Devils 2019 offseason team discussion (news and notes) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Palat, Johnson, Killorn, and Stamkos all signed tax discount contracts that included full no trade clauses. None of them will be traded. If Tampa trades someone, it will have to be Miller and/or Callahan.

No one wants Callahan. The idea is that something is coming with him to help Tampa out of their cap issues if they want to try and sign Karlsson. If not Sergachev, maybe their first round pick this year.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
This team isn’t contending next year and we should be avoiding win now moves.
a signing like Karlsson isn't just for next year. just like re-signing Hall isn't an all in for the next two seasons. they're elite players in this league not the Eriksson, Lucic, Okposo, etc. UFA signings

getting a top pair d like that allows Severson to settle into a second pair role, Vatanen to be dealt, and then obviously the on-ice benefit. And if you can get that through UFA then that's great because you didn't lose assets other than cap space. Now it'd be nice if he was younger/less injured but beggars can't be choosers in that scenario. Sadly it seems to be a pipedream to get him though

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
What's the deal with taxes in Florida? I checked NJ taxes and it's 1.75%, that's not the issue, is it?

NJ Division of Taxation - New Jersey Tax Rate Information

Gross Income Tax

Beginning January 1, 2019, the withholding rate on income over five million dollars is 11.8 percent.

It most definitely will make a difference for players. Why would you forfeit millions of dollars over the course of your deal just to play in NJ?

I'd much rather go play in Florida, Dallas, Nashville, Vegas, and soon to be Seattle where there is no income tax.

Reactions: mdj12784

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Really like the idea of Hayes the more I think of it. I’m sure he can play LW as needed but he would be a great depth C to have, we can shift Zacha to LW or have Hughes start as a winger on Hayes or Zachas line which would give him protection.

Theoretically:

Hall Hischier Bratt
Hughes Hayes Palmieri
Zacha Zajac Coleman
Wood Rooney Bastian

The idea of having Hughes setting up two big players who drive the net like Palms and Hayes intrigues me. Those last 3 lines are also BIG lines which is great. We need some more physicality. I’d be extremely comfortable rolling with that forward group if we cannot sign one of the premier scoring wingers in free agency. Hayes would be a shrewd move by Shero. All else that is needed is a big upgrade on D.

Reactions: Bet the Over

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
NJ Division of Taxation - New Jersey Tax Rate Information

Gross Income Tax

Beginning January 1, 2019, the withholding rate on income over five million dollars is 11.8 percent.

It most definitely will make a difference for players. Why would you forfeit millions of dollars over the course of your deal just to play in NJ?

I'd much rather go play in Florida, Dallas, Nashville, Vegas, and soon to be Seattle where there is no income tax.
Not much else to do in areas like Dallas, Nashville, Vegas, Seattle, Raleigh, Phoenix besides the cities themselves and trust me, I traveled to all three of those cities many times. People like the NYC metro area because there is so much to do and so many more neighboring cities close by. Also if you want to start a family a higher cost of living usually translates to good education systems. I have traveled to 40 states and many countries and yet my favorite area is the shore towns of NJ and the nice areas in North NJ. This area has it all.

Reactions: Bet the Over

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Really like the idea of Hayes the more I think of it. I’m sure he can play LW as needed but he would be a great depth C to have, we can shift Zacha to LW or have Hughes start as a winger on Hayes or Zachas line which would give him protection.

Theoretically:

Hall Hischier Bratt
Hughes Hayes Palmieri
Zacha Zajac Coleman
Wood Rooney Bastian

The idea of having Hughes setting up two big players who drive the net like Palms and Hayes intrigues me. Those last 3 lines are also BIG lines which is great. We need some more physicality. I’d be extremely comfortable rolling with that forward group if we cannot sign one of the premier scoring wingers in free agency. Hayes would be a shrewd move by Shero. All else that is needed is a big upgrade on D.
I don't think so because long term you would want Hughes as a top 6 c so signing Hayes (his current AAV is 5.1 mil) so I'd assume he'd at least get around 6+ on a long term contract and having that when he's not going to be a top 6 center as soon as this season seems like a bad idea when you have multiple raises coming up soon with Hall, Hischier, Bratt, Butcher, etc. And on top of that Zajac/Zacha can be effective 3c's so the Devils don't really need Hayes for that role either

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I think Callahan would waive it if the alternative was a buyout. I would take Callahan if Tamps paid us assets to take him off their hands, but is Devils management willing to pay him all that money?

For the last time, there is no internal cap. Ownership has said this a million times and there’s no reason to believe it isn’t true.

So yes, if Ray thinks what comes with Callahan will make the team better, ownership doesn’t care what they have to pay him.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I don't think so because long term you would want Hughes as a top 6 c so signing Hayes (his current AAV is 5.1 mil) so I'd assume he'd at least get around 6+ on a long term contract and having that when he's not going to be a top 6 center as soon as this season seems like a bad idea.
Long term has Zajac going to 4th line so Hayes can go to 3C. Also Zacha can easily play wing if he is still around. Thats not an issue. Going Hischier Hughes Hayes/Zacha down the center is pretty good.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Long term has Zajac going to 4th line so Hayes can go to 3C. Also Zacha can easily play wing if he is still around. Thats not an issue. Going Hischier Hughes Hayes/Zacha down the center is pretty good.
and then you're spending 10+ mil on your bottom six centers for the next couple years. If Zacha hasn't cut out a role as 3c by the time Zajac is not suitable for that position I still wouldn't be that worried in finding someone for that role especially not so much that you find someone for that role 2-3 years in advance.
If the Devils draft Hughes over Kakko I don't think they should go after any UFA center on a long term deal

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
and then you're spending 10+ mil on your bottom six centers for the next couple years. If Zacha hasn't cut out a role as 3c by the time Zajac is not suitable for that position I still wouldn't be that worried in finding someone for that role especially not so much that you find someone for that role 2-3 years in advance
Zajacs cap hit comes off in two years and who knows what’s going to happen with Zacha. I can see us bridging him at a great deal. I see no issues. Hayes is only 27 in May I think he would be a good acquisition if we miss out on the big fish .

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
For the last time, there is no internal cap. Ownership has said this a million times and there’s no reason to believe it isn’t true.

So yes, if Ray thinks what comes with Callahan will make the team better, ownership doesn’t care what they have to pay him.

The reason to believe it might not be true is that we've been one of the lowest salary teams for years now. I get the argument that the team wasn't in a position where it made sense to sign UFAs, but until the team starts spending money we really don't know.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Zajacs cap hit comes off in two years and who knows what’s going to happen with Zacha. I can see us bridging him at a great deal. I see no issues.
that goes back to my point of why do the Devils need to find someone for that role 2-3 years in advance? Zajac can hold 3C for the next two years, if Zacha isn't suited for that role in two years or is playing wing then the Devils can find someone in that offseason. I don't see the need to sign a long term deal for a 3c at ~6mil this offseason. That way they can be flexible as can be, especially with the Seattle expansion draft coming up

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The reason to believe it might not be true is that we've been one of the lowest salary teams for years now. I get the argument that the team wasn't in a position where it made sense to sign UFAs, but until the team starts spending money we really don't know.

Admittedly I would have felt better about things if we took on a few more short-term cap dump contracts to get more assets while we were clearly in rebuilding mode. The only real cap dump trade we did was Marc Savard who had next to no actual money coming to him. I don't really want to hear but Nico but Hughes but Hall (assuming they all do get signed to big money deals in the near future), they still have to spend SOME outside money soon, even Shero himself publicly acknowledged that.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Theoretically:

Hall Hischier Bratt
Hughes Hayes Palmieri
Zacha Zajac Coleman
Wood Rooney Bastian

Id love adding Hayes as he fits what we need in size and top-6 ability.

But hed have to agree that playing center isnt a necessity for him. Hughes will be a center one day even if it isnt for the first year (which I think he will by years end). If Hayes is fine with playing center during injuries and taking faceoffs as a winger - id pay him handsomely

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I would just absolutely love Artemi Panarin, Ryan Callahan, and Cam Fowler on this team.

Sign Artemi Panarin 7 years 73.5 million. 10.5 million AAV.
Trade McLeod + 2020 1st round pick + Quenneville + Mueller to Anaheim for Cam Fowler.
Trade 2019 34th overall pick to Tampa Bay for Callahan + 2019 27th overall pick + 2020 2nd round pick.

2019-20 LINEUP

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Panarin - Hughes - Palmieri
Zacha - Zajac - Coleman
Wood - Rooney - Callahan

Fowler - Severson
Smith - Vatanen
Greene - Butcher

Schneider
Blackwood

Scratches: Agostino, Boqvist, Santini
Minors: Davies, Anderson, Carrick, Seney, Bastian, Gabriel
Let go: Noesen, Stafford, Yaklovev

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I wouldn't mind going after Joonas Donskoi if he makes it to UFA. Could be a very solid pickup. Put up good numbers in limited minutes with San Jose this year. Almost .5 ppg playing 13 min/gp. We have a hole at 2RW and may be able to plug him there with good linemates and solid minutes.

I'd imagine he'll have interest this offseason. I wonder what @Bleedred thoughts are on him since he watches the Sharks wayyyy more than I do
I'd have interest in Donskoi over here, but I'm not sure I'd want him as a lock for the top 6. I'd give him whatever on a one year deal, maybe a two year deal.

He's pretty good for the minutes he plays. His production is pretty damn good for his limited time, but he's also currently in a ridiculous Cammalleri/Ryder 36 game goal drought.

He ended up in Pete's doghouse too.

On second thought, we probably should stay away from him, as he's a Florida Panthers draft pick that never played a game there and since the Panthers and Dale Tallon always make the right decisions and always know what they're doing, it's probably best to stay away from him!:sarcasm:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
What's the deal with taxes in Florida? I checked NJ taxes and it's 1.75%, that's not the issue, is it?
We have no state income tax here.

It's all generated through tourism.

Some life! :DD

Wages are a bit lower (they really aren't if you're an NHL player, as long as the teams here are willing to pay you) and homeowners insurance is woefully high though.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I would just absolutely love Artemi Panarin, Ryan Callahan, and Cam Fowler on this team.

Sign Artemi Panarin 7 years 73.5 million. 10.5 million AAV.
Trade McLeod + 2020 1st round pick + Quenneville + Mueller to Anaheim for Cam Fowler.
Trade 2019 34th overall pick to Tampa Bay for Callahan + 2019 27th overall pick + 2020 3rd round pick.

2019-20 LINEUP

Hall - Hischier - Bratt
Panarin - Hughes - Palmieri
Boqvist - Zacha - Callahan
Wood - Zajac - Coleman

Fowler - Severson
Smith - Vatanen
Greene - Butcher

Schneider
Blackwood

Scratches: Agostino, Rooney, Santini
Minors: Davies, Anderson, Carrick, Seney, Bastian, Gabriel
Let go: Noesen, Stafford, Yaklovev

that callahan trade is just bad, adding 5.8 million in salary to move 7 spots up in the draft and a 3rd for the draft the year after? On top of that playing him on a higher line than Coleman ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad