Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) IIl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I don't know how many times I have to say it. HOSSA IS STILL BEING PAID $1,000,000 LESS TAXES AND ESCROW. HE RECEIVES A SALARY. HE DID NOT GIVE UP A SINGLE DOLLAR BY CEASING TO PLAY IN THE NHL.

Nobody said he did. Capitalize whatever you want but YOU'RE THE ONE MISSING THE POINT. Of course he's still getting paid. He however "retired" when his salary, THE ONE HES BEING PAID AS YOU SO DILIGENTLY REMIND US ALL, dropped from $4,000,000 to $1,000,000. That raises some questions in some people's minds to the validity of the medical issue at hand. Maybe he justified whatever steps he had to take to play with the $4,000,000 but after making so much over the course of his career, the $1,000,000 a year wasn't worth the hassle. Never once did I say he gave up money.

Reactions: MilwaukeeDevil

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Nobody said he did. Capitalize whatever you want but YOU'RE THE ONE MISSING THE POINT. Of course he's still getting paid. He however "retired" when his salary, THE ONE HES BEING PAID AS YOU SO DILIGENTLY REMIND US ALL, dropped from $4,000,000 to $1,000,000. That raises some questions in some people's minds to the validity of the medical issue at hand. Maybe he justified whatever steps he had to take to play with the $4,000,000 but after making so much over the course of his career, the $1,000,000 a year wasn't worth the hassle. Never once did I say he gave up money.

I'm not missing the point. There's no difference in outcomes for Hossa here - either way, he receives his salary, so why not stop playing when you're making $4M? Then that's $4M for free that you don't have to risk your body and well-being for. I think I read he played through the problem for 2 years, although this article from the Athletic says that it was 6 years ago that it began, but it wasn't until his final season that he began taking the drug to treat it because it was getting progressively worse. The drug has severe side effects: "[It] can be so dangerous the FDA has given it a black box warning. Some of the possible side effects include an increased risk of serious infections, higher blood pressure, kidney disease, tumor and skin cancer. Hossa went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for testing every two weeks."

Hossa had plenty of back issues beyond whatever this is so he could've gotten LTIR with those I'm sure.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
A Nylander-type contract going wrong can be exactly the type of move that prevents us from contending sooner than later

5 more years at ~7mil for a guy who produces no better than Bratt when he isnt being carried by Matthews. Add onto that hed immediately be the softest player on the team with zero redeeming qualities in tough playoff hockey...

I mean sure most players produce better when they play with better players. He'd be playing with a good center here too. But you're using a sample size in which he shot 5.4% and a couple months of the season including training camp. He shot 10.9% and 10.7% in the previous two seasons. He put up 13 points in 22 games as a 19 year old and that was before Matthews was drafted by the Leafs. In the AHL that year he put 45 points in 38 games. In Nylander's draft+1 season he put up 20 points in 21 games in the SHL and 32 in 37 in the AHL (whereas Bratt put 22 points in 46 games in the swedish 2nd league). I like Bratt a lot and can't wait to see his growth but he's not at the same level of producer that Nylander has shown (at least not yet). You clearly hate Nylander so I doubt that'll change your mind anyway.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I mean sure most players produce better when they play with better players. He'd be playing with a good center here too. But you're using a sample size in which he shot 5.4% and a couple months of the season including training camp. He shot 10.9% and 10.7% in the previous two seasons. He put up 13 points in 22 games as a 19 year old and that was before Matthews was drafted by the Leafs. In the AHL that year he put 45 points in 38 games. In Nylander's draft+1 season he put up 20 points in 21 games in the SHL and 32 in 37 in the AHL (whereas Bratt put 22 points in 46 games in the swedish 2nd league). I like Bratt a lot and can't wait to see his growth but he's not at the same level of producer that Nylander has shown (at least not yet). You clearly hate Nylander so I doubt that'll change your mind anyway.
Youre right, I do. So i probably should just steer clear of discussing him

Lets just say if we acquired William Nylander I would consider cancelling my season tickets. And if I didnt i'd boo him every game

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I believe this hypothetical lineup is both very realistic and is a sure-fire playoff team. It also allows the Devils to continue to have flexibility going forward into summer 2020.

Realistic offseason - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Also - I think the Zacha and Butcher contracts are fair and realistic.
If that's the defense we enter the season with then you can likely take Taylor Hall off of that roster. That would cement all of the 'Shero isnt doing anything' comments some make

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
If that's the defense we enter the season with then you can likely take Taylor Hall off of that roster. That would cement all of the 'Shero isnt doing anything' comments some make

I think we are all underestimating the impact Ty Smith will have. Look at what Heiskanen did this season for Dallas. Look at what McAvoy did for Boston last season.

I think McAvoy is a very accurate and fair comparison for Ty Smith.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think we are all underestimating the impact Ty Smith will have. Look at what Heiskanen did this season for Dallas. Look at what McAvoy did for Boston last season.

Lets just say Ty Smith actually turns out to be that good early

It wouldnt matter as it pertains to Hall - he wants upgrades BEFORE he signs and he isn't looking at Smith going 'Wow were adding a Charlie McAvoy'. Not even Jack Hughes is enough for Hall to stay since hes been spoiled by 1st overalls for years.

Its not what we think its what Hall thinks. And going into next season with the same defense + Smith IMO would be seen as 'no upgrades' to Hall

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Lets just say Ty Smith actually turns out to be that good early

It wouldnt matter as it pertains to Hall - he wants upgrades BEFORE he signs and he isn't looking at Smith going 'Wow were adding a Charlie McAvoy'. Not even Jack Hughes is enough for Hall to stay since hes been spoiled by 1st overalls for years.

Its not what we think its what Hall thinks. And going into next season with the same defense + Smith IMO would be seen as 'no upgrades' to Hall

Decent and fair points.

Take a look at it now, I added a signed Tyler Myers - 4 years, 6.375 AAV.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Decent and fair points.

Take a look at it now, I added a signed Tyler Myers - 4 years, 6.375 AAV.
Whether its Myers or somebody else - we will most likely acquire a defenseman and Im anxious to start getting an idea of who

Problem is we hear just as little to no insider information as we did when Lou was around. That was one thing I was hoping for with Shero but unfortunately that wasn't the case

Last edited:

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey

That's nitpicking. Of the 2017 draft class in their D+2 years (this year) there has been 1 guy who's been a legit top 4 dman, Heiskanen who was a lotto pick. To compare the 2016 draft had 3 guys, McAvoy Chychrun and Girard, who played on that level in their D+3 year this past year. (Not counting Serg as he was 5th on that team in ATOI per game, and didn't look good in an expanded role after Hedman went down either). McAvoy and Chychrun were the only legit top 4 guys in their D+2 years. I love Smith but expecting him to be a top 4 dman in his D+2 year as a 20 year old is not something we should be counting on. If it happens it will be a nice surprise

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
That's nitpicking. Of the 2017 draft class in their D+2 years (this year) there has been 1 guy who's been a legit top 4 dman, Heiskanen who was a lotto pick. To compare the 2016 draft had 3 guys, McAvoy Chychrun and Girard, who played on that level in their D+3 year this past year. (Not counting Serg as he was 5th on that team in ATOI per game, and didn't look good in an expanded role after Hedman went down either). McAvoy and Chychrun were the only legit top 4 guys in their D+2 years. I love Smith but expecting him to be a top 4 dman in his D+2 year as a 20 year old is not something we should be counting on. If it happens it will be a nice surprise

Are you aware of the season Ty Smith just had in the WHL

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If I grew wings, I could fly.

I doubt it. Even if you grew wings you’d have to grow the muscles to operate them and then you’d be so heavy you wouldn’t be able to take off. Oh you were being facetious? Wow I need to study up on my metaphors and similes. Sorry my bad.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Anyway we can get Meier or Lebanc if they are cap casualties. Would require SJS extending Karlsson long term. Either player would fit in well here.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Anyway we can get Meier or Lebanc if they are cap casualties. Would require SJS extending Karlsson long term. Either player would fit in well here.
I really doubt it, think they’d sooner let Pavelski go then losing one of those guys

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Labanc is a yes. I think he could available and I'd be highly interested, as you can tell from my avatar. Which was not from a lost bet!:P

I wouldn't wanna see him anywhere else, if he leaves there. Don't think Meier will be available.
I really doubt it, think they’d sooner let Pavelski go then losing one of those guys
I'm torn on Pavelski. I was a big proponent in letting Pavelski walk at the end of this deal a year or two ago, but not anymore. I really don't wanna have to give him a 3 year deal either though.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I believe this hypothetical lineup is both very realistic and is a sure-fire playoff team. It also allows the Devils to continue to have flexibility going forward into summer 2020.

Realistic offseason - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Also - I think the Zacha and Butcher contracts are fair and realistic.

i think people are romanticizing mojo’s time here a bit. he was ridiculously streaky and constantly injured...we should be staying far away. myers, i don’t really know...but if he getting more than 6M a year, we should probably stay away. that’s not the kind of player you want to overpay, same with gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->