounds like Shero plans on having a real strong team by then and adding a 5th rounder gives him more ammunition to persuade Seattle to go in a certain direction when picking a player from the Devils. Sounds like it could be used like some of the deals Vegas made during their expansion draft.

Apparently he had offers for this year (6th or 7th rounders), but he opted for the higher pick in 2022 because of Seattle.

Makes more much sense now. Was really weird acquiring a pick three years from now at the time. But I get it now.

Reactions: Verdoux and Nubmer6

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
can anyone point me to taylor hall baybay? wanna use it for a funny.

24oc4i.jpg

My poor quality version, I believe there's another better one floating somewhere. :laugh:

Reactions: New Jersey

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I agree. But it also depends on what the team looks like by then and the amount you can/can't protect.

I mean...if you can convince them to let's say pick a Mirco Mueller instead of a Blake Coleman then you gladly send that 5th rounder to them as compensation. (This was an example, not what I actually think could happen).

Reactions: AfroThunder396

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
I think we need to take advantage of the deep UFA forward crop and sign at least one top 6 player using nothing but cap space. It would be silly not to.
We need to be in on Skinner.

Thats gives us a 1,2 punch of Hall and Skinner on the left to go with Nico and Hughes down the middle

Reactions: mtnet

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
It will be interesting to see what approach the GM of Seattle takes. McPhee gave them the blueprint but I doubt we'll see anymore Florida-esque terrible decisions. Everyone is going to be wary of it now. So there might not be as much low hanging fruit next time around.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Lets just say Ty Smith actually turns out to be that good early

It wouldnt matter as it pertains to Hall - he wants upgrades BEFORE he signs and he isn't looking at Smith going 'Wow were adding a Charlie McAvoy'. Not even Jack Hughes is enough for Hall to stay since hes been spoiled by 1st overalls for years.

Its not what we think its what Hall thinks. And going into next season with the same defense + Smith IMO would be seen as 'no upgrades' to Hall
I personally do not want any part of the player/GM thing with Hall. I want Hall to work with the trainers so he can stay on the ice and I want Shero to do what is best for the Devils long term. Colorado traded a player/GM candidate 2 years ago and made the playoffs both years since. NYI lost a 1C in FA and made the playoffs and won a round the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->